Author Topic: Front and rear caps  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Hobe

Front and rear caps
« on: November 29, 2006, 08:42:42 AM »
I have several front and rear caps from MCIs and eagles. In the past I have been taking them to the dump. A good use for them is to make a shield to fit on your tow bar to protect the front of you tow car. Fiber glass is easy to cut and shape to what ever size you need . I no you can buy one for about $200 But those of us that take pride in or ability to build our ow coach. These make good protectors for your car or truck. They are free for the taking. Fred North Florida Bus Conversion

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
Re: Front and rear caps
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 09:52:02 AM »
Here is a photo of the rock guard we made from an MC-9 cap. During a recent 2400 mile trip we found that it not only protects from rocks, The higher position of the top of the guard and/or the rounded edges help keep the windshield and side of the Jeep much cleaner. The lower bottom of the guard also protects all the way to the bottom of the air dam. Afew chips in the high tech Rustoleum red spray paint shows that it is working. We are thinking about adding a marker light or 2 on each upper corner in the spaces where the markers were when it was still a front cap on an MC-9. This would afford better visibility at night for our rear camera. So give Fred a call and make yourself a "better than store bought" rock guard.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Jim Seward

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 11:11:10 AM »

It looks like that would cause toad to over heat on hot day, unless it is eazy to remove. Jim

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 01:27:27 PM »
Hi Jim,

The shield is strictly for towing. It's removeable..

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 04:06:51 PM »
A piece of 1" square tubing was welded to each towbar bracket on the Jeep. The frame of the rock guard is 3/4" square tubing that slides inside the 1" square tubing. When we arrive and unhitch the Jeep, we remove 2 pins and lift the rock guard off the car. Takes about 1 minute.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline trailblazer2

• 1990 Chevrolet C-60 Activity
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 05:05:19 PM »
 Are these caps good enough to re-use?
Bill
"I will place no value on anything I have or may possess,except in it's relationship to the kingdom of Christ"
David Livingston

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal