Author Topic: clutch in 4106  (Read 15901 times)

Offline luvrbus

Re: clutch in 4106
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 06:09:22 AM »
Should be straight forward swap RJ after you toss the slotted flywheel from the GM and replace it with a flat surface flywheel from another 8v71 the throw out bearing will be a off the self item a little linkage modification you are there IMO

Bet you a Pepsi I could do a change in less than a day at my age and have a better set up without all the springs and linkage on what you call a mouse trap ( a good name) that is one ugly setup to make a clutch work watching Dan set Red Ryders mouse trap up made me wonder how many fingers has that rig bitten off over the years :-\

Fwiw Eagles had a double disk clutch pull type with a flat flywheel most if not all of those have been changed over to a single disk mushroom type so easy on the leg and for adjustments

Anyone that can adjust a automobile clutch can adjust one hell you don't even need a type measure or special gauge, like Mark said times have changed

I know most of you GM guys don't really care for change on those buses I hear all the time it worked for 50 years lol
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 08:05:27 AM »
Should be straight forward swap RJ after you toss the slotted flywheel from the GM and replace it with a flat surface flywheel from another 8v71

That seems easy enough. . . A "flat surface" flywheel should be fairly common in truck boneyards.

. . .the throw out bearing will be a off the self item

GM busnut at the local NAPA store: "I need a throw out bearing."  Pimple-faced kid at his computer: "What's it fit?"  GM busnut: "I don't know, Clifford says it's an off the shelf item."  PFK says: "I've got a whole aisle full of throw out bearings, which one do you want?"  GM busnut: "One that fits a single disk mushroom."  PFK: "What have YOU been smokin', mister?"

???
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 08:29:19 AM »
You stay out of those places RJ there is not much to choose from in throw out bearings in the truck and bus world one will work that is pretty much a standard size of input shaft on a GM it's nothing special you do know a mushroom clutch can be a pull type or a push type ? 

It will work I'm pretty sure everything that fits the 4501 clutch will work on the 4106

Offline jimsflx

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 02:04:26 PM »
my gm book has a chapter for the air assist clutch that was a option on the coach. mine  has a mouse trap and it has been altered very badley. do not see how it could help? so it is not going back on. my book does not show one. would like a air assist but cannot find one. thanks jim
jim&roenie seagraves sebring fl. 4106-3083

Offline Red Rider

• God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 05:59:58 PM »
I must be one of the lucky ones. Dan West (utahclaimjumper) set my clutch and "mousetrap" up when we changed the engine. It works so softly that my 140 lb and 72 year old legs don't even care. My 06 is so easy to drive after these changes that I'll have to go for a couple of thousand miles ride just to enjoy it.
Mike AKA; Red Rider 4106-1885

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 06:24:13 PM »
I didn't think yours was that bad with the old setup Mikey never drove it after the change though

Offline bs4104

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 08:02:53 AM »
Clifford: Mike had some good help finding one of the better (clutch) laying around, You know how things in Pahrump just don't go bad!!!  Bruce
102A3 N14 Auto Shift

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 08:34:29 AM »
Only time will tell Bruce that engine had some rust when I pulled a inspection covers but the rings still had the spring back he may be lucky in the long run and may not be so lucky  

There was somethings I would have replaced while it out that didn't cost that much like the old rotten blower rubber coupling and governor linkage boots between the heads and blower  but he was told that the blower boot wasn't available any longer by who I have no idea 

I would have gave him a blower end cover to change over to the new style 1 clamp seal but they didn't want to pull the blower

I have him a new blower boot and linkage boots for when he pulls the blower to fix the leaks lol 10 years sitting in the back of dump truck under a tarp will take a toll Marvel Oil is good stuff but not that good, after installing new injectors it did sound good I admit and the price was right, Mikey is a good guy I hope it does work out for him 

good luck

Offline Red Rider

• God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 12:58:57 PM »
Hey Clifford,

Thanks for getting the air compressor off the old engine for me. Sorry we missed Doyle. Looks like a nice job being done on that Eagle.

I thought you might like to know that our trip to Avi was flawless. I used a little under a 1/2 gal. of oil during the 600 mile run. The average speed was 60 MPH including all the grades en-route. Absolutely no heating issues even though it was 97* when we left Laughlin.

Thanks again for all your help.

Offline jimsflx

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 03:12:15 PM »
redrider, can you post a picture of that mouse trap? mine looks like crap some one sure messed it up. the top springs look like they are valve springs. i am not going to put it back on till i can get it back the way it sould be. thanks jim

Offline Red Rider

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 03:25:41 PM »
to tell the truth -- I m definitely technologically challenged. I'll have to get one of the Grand Kids to handle that chore.

You are correct about the looks of that contraception. That main spring will cause you to be very careful. When Dan set mine however, it was all assembled and be simply adjusted it. I say simply because he knew what he was doing. I'll try and get him to add to this thread.

Offline jimsflx

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 03:50:22 PM »
thanks mike, i am the same way. i would like to use it. i do not know if the mouse trap was  some thing from gm or after market. thanks jim

Offline jimsflx

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 06:59:39 PM »
can someone give me a phone no.for a shop or person that knows about 4 speeds in a 4106. i need to talk not type. thanks jim

Offline jimsflx

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 02:21:24 PM »
can we get back to the post? we have check every thing and it still will not go into gear. thanks jim

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 04:40:36 PM »
What's wrong with Luke or the guy in Ca Ted the expert on GM buses I do know if some builder puts the certain type lining on backwards they won't release on any bus been through that with a clutch in a Eagle before or if a pilot bushing or bearing is bad in the crankshaft end it will cause it not to release

good luck

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal