Author Topic: Engine replacement cost  (Read 1767 times)

Offline chuckd

Engine replacement cost
« on: June 26, 2013, 04:48:06 PM »
 I am toying with putting in a silver engine into my Prevost.  I asked JD of C&J bus repair about a source for 6V92s and he suggested Curt at Central Truck.  I talked to Curt, they have several cores, but no engines that are worth while as is.  They have rebuilt a lot of two strokes and converted many from DDEC to mechanical.  Long story shortened, the cost for taking out my engine, using some of the parts, rebuilding the core with new pistons, cylinders, heads - and installing the newly rebuilt engine, would be around $13000.  I do not have the exact breakdown of new, used etc, but that is a estimate by him, backed up with having done several of these.  This is just a start on finding out some different options.  If I did this it would be in November, bus Gods willing and I don't blow it up on my trip to New Mexico next month.

Any thoughts about this process would be helpful.  I am not Brian Diehl who thinks nothing of throwing a M11 Cummins on a trailer, hauling it to his house and installing same in his driveway in his MCI 9.  Doesn't everybody do that?  Oh and installed a 10 spd auto shift for good measure.

Chuckd
Stillwater Mn
Prevost, short and stout

Offline luvrbus

Re: Engine replacement cost
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 05:31:29 PM »
Don't sell that greenie short Chuck they use oil and run hot but they will hang in there for a long time
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 08:04:10 AM »
Chuck

Curt has a rebuilt 8v92 with all the stuff you would need for 8500. I'm not sure how much he would charge to pull your motor and put the new one in  but that could be an option for you as well. The fact that you have a 35 footer may be an issue

Rick
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 08:40:03 PM »
I personally know where there's an MC9 with a partial conversion and 135K on the 6V92 engine that you can buy for a mere $20K. 
There are enough conversion parts and stuff in there that you could part out and sell to recover much of the initial cost. Some of it
never installed, like a basement heat pump unit. Put your take out engine in the shell and sell it to recover the rest. Free engine
upgrade.  :)

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal