Author Topic: NC Bus-Nut Gathering is History  (Read 4481 times)

Offline gene lewis

NC Bus-Nut Gathering is History
« on: May 21, 2013, 05:08:04 AM »
Wow, what a weekend

The NC Bus-Nuts Gathering is now in the history books!

There was plenty of fellowship, and meeting old and new friends.  This was a weekend of R&R in a beautiful, quiet, peaceful Kampground (KOA Kampground @ Exit 61, Wade, NC) where we eat extremely well, kick back and told tales as well as share lots of knowledge.

We had 17 units representing the whole spectrum of self contained coaches.  There were the Converted Buses (in all stages of construction) and this year we had 5th wheelers, Class C, and regular motor homes as well.  An unexpected feature was Conway Twitty’s Coach.  An MCI built for him by Custom Coach of Columbus, Ohio.

Probably the highlight was each owner had the opportunity to “Show off their rig”.  This was a fun time had by all. 

The award (if we had one-we didn’t) for the rig traveling the most miles would go to George LaRosa of New York.  He and his MCI made it down and he can tell you some stories about traffic.

A great time was had by all participants.  Plans are in place for the 2014 NC Bus-Nuts Gathering.  May 16-18, 2014.   Should U have an interest then mark your calendar now!
Work like you don't need the money; Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody is watching.
What a journey in NC.
Gene - 05 Eagle

I-95 at Dunn, 12 miles W. on US 421. Some tools and know-how. Coffee on-we'll talk buses. Bus troubles – can & will assist as far as cable-toe will permit.

Offline flynbanjo

Re: NC Bus-Nut Gathering is History
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 08:01:42 AM »
Sounds like we missed a great gathering.  We will have to put it on the calender for the future.  One Question.  Which of Conway's buses made it to the rally?  I have seen pictures of a MC-9 that Conway reportedly owned and I have seen a newer MCI that the Lewis Family bought from his estate. 
Steven
81 MCI MC9
Hudson, Florida

Offline gene lewis

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:32:08 AM »
According to the present owners they bought it from the Lewis Family and it is the one that he was found passed out in the bathroom the day he passed. 
The Lewis family have offered to buy it back according to the present owners. 
In the rear he had his own apartment, Bed, closets, surround sound, referigater, microwave, coffee maker (original still works and is reported to make a gooo...d cup of coffee), and bathroom.
Work like you don't need the money; Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody is watching.
What a journey in NC.
Gene - 05 Eagle

I-95 at Dunn, 12 miles W. on US 421. Some tools and know-how. Coffee on-we'll talk buses. Bus troubles – can & will assist as far as cable-toe will permit.

Offline Seville

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 02:15:20 PM »
Thank You Gene ! I had a great time and plan to come down again next year. Regarding traffic, on Friday morning, I left a campground 20 miles north of Baltimore. Once I was midway through Baltimore and DC, I hit stop and go traffic all the way to Richmond, VA !!!
I was loosing my mind !!

That stretch of I-95 between Baltimore and Richmond is no joke !! I will avoid that at all costs next time I am traveling south.

Anyway, thanks again Gene for a very nice time ! :)
New York City
1984 MC9 6v92T

Offline flynbanjo

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:09:55 PM »
Gene,  I thought that might be the one.  I remember seeing it at the bluegrass shows.  Certainly looked like a nice bus but I never had the opportunity to see the inside. 

Thanks
Steven
81 MCI MC9
Hudson, Florida

Offline DMoedave

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 07:35:11 PM »
Hey Seville, we run out of Long Island south alot and we always go 78 out to Harrisburg and south on 81 to 66 towards washington then 17 south coming out to 95 at Fredricksburg south of Washington and north of richmond. it adds travel time but no tolls and no where near the stress. The only time we will run 95 thru wash and baltimore to NY is if there is freezing rain or snow falling we stick closer to the coast. Where in NY are you?
we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!

Offline Seville

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 09:20:30 AM »
Hi DMoedave,
 That sounds like a great route to head south! Also a lot more scenic. I will follow your route next time.
Unless, I am going to DC, I never want pass through I-95 again in that area.  I'm sure you have some horror stories of your own traveling that route.

I live in Brooklyn, in the Williamsburgh section. I work on the Lower East side of Manhattan, so it's an easy commute right over the bridge to work.
I park the bus in Secaucus, NJ because it is so much cheaper to park over there.

I see that you live in Long Island and PA. That sounds nice. I love PA and often go camping there.
I would like to meet you one day in person and check out your bus. I love GM buses. What engine do you have in your coach ?
New York City
1984 MC9 6v92T

Offline BRUISER

• iMPAKS
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 12:33:53 PM »
Thanks for a great weekend.. myself and the kids had a great time

we hope to come next year also..
iMPAKS.com
Raleigh, NC
1983 MCI MC-9

Offline Slow Rider

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 07:48:03 AM »
If you have to stick to the east coast then once you get around Baltimore take 97 south to 3 to 301 to Richmond, much nicer ride.

Frank
The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal