Author Topic: Replacing windshield MCI8  (Read 4141 times)

captain ron

Replacing windshield MCI8
« on: November 29, 2006, 03:28:21 PM »
My drivers side windshield is cracked from hitting a pheasant on the way to Sturgis this summer(actualy hit 2). Also both windshields
leak around the rubber seal at the top and I have rust at the center bar on my dash. I need to replace  both. Is this a big job? should I take it to MCI and how much $$$ will the glass and rubber cost?

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Re: Replacing windshield MCI8
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 03:32:16 PM »
You can do the glass yourself. Helps to have the special tool for installing the spline.

In MN, comprehensive insurance includes full glass coverage, so I don't do my own glass any more. It's worth the extra $12 a month or so. I typically get new windshields every 2 years of so in every vehicle. On the bus, I take it to the bus repair garage and let them do it. Worth the time and fuel to drive down there.

As for the dash, there's a page on my website which shows how I handled this problem. It's a chore.

craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 04:01:01 PM »
Ron,
   I ordered new windshields from MCI for our MC-8 last December. They were a little more expensive than from Curved Glass but with free shipping and no crating charges, they were cheaper in the long run. Plus Curved glass did not have the riubber gaskets or spline.  If I remember correctly, the windshields were about 150-160 each, the gaskets were about 35-40 each and the slpine was about 20 (you have to buy the spine by the roll which is enough to do 2 windowss with a little left over). As mentioned it is MUCH easier to install thje windows with the spline tool.  Hope this helps, Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 04:07:05 PM »
I just had the pass. side done. Got the glass from Luke. 165.oo Shipping 200.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guy installed it in- no lie - 10-15 minutes!!! Cost me 100.00  Man, I'm learning the hard way!!!

Definitely do it yourself!!!! Very easy.

Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 07:23:09 PM »
My Opinion is take to MCI

I wish I had done that but when I called they didn't have anywhere near me to recommend

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

captain ron

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 08:20:51 PM »
I will be staying in Nashville for a couple of months so I'll be near the MCI service center and won't have to worry about shipping ;)

Offline trailblazer2

• 1990 Chevrolet C-60 Activity
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 05:01:03 PM »
 This operation is not too bad if you have the right equiptment. As a former mechanic,I used to replace them om a regular basis. The main thing I would be concerned about is the corrosion. You must neutralize it,and come back with a  good Zinc
Chromate primer to hold it at bay. Most of the time repair shops are not this thorough!As far as handling the glass, It's best to have a extra person around,keeping in mind the glass breaks easily when cold ,and have a spline tool with a little bit of mild dish detergent(to lube the spline)
 Bill
"I will place no value on anything I have or may possess,except in it's relationship to the kingdom of Christ"
David Livingston

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal