Author Topic: need route for air line in MC8  (Read 8533 times)

Offline ChuckMC8

• 1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM
Re: need route for air line in MC8
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 06:12:05 PM »
So the goose egg on my head has eased up a bit and I'm finally finished with the air line install fiasco, and here's the promised resolution.

as noted in the previous post, my throttle rod had a junction in the first bay. There was a fabric sleeve/conduit that ran from the front to the rear of the bus, the only exception is about a 6 inch break where the connection was made. I guess that enabled them to use to equal lengths of rod for the throttle, each being 18' or so.

what happend when I started pulling the rod out the front,(without knowing there was a junction in the rod) the splice nut on the rod began wadding up the fabric conduit until it had enough piled up to not allow it to go through the next grommet.

If anyone else needs to remove the rod or pull in an ir line for the air throttle, here's the way:

1) (most important) Put on a helmet and tell the wife not to blow the horn or yell if you are inside the bay.
2) remove the tunnel cover in the forward bay and locate the connector nut on the throttle rod. Disconnect the junction nut and    seperate the 2 peices of throttle rod.
3) 3/8" air brake line is a great fit on the throttle rod. Here's the odd part-In the first bay,slide the air brake tube onto the end of the rod and secure with electrical tape.Then pull the throttle rod out the front bringing the air line with it. Pull the air line on out the front untill the end is in the bay (You'll have 20' or so of air line coming out the front of the bus)
4) Then......in the bay, hook the end of the air line onto the REAR section of throttle rod, go to the engine compartment and pull it out the back of the bus.
5) When air line appears in the engine bay, quit for the day.

So in essence what happens is that you feed the air line from the middle of the bus, first to the front and pull it all to the back.
There was no rust or gunk involved, the rod was slick and polished as someone mentioned in a previous post. I hope this helps anyone else who needs to do this-

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

Offline Stan

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 06:29:35 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Chuck. I can't think of any reason for putting a joint in the middle of the rod. While you were iin the front bay tunnel. did you notice if they also had a joint in the clutch and shifter rods or are you on automatic with cable control? Anyone wanting to do the same thing will appreciarte the lump on your head. I suppose it would be cruel to ask why you didn't look up the rod in the parts book.

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 06:43:33 PM »
Fabric liner huh?  Obviously I never let knowledge get in the way of offering an opinion on how to fix something.  ;)
Glad you got the air line in place.  That's the hard part...right?
JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline ChuckMC8

• 1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2006, 05:49:46 AM »
This was more of a drawn out process than would normally be- Due to a tight schedule, I was only able to work on the bus project for about 30 minutes each day. Normally, I would have found the problem quickly if I could have stayed on the job.
Funny thing is, another bus nut and myself talked over the phone while we each looked at the page in the parts manual and didnt catch the junction in the rod. Typical MCI manual, the throttle rod has 25 peices listed with a tiny illustration.
We both missed it.
 My bus is an auto, So, I dont know about the clutch/shifter rods.
 Onto the next!
Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal