Author Topic: Anyone have a lead on a GM 4106 engine? (Looks like we need a rebuild...)  (Read 13329 times)

Offline technomadia

• Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446
    • Technomadia
An update -

The lower bank of cylinders is where the damage is - they are running 100 degrees cooler than the top bank, and oil flows freely into the blower drain and even into the exhaust. There is however no coolant getting into the oil, and the engine still has "good compression".

But quick / easy / cheap are all out of the question, sadly.  (But not unexpectedly...)

We are looking at an in frame rebuild, or they think it might just be easier to take the engine out to work on it.

First challenge - they are trying to figure out how to get the serial number of an engine on a 4106 so that they can start looking up parts. Where they expect the serial number to be on an 8V71 is seemingly very hard to access. Any ideas? Does anyone know the specific Detroit Diesel model number that would have been in a 1961 GM-4106?

And....

It might be quicker, easier, and cheaper to find a "new" engine to swap in.

Any leads on one?

We are in Billings, MT.

Feel free to call me at 408-667-9022 with advice.

The latest update on our towing is posted on the blog today:
  http://www.technomadia.com/2013/06/just-a-bump-in-the-road/

And link to the original thread when this all started:
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=25834.0

Cheers,

- Chris // www.technomadia.com
Cherie and Chris / Bus tour: www.technomadia.com/zephyr
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)

Offline Cary and Don

Just a thought,  Have you considered looking for a silver 6V92 turbo if you are doing a swap?  Don't know what the logistics is,  but it is a really nice upgrade if you are paying for another engine anyway.

Don and Cary
1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
Just a thought,  Have you considered looking for a silver 6V92 turbo if you are doing a swap?  Don't know what the logistics is,  but it is a really nice upgrade if you are paying for another engine anyway.

If anyone has a lead on one... we're open to it.

Offline eagle19952

Are you a left hand rotation....??

FOR SALE
1984 6V92 TURBO ENGINE. THIS IS A RUNNING TAKE OUT THAT RAN VERY GOOD AND A REBUILT V730 ALLISON TRANS. THIS IS A LEFT HAND TURNING MOTOR, FOR GM COACH OR ANY COACH THAT NEEDS A LEFT HAND TURNING ENGINE.
 INSTALATION IS AVAILABLE IN SOUTHERN CA.
eMail: busbuilder@hbindustries.ws

Call Bob @ H.B.INDUSTRIES TOLL FREE AT 888-725-4661

NOTE: ALL DISCLAIMERS APPLY....I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS VENDOR OR CURRENT AVILABILITY ETC.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline Utahclaimjumper

He DOES need a lefty, and the 92 would be a good swap, but requires more labor for the install, many custom parts need to be fabricated for the fan system. The best system I've seen is to mount the fan on its own separate bracket and drive it with a cogged belt.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline eagle19952

IS THE above motor pre ddec....that is what I would want....the left hand rotation is the limiting factor...yes...
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline travlinman

Chris,

This one may be a candidate for you,

http://www.busnut.com/classifieds/index.php?a=2&b=1148

Best of luck,

TM
Steve & Kristen Full time nomads since '06 - PD4106-674  8V71/V730
This bus is for sale - https://gm4106.wordpress.com

Offline Don Fairchild

I have one of those fan set us on a 6-92 but the block is busted. I do have a LH 6V92TA DDEC III setting here with about 225 hrs. on it I don't think you would want to spend the money to convert it to an mui. Clifford may know where one may be.

Sorry I can't help.

Don

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
Can't help on the replacement engine but something I've done to read an inaccessible serial number is to drop a digital camera in and take multiple pictures.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
Can't help on the replacement engine but something I've done to read an inaccessible serial number is to drop a digital camera in and take multiple pictures.

I have that model number and the serial numbers to a 1964.  I don't have them at my office though.   I can get them to you later tonight if my work day cooperates with me.   I just checked my Picasa web account.  I thought I had a picture, evidently not.  I know where I have them written down though.   IIRC theres a 4 and a 7 in it.  lol, sorry, not much help.   
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
It looks like they were able to get this info off the engine:

ESN: 8VA-258845
MN: 7087-7340

They say that the model number indicates that this is not the original engine and that a turbo-charger equipped block had been installed, but the turbo-charger had been removed.

We checked the air box covers, and they are cast aluminum and not stamped - which we have been told indicates a newer 8V71.

Can anyone else give us any more information based upon these numbers?

Thanks!

- Chris

Offline B_K

I have one of those fan set us on a 6-92 but the block is busted. I do have a LH 6V92TA DDEC III setting here with about 225 hrs. on it I don't think you would want to spend the money to convert it to an mui. Clifford may know where one may be.

Sorry I can't help.

Don

Hey Don how about those engines over here by me?
;D  BK  ;D

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
Serial number indicates mid - late 1973.  www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/moyer/guidelines/detroit_diesel_1972-1993.pdf

From the MTU website:

Model Number Decoder

Home Extras Model Number Decoder

Input your model number below to learn more about your 2-Cycle or other Detroit-built engine. Model numbers consist of up to nine digits/letters that signify engine series, number of cylinders, application, rotation and type, design variations and specific model number.

Examples:  1 03 3 7 0 00;      8 08 7 7 8 40;      8 16 3 7 0 00

Your engine details:
Engine Series:
V-71

Number of Cylinders:

Application:
FF-Auto

Rotation & Type:

Design Variations:
Turbo
Specific Model:
Pre-1991 Engine
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
Serial number indicates mid - late 1973.  www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/moyer/guidelines/detroit_diesel_1972-1993.pdf

Sweet! I'm a mid-1973 model too! 

- Cherie

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
Sweet! I'm a mid-1973 model too! 

- Cherie

As long as your lower cylinders aren't about to fail...   :o

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal