Author Topic: Anyone have a lead on a GM 4106 engine? (Looks like we need a rebuild...)  (Read 13301 times)

Offline Linda-XL40-FL

• Night Coach
A fellow bus-nut in central Florida has a running engine taken from a 4106 and he could ship it.  If you want more info, call him direct.  His name is Leonard and his phone number is four-oh-seven, four six six, four five eight seven.

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
Hey guys,

Saw this GM fishbowl for sale locally on craigslist for $3000. says the motor has 20k since rebuild. It's close I could check it out for you. Spare tranny might come in handy.

Rick
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline wg4t50

I think Leonard Jelkren would be ok to deal with. He is a regular at Arcadia too.
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline Mike in GA

I agree that Leonard is a good guy, and very familiar with engines and heavy equipment. I certainly vouch for him.
Mike in GA
Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for almost 20 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.

Offline technomadia

• Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446
    • Technomadia
A fellow bus-nut in central Florida has a running engine taken from a 4106 and he could ship it.  If you want more info, call him direct.  His name is Leonard and his phone number is four-oh-seven, four six six, four five eight seven.

Thank you!  We remember someone at Arcadia letting us know they had the rear of a 4106 on their property, but never got their contact info.  :)
 - Cherie
Cherie and Chris / Bus tour: www.technomadia.com/zephyr
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
I know you guys: The math and time factor.  Shipping for close to 1800 miles--2 grand maybe?  Do you have the best base block already? Everything else OK? I'm sure you are on top of it. Deep breath and meet it head on!! Best wishes.   Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
Right on Bob - you know us well. At this point, if we are going through the expense and time - we want the most reliable set up we can get. For us, having an engine of unknown state shipped in is too much of a gamble.

We will be throwing estimated numbers together tomorrow for either having them rebuild our existing (confirmed ours is a 1973, so the newer block style) - or buying a warrantied rebuild to swap out.

This is our home, and we had anticipated this sort of thing when we bought Zephyr due to lack of history we had on her. It was all factored into our offering price. We count ourselves blessed that we have been able to earn interest on that cash we set aside for 2 years. Sure, it'd be nice to keep it earning interest..  but just a bump in the road we'll get past.

- Cherie

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
I'm sure you know this already but I'll say it anyway: the risk of doing a rebuild on your existing engine is project creep.  That's where you go in at $X,XXX and come out at 2 or 3 times $X,XXX.  Its not that the shop is crooked or gaming you - it just happens.  The advantage of any crate engine, new or used, is that the acquisition cost is a known amount - all you have left to deal with is removal and replacement.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
I'm sure you know this already but I'll say it anyway: the risk of doing a rebuild on your existing engine is project creep.  That's where you go in at $X,XXX and come out at 2 or 3 times $X,XXX.  Its not that the shop is crooked or gaming you - it just happens.  The advantage of any crate engine, new or used, is that the acquisition cost is a known amount - all you have left to deal with is removal and replacement.

100% plus 1 on this statement.  I owned a John Deere dealership for many years and this was inevitable on every large (non book rate) job.

I've been on the other side of the service bench too.  I was once quoted $10k for a job.  The bill came to $27k.  We "settled" at $17k. ouch.
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Offline luvrbus

I gave him some info on a good engine that has VS transmission it's in a AMC General what does it take to install from a AMC to 4106 anyone know for sure I don't
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
I gave him some info on a good engine that has VS transmission it's in a AMC General what does it take to install from a AMC to 4106 anyone know for sure I don't

We did follow up with that lead, Clifford - thank you.  However, the situation & logistics were a bit too complicated for us (we'd have to pay to take it out of the bus, he quoted us an additional $3500 for that). Add in transportation costs, and we start getting close enough to the price of getting a remanufactured/rebuilt engine with warranty, without the additional risks of not knowing much about the AMC engine and what further reconditioning it might need. The owner couldn't tell us too much about its history, as he bought it off someone who is now deceased.

It's still on the potential lists.. but we are leaning towards other options.  If we happened to be near you, or any other trusted & known bus community members to help guide us to do the work  - we'd feel a lot more confident considering engines without documented rebuilds/remanufactures.

- Cherie

Offline TomC

I'm always of the mind to either rebuild your own engine (since then you'll know what's in it [if it can be]) or get a replacement rebuild from a reputable engine rebuilder. I would NOT install a take out or someones "low mile" engine without opening it up to inspect it. Installing another engine blind is just asking for more problems. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline opus

[Just the messenger here] Friend in OK is a Detroit guru so I asked him.  First, he has an Eagle to sell and he will deliver.  :)

Second he said http://www.americanfleetinc.com/ is by far going to be your best best if you are wanting a used engine.

Hope you find something.
1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.

Offline roadrunnertex

Say folk's you might try this web site.
http://www.jasperengines.com/index.php
Just info. only I have seen intercity buses with their engines in service.
jlv

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal