Author Topic: Leveling on a GM (when parked)  (Read 12188 times)

Offline Geom

• 1966 PD4107
Re: Leveling on a GM (when parked)
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 10:15:10 PM »
So, any suggestions on how to get the springs on my bus to help level?  :P Hehe

Ha! I'm sure we can!  ;D

We just have to put some thought into it. I'm sure we can come up with something. Although afterwards, I can't promise they'll do anything they were originally designed to do before.   :P

1966 GM 4107
6v92 Turbo
V730

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 10:27:41 PM »
Geom, MCI's are the same as Gm's they have always had air bags and the tripod also. I left my leveling valves in but plugged the air lines to them. Disconnected the air line to the air Beams. Gms IIRC don't have air beams. I then connected air lines to each side air beams and ran those up to the front for air fill lines..

I hooked the fronts up independantly also and then ran all 4 lines to the gauges and air buttons on the Ride Rites. 1 line to each of 4 gauges. each also has an exhaust line within the down button. You also have to run 1 line from the accessory tank up to the gauges and it just splits off to each gauge for filling the bags.

If you need air in any corner that has 2 bags each you just push the button for up or down if you need less. It take about 10 minutes to fill all if it is air down but just a few minutes if you are only adjusting. When driving I keep 80 in the front and 90 in the rear. Its is nice and smooth as if you are floating on air. Oh wait you are, LOL

You could also use 1/4" ball valves and good small air gauge and keep the tripod with 3 units instead of 4.

Tom , nope no tweaking. A little at a time. I guess if you had a 1 inch airline and a big compressor it would fill very fast and could be a problem then, but not with 1/4" lines and 1/8 " valve lines on the back of the gauges.

Dave5Cs
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline Geom

• 1966 PD4107
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 11:09:48 PM »
Excellent, thanks Dave!
1966 GM 4107
6v92 Turbo
V730

Offline sledhead

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 05:28:07 AM »
Just got back from camping at the lake this weekend . I had to lower the front right bag down to 10 lbs and front left to 60 lbs , rear right to 30 lbs the rear left up to 90 lbs . all to make level . After start up back to drive level front 90 lbs rear 50 lbs  now that is the height of the bus before the change . In 6 years no problems with stress on the body . It sounds like Davec and I have the same set up                    dave   
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

PSmith

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 05:52:24 AM »
I'm starting to get a headache ::).

I retained factory system when driving - then individual 'push-pull' valves when parked 'like camping' on unlevel ground.

rears are normally tied together, but separated when parked.

fronts are normally separate when driving or camped.

bottom line:  Level it with manual valves when parked.    When ready to drive away - just flip a switch and it levels using factory leveling valves. Wa La

5) 'bubble-free' solenoids used.

Stays level about a week when parked - then we need to air it up again.

We could block it - that might be better for longer stays.

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
Re: Re: Leveling on a GM (when parked)
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 06:11:23 AM »
After disconnecting leveling valves I don t lose air anymore. Yes I have to adjust back to level but that is no big. If a spot is really steep  anybody will have to  use a few blocks but that is a given.

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 06:38:44 AM »
Our 4104 had the aux leveling system on it for years and never had any issues with body twist, even on some extremely slopey ground. 4 corner adjustment, while still could switch back to automatic leveling system. System uses a auto-manual switch, 4 air pressure gages and 4 push-pull valves to control each corner. Went back to three leveling valve auto control on automatic position. Was sold by an FMCA member years ago. Called Level-it. HB industries sells/sold a similar system. I have gathered up the individual components for the same setup for my 4905.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline uncle ned

• Visit: Busconversionstuff.com
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 07:21:26 AM »

Huggy has a four corner leveling system that works when parked and goes back to the original when on the road.
a "level it" by Red Rideout. haven't heard from him in years.

Also as a four corner hyd. system that I use if the place is to unlevel to get level with the air only.
also use it to just make the coach steady when parked.

I have also removed the back door and replaced it with a window so I can get air through the bed room at night.

It also has a big 6v92 and 730 hung off the back.

Has been that way for years and has not broken into yet.

uncle ned
4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 08:06:59 AM »
We also have the Level-it system of 4 gauges and 4 push/pull valves. Self leveling was taken out. Been fulltiming since Jan. 04 with no problems, if needed will also use a run up ramp, but try to find sites that are close to level. Don't know how long ago the PO put the system in.
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal