Author Topic: 8V71 Injectors - What are the different types? (Best pick for 4106 with V730?)  (Read 11200 times)

Offline Utahclaimjumper

[
Emissions injectors means they are for emission-controlled vehicles. They won't make your engine run "cleaner". Proper maintenance and adjustments will. I say go with the 70's.

They will also "make your engine run like a small dog">>>D
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline technomadia

• Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446
    • Technomadia
Now that we are inside our engine...  We currently have N70's.

No colored tags that I've seen yet.

Cheers,

- Chris
Cherie and Chris / Bus tour: www.technomadia.com/zephyr
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)

Offline Cary and Don

Just a question,  on our Eagle 8V71 what is the horse power of the orange C65 injector? Anything better for more horsepower without toasting it?

Don and Cary
1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340

Offline Utahclaimjumper

Chris, you will normally see a number imprinted on a colored background, that's the "tag" color. The injectors we recently removed from Red Rider's engine were 70s on a yellow tag.>>>D
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline TomC

C65 typically is 304hp and 800lb/ft torque
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline chessie4905

Don Fairchild, hopefully, would be the best to answer this question, since he spent time on developing clean two strokes. I've wanted an answer to this question for a long time, and get the same general answers. I  know some have more smaller spray holes, and there is some differences on fuel ramp up from injector?? I would think that some of the newer design emission type injectors could be beneficial to clean up the exhaust, while making the same power.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline luvrbus

Injector are easy to understand if you read the book it tells you what each letter and number stands for then the rest you adjust with timing example N stands for needle valve C stands for crown valve the list goes on,

Now the colored tags lol
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
Injector are easy to understand if you read the book it tells you what each letter and number stands for then the rest you adjust with timing example N stands for needle valve C stands for crown valve the list goes on,

Our 8V71 book is vintage 1963, and it has both needle and crown valve overhaul procedures described - but the list doesn't go on any further than that. 

In our book the Nxx's are the needle valves, and the crown valves actually have no letter shown as a prefix.  Just "55" and "N55" for example.

No mention in our book about the other letter prefixes, and actually no mention about the practical difference between needle and crown valve, and why / when you would use one or the other.

And no mention at all about color tags.

It would be great if an online reference for this stuff existed somewhere. I imagine a more recent Detroit Diesel book might have more info too.

Cheers,

- Chris

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
We need a Wiki-Injector section!

The local DD parts manager admitted to me he didn't understand the difference in all the injectors.

Not much hope for us.
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Offline luvrbus

Why would injectors sizing be a good online source that is only the tip of setting those engines up you have different blowers,valves,pistons,port height,blower gears, compression that goes from 15:1 to 21:1, 5 different sets of cams and different air box pressure DD kept that away from the public for years they only published in their manuals what they wanted you know 

Just now a few of the manuals for different pin setting and injectors to increase the hp have popped up most have been taken from other engines specs

Who knows some day I may pdf my manuals on the Eagles board if I get some help lol

I am not trying to be a smart @$# but some things are better left alone people murder those engines every day, I know I killed a 8v92 before by being hell bent no 60 series was going to out do me  ::) stay with the manual and it will serve one well

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
I am not trying to be a smart @$# but some things are better left alone people murder those engines every day, I know I killed a 8v92 before by being hell bent no 60 series was going to out do me  ::) stay with the manual and it will serve one well

I love reading manuals - and I especially love reading the deeper level stuff that explains the deep details and the 'whys' and not just the 'whats'.

These engines are beautiful and magnificent pieces of engineering. Understanding the thinking that went into them is very gratifying.

But then...  I am the same why when it comes to computers...  I dig deep to know not just "stick cable A into slot B" -- I love reading the deep details about filesystem and operating systems and network protocols and CPU architecture.

I'm weird - I read documentation for fun...  *grin*

- Chris

Offline luvrbus

Yep it is amazing how much info is on the net for the 60 series and another electronic engines the geeks always find away to copy and pirate the software some know more than the design engineers they cannot do that with a mechanical DD engine ask Don Fairchild lol 35 different injectors for a 8v71 and 30 different setting(configurations) for each add the old HV and S probably over 60  all done by hand no computer  

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal