Author Topic: Why is the OIL so Clean ??????????  (Read 7937 times)

Offline Jriddle

Why is the OIL so Clean ??????????
« on: June 24, 2013, 01:53:43 PM »
HELP

I just got back from picking up my second bus. I have been looking for a parts bus to be a donor for my bus. I wanted a bus with a good replacement motor for my tired 6v-92. The bus that I ended up with is the one Rick B was working on a few months ago. According to the documentation the rebuilt engine and transmission were installed in this bus in 2001. Then the bus sat. The PO stated he bought the bus from the person who had engine installed and the engine and transmission. It had less than 2000 miles total.  I purchased this bus with not much cash and a whole lot of trust. The problem I have now is that I have run this bus/motor/ trans for about 800 miles and the oil is still clean. What’s up with this? I thought diesel engines were supposed to get the oil black the second you pour it in the engine. Any help diagnosing the problem would be appreciated. (LOL) I also had the pleasure meeting grantgoold on my trip to CA. I would have to say my trip was one that was well worth the time and money spent. There are good used engines out there but one needs to be patient and keep looking. The total for this good used engine will be far south of the figures I have read about in other threads recently.  I know we can’t plan when things will go wrong but one will save money if the problem is recognized early. This will allow time for a cheaper resolution.

Thanks Sean and Rick for making this happen I couldn’t be happier
It was good to meet fellow busnuts Sean and Grant
John
John Riddle
Townsend MT
1984 MC9

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
Re: Why is the OIL so Clean ??????????
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 02:02:53 PM »
Jriddle,

I'm happy for you and jealous at the same time. I really wanted to make that trip and buy that bus but the tire issues seemed like a major bill waiting to happen. How did the tires do on your trip home and how far were you from Sean in California? The reason the oil is so clean is because you don't have tired oil rings and seals leaking oil and fuel and draining into your oil pan. That motor had close to 70 lbs of oil pressure when he revved it up meaning it was tight. You also are probably burning the fuel as cleanly as these motors can burn it with the compression that thing has. 2000 miles since documented rebuild, what an amazing find.

Glad it was the good deal i believed it to be. Hopefully we'll meet someday at a rally and I can see the one that got away.

Rick
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline Jriddle

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 02:11:58 PM »
Rick

The tires did fine. I filled them to 100 PSI and installed my pressure pro. I would have had more stress if I would have faced a trip like you were faced with. We traveled around 800 miles.

PS didn't have AC but glade it was cool weekend.

John
John Riddle
Townsend MT
1984 MC9

Offline Lee Bradley

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 02:21:41 PM »
That's what I've always heard but a friend of mine got a 6-71 with a sawmill he bought; the seller said he had just rebuilt it. Same thing clean oil.  Ended up putting it on a log loader (excavater) as replacement for blown air cooled diesel and the oil stays clear. Who knows.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 03:01:02 PM »
Lot of re-builders from the old days use a non detergent 100% pure oil nothing wrong with doing that it was the oil of choice for the 2 strokes back in the 30's to the 60's or it could have a by pass filter that will change when you put the mighty Delo 100 on the next oil change lol

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline grantgoold

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 03:30:46 PM »
It was a pleasure to meet John and his wife and the new motor/tranny! ;D

What a great deal for John! Sure hope should I ever need to replace my motor I run into the same deal.

Have a new stop on my way to see the grandson in Salt Lake City. Wells NV.

Grant
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 03:33:44 PM »
You will love Wells Nev some very friendly women live there  ;D and a lot of truck drivers leave their money in Wells

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 03:40:07 PM »
 Grant,, whats your time frame for being in Wells?? Red Rider, another member of the club,  & I will be spending the nite in Wells on the 29th.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 03:50:56 PM »
Buffer switch and Manual is that all you need John shipping Tue bill will be in the box

good luck

Offline Jriddle

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 04:35:10 PM »
Clifford

Thanks that is all I think I need LOL

Thanks John
John Riddle
Townsend MT
1984 MC9

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 10:59:57 PM »
Delo 100 out of the jug = pure as the driven snow = ten minutes in a DD 2 stroke = black as the ace of spades - FWIW
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 01:33:48 AM »
I rebuilt 3 DD engines, 8v-71, 12V-71 and 8V-92, all of them were total taken apart, all galleys were steam cleaned, along with every part including the oil cooler, upon rebuilding, they all ran clear #40 for the 71's and #50 for the 92 for over 10 K miles before starting to darken.  No mystrey, my guess, the engine had been totally cleaned, not magic.
YMMV
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline Jriddle

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 06:34:49 AM »
 No mystrey, my guess, the engine had been totally cleaned, not magic.
YMMV
Dave M

Dave
My take also. I was so happy to see the clean oil. I plan to put Delo 100 40w during my engine swap. I guess the point here is that you can find good deals out there and not all rebuilds are done with a paint can. The PO had paper work for the rebuild but it was so old and done by the owner before him. My communication with him was more than excellent, he sent several video’s per my request. And the price was right. It felt good to go off instinct and trust another person during an important sight unseen transaction.
John
John Riddle
Townsend MT
1984 MC9

Offline TomC

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 08:20:16 AM »
When you rebuild the engine, everything inside is clean. This happened on my engine too-it takes a while for the oil to turn black. Once it does, it will get black quickly like normal. The main reason it gets black so fast is from the residual oil left in the engine. Try changing the oil-drive the bus a few miles and change it again. Amazing how much cleaner it will be on the second change. Black doesn't mean too much though. I use the old rubbing the oil between my fingers trick. Swipe the oil off the dip stick with your fingers. Rub them together. If you see your skin color underneath, it is still clean enough. If you rub and your fingers stay black, it's time to change. Course the more scientific way is to have an oil analysis. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Lumpy

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 07:12:07 PM »
Jriddle......It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife. Im so very happy all went well on your way home.
More than likely this will be my last post for years to come. I have not let go of the dream but just ran out of time.
I wish you and yours all the best.......hope to see you again down the road...if not on the other side.
Farewell for now,
Sean
AKA
Lumpy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal