Author Topic: Sorta OT - How do I get grease out of clothes?  (Read 12494 times)

Offline gmpd4104

Re: Sorta OT - How do I get grease out of clothes?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2009, 01:49:46 PM »
tyvek jusmpsuits......can cut the feet off  or legs to make shorts, sleeves to make short sleeves.  they take up very little space and can be reused.  but cheap enough to throw out.  always have a pair or two on my bus and in my truck...just in case.

Offline AJ

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2009, 02:11:10 PM »
Tyvec jumpsuit idea sounds good.
Where do you get them?

AJ

Offline NJT 5573

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2009, 02:20:11 PM »
Gunk engine degreaser works really well. Just get a few cans and spray all your stuff, let it soak in for an hour or so and wash them in hot water, they will come real clean. The down side is it leaves an odor if you don't do a couple rinses.
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2009, 06:23:02 PM »
I rescued a good spring/fall jacket that I accidentally covered an arm and then the body side in grease pulling fifth wheel pins at a roadeo in the rain using the ether starting spray. Great tip from an old trucker.

Lighter fluid is also an old trick.

Be careful with your sources of ignition until it has been through the wash...

Pretty much nothing will get gear oil stains out, so plan ahead if you are going to mess with wheel ends or differentials.

I, the Mrs and my mother are all practitioners of RJ's start it and leave it soak strategy. Overnight if necessary.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2009, 08:21:43 PM »
Hi Folks,

Billy Mays here for Oxyclean....... ;DLol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NNv2oiWdRU

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2009, 01:08:19 PM »
Belfert,

Now you can "expect to get all the grease out".

For small localized spots:  Spray the spot with "easy Off Oven Cleaner".  Get the version that is nasty, contains LYE and you can't breath.  That "pleasantly scented" version is crap.  LYE: the mechanic's wife's friend.

For big spots or lots of clothes:  Fill the washer to its low level where the agitator paddles are just covered.  Add a cup of LYE, Plumbers or Red Devil, and let the machine agitate for just a few seconds to mix.  The mixing is to placate you into thinking you are being carefull.  You can also just drop in a small load, (that IS important), set the temp to HOT and dump in the LYE.  Now look, if that lye can eat thru a grease clogged drain in a Chinese restaurant in a new york minute or dissolve baked on grease on an oven, it can find and destroy motor oil on a shirt.  I know, I know, what does that do to the fabrick?  Not a thing.  Next nay sayer: but what does that do to the washer?  I must have used this in ten washers and nothing was ever damaged.  and the finale, but won't it leave a ring in the washer?  No evidence of that ever happening either.

For diff grease soaked rags I put them in a 5 gallon bucket and added 2 cups of LYE, poked at them with a stick for a few min and let them get acquainted over night.  Dumped that in the washer the next day and set it for HOT" , "NORMAL" and double rinse.  Wall Laaa, all better.

You will want to follow up with NOTHING ELSE BUT TIDE wash cycle.

Now you know that I wouldn't be this emphatic if I weren't absolutely sure.  Oh, and, don't drink even a little bit of that wash water. ;D

John the chemist wanna be
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal