Author Topic: Ballpark costs for engine rebuilds and engine swaps...  (Read 12373 times)

Offline technomadia

• Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446
    • Technomadia
Ballpark costs for engine rebuilds and engine swaps...
« on: June 17, 2013, 06:43:37 PM »
I'm sure you know this already but I'll say it anyway: the risk of doing a rebuild on your existing engine is project creep.  That's where you go in at $X,XXX and come out at 2 or 3 times $X,XXX.  Its not that the shop is crooked or gaming you - it just happens.  The advantage of any crate engine, new or used, is that the acquisition cost is a known amount - all you have left to deal with is removal and replacement.

Bob left this comment in the other thread about our breakdown, and since we are still waiting on an estimate from Interstate, we are left wondering what the possible range of $X,XXX might be.

Based upon past experience - how much have people been charged to do an in-frame rebuild of an 8V71 on a 4106? How about an out-of-frame overhaul? How about to swap in a new engine for an old?

Feel free to share your experiences and anecdotes about the costs of the same service on other engines and buses too. I'm sure a lot of us are curious what the low and high end range of X might be.

Cheers,

- Chris // www.technomadia.com
Cherie and Chris / Bus tour: www.technomadia.com/zephyr
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)

Online luvrbus

Re: Ballpark costs for engine rebuilds and engine swaps..
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 07:00:18 PM »
A inframe from a dealer will be 10 to 15 thousand a out of frame will be in the 20,000 range for a 8v71 and that is only because DD has lowered the price of liner kits now 

The difference between a in-frame and a out of frame is the in-frame is just a expensive band aid if the engine has had a in frame before a 73 model you could just about make book on it, buy a engine like Mark transit authorizes never did in frames at least Houston didn't I doubt any did in frames
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
Re: Ballpark costs for engine rebuilds and engine swaps...
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 07:15:15 PM »
Here are some real world hard numbers on a 4106.  Two years ago I replaced my 8V71 with a unit from Nimco in NJ (they no longer sell take-outs, but at the time they had 50 plus on pallets ready to ship; 8V71 $2500, 6V92 $3500, 8V92 $4500).

5 hours to pull engine and tranny using a forklift (two guys and one woman, 12 beers, one pizza)
8 hours to install said engine and tranny (two guys and six beers, two pizzas)
4 hours to attach tranny to block (one guy, two beers, 8 heli-coil inserts)
40 hours to take the same engine from a different GM (transit) and get off the old cradle, swap engines on the 4106 cradle, swap pans, accessories, filters, air compressor, generator, fuel lines, manifolds, blower air inlet, controls, hoses, etc etc etc.  In truth, it took me 100 plus hours because I chased every single threaded hole to clean them, painted components, replaced everything rubber, added Jakes.  If I was charging a customer, this would have been 40 hours and not as "clean" a swap over.  The details take time.

I hope this helps a little.  I did this work in a nice garage with an overhead crane to pickup and move engines, trannys, flywheels, etc. Huge time (and back) saver.
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 07:34:53 PM »
I have done in frames and worked along side others doing same, and 26-28 hours is more than fair (Two long shifts). ( Of course they may say go find him...)
IRRC an out of frame rebuild always flat rated at 48 hours plus removal and install. (R+R) using exchange heads and fresh injectors.
These were in 10-12 yard dump trucks and Terex loaders and scrapers Koerhring back-hoes etc..
I would hope that a coach would be within 10% of that.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline sledhead

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 04:50:34 AM »
In 2010 myself and a $40. per hour cash truck mechanic removed eng. and trans out of my 102c3   6v92ta  in 3.5 hrs . Then removed the auto trans. put the eng. on a skid strapped it down and shipped it out. $ 450 each way 1200 miles return trip. $9500. full rebuild ( 2 weeks return ) Another 4 hrs to install , fire up. Now I did have a problem with some black smoke at full power and did the 600 mile trip for the rebuilder guys to install a new turbo and some adjustments no charge and it was a nice camping trip. I just got back from a trip to there shop so they could bump the h. p. to 350 hp wow! There shop is in Newville Pennsylvania .If you want the # send me a email  . I know they have some Eng.'s on site 

dave   
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline sledhead

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 06:05:04 AM »
I called my guys in Pennsylvania they have cores  8v 71's in stock to be rebuilt or you can have your's rebuilt the cost is $9850. plus core or the same price exchange for a 6v 92ta with warranty on both . Now much to have it shipped ?   

dave
dave , karen

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 07:38:17 AM »
I called my guys in Pennsylvania they have cores  8v 71's in stock to be rebuilt or you can have your's rebuilt the cost is $9850. plus core or the same price exchange for a 6v 92ta with warranty on both . Now much to have it shipped ?   

dave

Thanks.. appreciate you following up on the option.  Unfortunately, we are broken down in Billings, MT - and are in transit. While it wouldn't be the end of the world if we missed our next engagement (or made other arrangements to get there)... 

Anyway, we're trying to balance cost vs time to getting back out on the road with the most reliable setup we can manage. It seems other options, with similar costs, would get us back and running in a quicker time frame.   

The purpose of this thread is to have a scale in mind when the shop presents us their estimates today..

Thanks all,
 - Cherie

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 08:35:27 AM »
Bob left this comment in the other thread about our breakdown, and since we are still waiting on an estimate from Interstate, we are left wondering what the possible range of $X,XXX might be.

Different bus and different engine but for us $X,XXX was $9,000 and out the door kicked hell out of $20,000.  That was an 8-92 in frame in an '81 Prevost at Camp Luke (US Coach).  We used all genuine Detroit parts for whatever that might be worth and we had to buy one new head which was a really painful amount.  Other than that it was a pretty standard rebuild - we went into it hoping for the best and fixed whatever we found as we went along.  Took about a week start to finish.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Online luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 08:56:12 AM »
Buying a engine when they get through swapping all the accessory's it will add another 3000 or 4000 dollars to the bill always keep that in mind Cherie plus there will another 1000 bucks for fluids and filters and other items like the 9850 price that engine will not come with a bell housing or the fan drive all of that will need to come from your engine no matter where you or who you buy from the 14,000 engine will be closer to 20,000 grand when finished

I am trying to help you get a real cost or it will get out of hand you need to know that part up front people don't tell you the whole story, the DD dealer may be the cheapest when the final tally is done wish you guys the best

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 09:04:59 AM »
I am trying to help you get a real cost or it will get out of hand you need to know that part up front people don't tell you the whole story, the DD dealer may be the cheapest when the final tally is done wish you guys the best

And we so very much appreciate that :)  You know we like dealing with reality.   Either way - rebuild or swap in a remanufactured - is going to have similar price ticket when all is said and done (within a couple grand at least).  For us, it's not a matter of the cheapest option, but the right option.

And, we also want to be armed for when we get the estimates if they're inline with reality - or inflated.

- Cherie

Offline sledhead

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
Hi   Cherie why not call Irvin or Tim at leids diesel they did my eng. and he will help you with any question's you have . They rebuild 2 stroks every day and are the most honest I have ever dealt with. No web site you will have to call them. I told Irvin about you today.         717 776 7725              or call me 705 789 8189   dave         
dave , karen

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 11:14:36 AM »
 The guys at Leid do a great job; they turboed our 4104 with great results. I'll have them do any/ future work, as needed. Previous owner of our 4905 coach lost an engine out on the road and had a reman engine AND V730 installed; receipts indicate $14,000 by Deans coach in N.C. about 10 years ago.However I would have concerns about having one done and having it shipped cross country. What if it gets damaged in shipping, what if the reman has an issue(any one can) and getting it resolved with installer charging you to deal with it? How much down time can you tolerate? In your situation, I would probably get a reman engine from a rebuilding company that you can get warranty issues resolved anywhere in the country. You seem to travel around a great deal, although I don't know how distant you get from your present area. Are you sure yet what caused your problem, so it won't happen again? BTW, what condition is your radiator in? You'll want it tip top with a new engine. Also you might consider Nalcool or equivalent added to your cooling system. It aids in heat transfer. Make sure you have a low coolant system working. I don't know if yours have one or not. 4905's do and it is not to difficult to add one.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 12:30:28 PM »
Your going to like this one::: Your 900 miles from the Oregon Coast. Low boy. To a better known location? More time to make decision on what path to take and for repairs to be made. 900 mile X $5a mile.  I paid $3 ---2 years ago.  I know! shoot me...Just saw you post on BNO so disreguard.   Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 12:38:08 AM »
IRRC an out of frame rebuild always flat rated at 48 hours plus removal and install. (R+R) using exchange heads and fresh injectors.

Looking at the quote we received today, I think it works out to 22 hours labor for engine removal and installation, and 80 hours labor for the engine rebuild - including steam cleaning, painting, dyno testing, tuning, rebuilding the blower, replacing the water pump, and replacing all the engine coolant hoses and clamps.  The end result rebuilt engine will come with a 1 year warranty. I think the quoted price also includes replacing all the fluids and filters too.

The total estimate including parts worked out to be roughly what we had been told to expect, so the sticker shock hasn't hit us too hard. No taxes here in MT either, a nice bonus. :-)

- Chris

Offline NonHippieBus

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 08:51:53 PM »
My wife and I use our 4106 similarly to you guys, we live in it while working nomadicaly.  Mostly in the Pacific Northwest towing our Mini Clubman and one trip a year to Minnesota.

Recently did major work on our 8v71.  My decision has been to optimize the performance and cooling of the 8v71 Natural  for now and then observe the performance and decide if I'm comfortable upgrading to turbo in future or if its needed. 

Some numbers that will be helpful to you.
$1700 for recore of original radiator to 7 row
$1000 for replacing nearly all hoses and fittings in the engine compartment (parts only)

I wouldn't dream of spending the dough on a rebuild or repower without having the radiator at least thoroughly boiled out and tested by a competent shop or recored and upgraded.  Same goes for all new hoses and clamps, these strand these engines more often than actual internal failure, or worse leads to failure due to fluid loss.

I have repowered many vehicles (no coaches), there is always a lot of unexpected expenses that come up if you aren't doing the work yourself.  Most repower advice comes from DIY guys like myself who seem to forget all the little brackets and fabrication items that they whipped and welded up during the process that cost normal people big $$$ because its all custom work.   I have never engine swapped anything that didn't take at least twice as much TIME as I estimated due to the little tasks that are unexpected.

My advice is a simple rebuild right now and then consider well planned upgrades in the future if you feel the need.  I would only consider a 6v92 repower if the bus wasn't already being used and needed and down TIME wasn't a big issue.  6v92 is mostly such a good swap because of the turbo anyways.  I would rather turbo an engine I knew was 100% solid than repower with a used 6v92 and end up rebuilding later.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal