Author Topic: Where is your favorite Campground/Resort (family fun and fits busses)  (Read 7380 times)

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Hi Folks,

We are looking for some new destinations for some fall trips and I can think of no better place to

get some new ideas... We usually travel to mid atlantic states like Va and Carolina's and one of our

favorite spots is Holiday Travel Park in V.A. Beach. Up here in Jersey there are not too many resorts

that we fit in and most are geared for travel trailers/fifth wheels and such...

Lets hear them!
Thanks
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline TomC

Since I'm in California:
-Campland on the Bay in San Diego. A bit cramped, but it's at the north end of Mission Bay with its' own beach, boat and jet ski rental. Within eye shot view of SeaWorld so every night you have fire works across the bay.
-Camp Edison at Shaver Lake, Ca. It is 50 miles east of Fresno right in between Yosemite and Sequoia parks. The nice thing is after going up an 8 mile pull, you have only 5 miles of real mountain driving to get to the camp. Right by Shaver Lake with fishing, swimming and boat rental. Great hiking around and being above 5,000ft, you're both above the heat and smog of San Joaquin Valley.
-Zephyr Cove RV Park at Lake Tahoe, Nv.
-Crazy Horse Campground at Lake Havasu, Az. Right on the lake-walk from your spot, across a single lane road, to 15ft of sand and the lake-can't get much closer then that.
-Oasis RV in Las Vegas, Nv.
-Lakehead RV at Lake Shasta, Ca
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline wg4t50

Not being a world class RV camp ground type, am more of a truck stop, Wally's, or rest area user, my favorite is the Game Lodge CG at Custer State Park, being more of a traveler and less of a vacationer my limited exposure to CG's saves me money.  While I travel for the major WW2 type museums, NC BB-55, Mass BB-59, Alabame BB-60, AF at Dayton, Oh, Avaition at Oshkosh, Wis. Navy at Pensacoala, Fl, 8th Air Force in Ala along I-95, etc museums along the road, such as the Tractor museum in SD, too many to list, I enjoy the traveling & learning vs campgrounds, I do not like buyng a place to park for a few hours.
YMMV
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline paul102a3

We like the Myakka River Motorcoach Resort in Port Charlotte, FL. The resort opened in January of this year and is right on the Myakka River. The resort is class A only however the lots are a little short.

There is easy access to all things water related, fishing, boating, water skiing, etc as well as lots of places for food.

The area is home to lot of state preserves and wildlife parks. It is around a 2 hour drive time to Tampa, Miami, Orlando areas if needed.

It is a little pricey but given the convenience to activities and amenities, i think justifiable.

Paul

Offline tomhamrick

Hi Nick,

I know you have traveled the Carolinas, but Camp Hatteras on the Outer Banks is a great place and bus friendly.
Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC

Offline lorna

We used to stay for a week or so in Rabun Beach Campground outside of Clayton, GA.This was before the concessionaires took it over. Lake swimming, hiking, 2 water falls... hiking is mild we think. We were hiking up to the farthest falls when the twins were 5 yo. Daytrip to Alpine Helen GA, Hiawassee (home of the Mountain Fair) but mostly veg out. Any of the campgrounds on Persimmon Rd/Tallulah Rd (in order as you would come up on them...Tallulah River, Tate Branch, and Sandy Bottom  will also handle a bus, but you may not want to try the last one (Sandy Bottom... my favourite one) on the road as it has a wicked u-turn to get into the campground. We would do it but we have a skoolie and it turns pretty tight for a 40 ft RV. then in the same small area is Moccasin Creek State park. You would have to be totally inept if you couldn't get your bus into there. there are several nice state Parks in the same area (such as Unicoi right outside of Helen GA). Georgia has some very nice state parks. We are particularly fond of Georgia Vet's in South GA (about 100 miles N of the FL/GA state line). Take the SAM shortline to Americus, Plains and Jimmy Carter's childhood farm. Pack a picnic lunch (or eat at the onsite restaurant... menu is online at the Westville website) and daytrip to Westville in Lumpkin. If you like architecture and history, you will enjoy both trips. Of course there's also all the civil war sites as well (like Andersonville Village and the military prison museum a little ways down the road)

In TN, our favs are Chester Frost County Park and Harrison Bay State Park outside of Chattanooga. We tended to stay more in Chester Frost. The kids really liked it and the rangers were very nice to them. That was our spot to stay for SAT testing when we were homeschooling and our spot to stay to do Riverbend.

We liked Tim's Ford SP when we did the free tour at Jack Daniels Distillery. We DID NOT stay the the Devils Step campground. Ground looked very mushy as it had recently rained. Tims Ford had great hiking paths too.

For a "resort" you might try Fall Creek Falls. Never stayed there but we lived nearby and drove up several times to picnic and hike. The falls there have been in the live action Jungle Book movie.

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline Debo

I second Camp Hatteras in the Outer Banks. I live in Nags Head - about 30 miles north, and we go there every fall and spring to get away when the crowds disappear. Take your bikes and a good book. Great place to unwind.
1981 MCI MC9
Detroit 8V-71N
Spicer 4-Speed Manual
Outer Banks, NC (Kitty Hawk)

Offline ArtGill

Come to Morehead city the first weekend in October for the NC Seafood Festival.  I have arranged a rally this year, but I may be able to get a packing spot in the same location.  I have  a 50amp service.  My Coach will be at the festival.

Art
Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta

Offline wg4t50

Forgot to add the Texas Battleship near Houston and of course the Arcadia Bus Gathering.
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
Re: Where is your favorite Campground/Resort (family fun and fits busses)
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 03:29:09 PM »
Flat Dogs Camp , South Luangwa, Zambia - Water, Pool, No electric or sewer (unless you count the pit toilets), but does have escape platforms in the trees.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Offline TexasBorderDude

• Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society
  • Nothing simple is ever easy...
    • WheresDoyle
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 04:35:07 PM »
Hi Nick,

I know you have traveled the Carolinas, but Camp Hatteras on the Outer Banks is a great place and bus friendly.

I second Camp Hatteras in the Outer Banks. I live in Nags Head - about 30 miles north, and we go there every fall and spring to get away when the crowds disappear. Take your bikes and a good book. Great place to unwind.

Spent a week there in a tent one night.  The mosquitos are as big as the natives.  Unmatched beauty though.
A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 05:16:06 PM »
Some real good spots so far..

TN is sounding good. It would be nice to hit the Smokey's and head south on I75

and maybe even into Ga.  Has anybody ever done Big Rock in GA? Are any good CG's there?

Thanks
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 05:49:27 PM »
Why not head west ? Idaho has some beautiful parks on the lakes and rivers in the state and it doesn't break the bank to camp warm days light jacket nights plus you don't have mosquitoes, bugs and snakes you need to fight with for the spot 

I really never found a spot on the east coast or the Smokey's in the summer I cared for the spring and fall were nice 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Emcemv

• 1973 MCI MC-7 Combo
    • Pictures
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 06:29:03 PM »
Nick, how about a trip up the coast of Maine? Nice and cool in the summer, won't need the AC. North of Portland, the area around Rockland and Camden has several campgrounds near the ocean. We have a house in Port Clyde Maine that we rent out in the summer, it's a beautiful area.

Bruce
Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal