Author Topic: I wanna meet the guy that....  (Read 1981 times)

Offline TexasBorderDude

• Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society
  • Nothing simple is ever easy...
    • WheresDoyle
I wanna meet the guy that....
« on: June 28, 2013, 10:07:52 AM »
loaded 71 series pistons into liners without breaking rings!

Seriously, a big shout out and "Thank you" to Don Fairchild for sending replacement sets (to go along with the 3 sets bought from DieselPro)  As far as I know you can't just buy a single oil ring expander or slotted ring.
A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.

Offline wg4t50

Re: I wanna meet the guy that....
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 12:32:21 PM »
Very easy to load the 71 or 92 rings on pistons into the cylinder, it takes the loader, that is a tapered cylinder that allows you to push the piston assembly into the cylinder, Bingo, easy  ;D
With out the tool, it is more difficult and breaking a ring is more likely.
Done many with the loader, it works, use plenty oil.
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 12:49:39 PM »
The problem now is the loaders are out of date since all the new clearances it's not like it was years ago when you could stand back and almost throw the piston in they are close in tolerance in today's world  and he is using a loader I have broken a few in my day so has Don Fairchild or there would have been 8 sets of rings instead of 3  lol
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline TexasBorderDude

• Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society
  • Nothing simple is ever easy...
    • WheresDoyle
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 12:56:13 PM »
Ah... you must mean like this:

been there... done that... broke those!

I had to pre-compress the oil rings using a standard ring compressor, but then the loader I borrowed, should I say "mooched" from Andy was worn out.

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal