Author Topic: You have to keep smiling  (Read 7199 times)

Offline boxcarOkie

You have to keep smiling
« on: June 02, 2013, 09:56:51 AM »
Well, the building guy just left, he said they will most likely "total my barn" as it is structurally unsound.  So I guess it is the Insurance deal next, part of the game plan I suppose?  You have to keep smiling if you live in tornado alley, rule of life.

We had thunder-garbage and twisters last Friday, and I know we are scheduled for more it is springtime in the Heartland.  This time of the year, all of the local weatherman kind of get that glassy-eye look, sort of like a deer in the headlights, and they often go off the deep-end of the pool.  Here lately for good reason.

Last week was such the case, everything from baseball size hail, to teacup size was described.  18-24 twisters in ONE DAY .... The apocalyptic end of the world for me and the Misses ...  It did however drop 8.5 inches of rain on us, and the pond filled up in just a matter of an hour or so, went from 16” to something like 43” in the blink of an eye.

This most likely would scare the be-Jesus out of most of you, but we here in the Heartland, we are sadly, kind of used to it.  So in order to cope with the loss of “our regular programming” for hours on end, we have developed a game of sorts.  The Weather Guesser Game.  Here are the rules.

Gary England Drinking Game

Pre-game
1. Everyone selects a storm chaser other than Val Castor. Every time Gary talks to your storm chaser, you take one drink. Take two drinks every time we see footage from your storm chaser. Take four drinks if your storm chaser says "tornado on the ground."
2. Everyone selects a county other than Pottawatomie County. Every time Gary mentions your county, you take one drink. Take two drinks every time we see footage from your county. Take four drinks if a tornado touches down in your county.

One drink
1. Take one drink every time Gary says the following:
"Hook echo" | "Updraft" | "Metro" | "Doppler radar" | "Wall cloud" | Mezo-Cyclone - Vortex - "Ranger 9" | "Underground" | "Mobile home"
2. When Gary gives a list of counties, take one drink for every county in the list.
3. Take one drink every time Gary interrupts a program. Take one drink if Gary says "You're not missing any of [program name]." Take one drink when Gary says "We'll keep you advised."

Two drinks
1. Take two drinks every time Gary says the following:
"Baseball-sized hail" | "Waterloo Road" | "Pottawatomie County" | "Deer Creek High School"
2. Take two drinks every time Gary mentions the following towns:
Altus
Burns Flat
Dill City
El Reno
Gotebo
Hydro
Lookeba
Meeker
Mulhall
Oktaha
Olustee
Shattuck
Slaughterville
Tryon
Union City
Vici
Waukomis
Wayne (or Payne)
Weleetka
Wetumkah
   (Extra bonus points if you can correctly pronounce most of these town names without the help of your second cousin) 3. Take two drinks every time Gary talks to Val Castor.

Three drinks
1. Take three drinks if we see footage from Val Castor.
2. Take three drinks if we see footage from Pottawatomie County.
3. Take three drinks if Gary mentions the following:
"Immediate tornado precautions"
"National Weather Service"
"Mesocyclone"
"Portable Radio"
"Take shelter"
"Tornado warning in effect until ..."

Four drinks
1. Take four drinks if Ranger 9 must land to refuel.
2. Take four drinks if Gary issues his own tornado warning, not recognized by the NWS or says the following:
"Will someone please answer that phone?" | "Do you see power flashes?"
3. Take four drinks if a shirt-less tornado victim is interviewed.

Finish your drink
1. Finish your drink if someone uses the word tornado as a verb or if Gary mentions the nearest cross streets to you.

If Gary says "We've lost Val," pour a little out for your homies and finish your drink.

Simple truth of the matter is this ... If and when a tornado does hit in your immediate vicinity you are most likely going to be so dog-gone drunk you won’t notice it anyway. One last thing, "if you see those funny looking, little cars, that look like something out of Back To The Future racing by your house on the county road ... It is gonna be a tough day." 

If the bus is outside you best get it in the shop as quick as you can.

BCO

Offline TomsToy

• Tom Turner
Re: You have to keep smiling
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 04:11:10 PM »
Don, now we see what it takes to get you back to posting on the board.  It takes a lot for some people. ;D
1984 TMC MC-9 6V92T HT740
La Grange, Georgia

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 04:33:55 PM »
Don, I don't even drink and I feel like I went through a tornado and a little tipsy after reading your dissertation:D :o.

Hows the Bird?

Dave5Cs
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 05:00:16 PM »
I'm on the east coast and apparently we are going to get twice the normal number of hurricanes and tropical storms.  We usually get at least one and sometimes two or three.  Here's hoping I don't have insurance issues with my barns...  Sorry for your troubles, buddy.  I've been pulling the weather radar scan for my places every day, and pulling it back to show the whole continent, I now know people everywhere.

Here's to global warming.  The pundits and far-forecasters have been predicting this for years now.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 05:03:18 PM »
Don, now we see what it takes to get you back to posting on the board.  It takes a lot for some people. ;D

Finally healing up enough where I can sit down and type, this makes a huge difference in my world.  Real good program on NOVA (PBS) relating to the issue, maybe you can catch it?

BCO

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 05:04:51 PM »
Don, I don't even drink and I feel like I went through a tornado and a little tipsy after reading your dissertation:D :o.

Hows the Bird?

Dave5Cs

The bird is fine, I got out and picked all the outside bird houses (down on the ground) and reposted them to their original postions and life is slowly getting back to normal. 

BCO

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 05:06:37 PM »
I'm on the east coast and apparently we are going to get twice the normal number of hurricanes and tropical storms.  We usually get at least one and sometimes two or three.  Here's hoping I don't have insurance issues with my barns...  Sorry for your troubles, buddy.  I've been pulling the weather radar scan for my places every day, and pulling it back to show the whole continent, I now know people everywhere.

Here's to global warming.  The pundits and far-forecasters have been predicting this for years now.

Brian

I am hoping that insurance will cover it (30X50 building) but you know what they say ..... "You often do not have INSURANCE what you have are PREMIUMS."

We will see.

BCO

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 05:05:48 AM »
Just glad to hear that the losses you incurred are relatively small as opposed to what could have happened. I sure hope all turns out well, Don. Later
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 05:12:38 AM »
Just glad to hear that the losses you incurred are relatively small as opposed to what could have happened. I sure hope all turns out well, Don. Later

Yeppers, we are fortunate, no doubt about it.  

A lot of folks have it worse than us, that is for sure.  Prediction or forecast for this week is more rain, but NO tornado's, so things are looking up.  It is an annual thing in this part of the country, same with where you are.

http://boxcarokie.com/2012/06/17/current-conditions/ we live with it day to day in this neck of the woods, right?

Thanks for your comment.

BCO

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 01:13:01 PM »
Yeppers, we are fortunate, no doubt about it.  

A lot of folks have it worse than us, that is for sure. 
BCO

Rollin in Moore Oklahoma, June 3rd, 2013

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 02:14:04 PM »
Don,

You know, sometimes a single picture say it all.

My kind of folks, making the best of a bad situation.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
Re: Re: You have to keep smiling
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 06:33:20 PM »
Box Car is Back.  'nough said.

Prayers go out to you Don. 

-Sean

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 08:46:40 PM »
Don,

You know, sometimes a single picture say it all.

My kind of folks, making the best of a bad situation.

Cliff

Should be okay until "Da Man" show up with his ticket book and then the fun will be over.  We are a resilient bunch, saw one house that had a "for sale sign" in front that read:  "For Sale, Cheap, Some
Assembly required."

Later,

BCO

Offline boxcarOkie

Re: Re: You have to keep smiling
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 08:50:27 PM »
Box Car is Back.  'nough said.

Prayers go out to you Don. 

-Sean

[url=http://www.herdofturtles.org]www.herdofturtles.org [/URL]
1984 Eagle Model 10S

Thanks I appreciate it.  When I was in the hospital a preacher came by to visit me and after a bit he said to me, "Son, do you mind if I pray for you?" and I said, "Naw, I guess that would be okay.  I need the prayer, and I suppose you need the practice?"

It is a good day to be above ground, eh?

Thanks for your comment.

BCO

Offline bansil

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 05:59:03 AM »
 ;)
Doug
Mnt City TN
 Member of:

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 06:58:47 AM »
I was going to try to stop and see you Don as we spent the night in Shawnee with the wind you cannot stand up in plus the rain the first clear patch of blue skies we are out of here maybe next time

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 07:14:13 AM »
I was going to try to stop and see you Don as we spent the night in Shawnee with the wind you cannot stand up in plus the rain the first clear patch of blue skies we are out of here maybe next time

good luck

Sorry to hear this.  I guess this means you are not going to be at the Durant thing (TBR mixed) in October?

Skipping us might be just as well, the two bridges on the main road to our place, got washed out in the torrential rains that came after the storm.  You have to take a round about sort of detour now, kind of tricky.  Only one way in and one way out, but that is okay, last week we were an island to ourselves.  We had more rain this morning and are supposed to be under slight risk for thunder-garbage this afternoon.

You are wise to get while the gettin' is good ... shout at Jones in Albq.!

We will do it next time.

BCO

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal