Author Topic: My brand new Detroit Diesel engine...or sanitizing a Facebook page...  (Read 9310 times)

Offline technomadia

• Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446
    • Technomadia
Re: My brand new Detroit Diesel engine...or sanitizing a Facebook page...
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 03:58:50 PM »
Use your ignore button as needed.

Yes.. that is always an option.

But why should individuals be supported in belittling others in public?
Cherie and Chris / Bus tour: www.technomadia.com/zephyr
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 04:08:02 PM »
Chris, after the haranguing that you and Cherie got on that recent thread, I fully understand your feelings about this one.  In fact, as you see above, that was my initial read of it and what prompted my initial action on the thread.  And I reported the thread and my action to the rest of the Moderating Team as is our practice.  The Moderating Team shares your concern about the belittling or attacking of newer/younger members.

Then Donald pm'd me the message he has quoted above and it did cause me to re-read it with a less cynical eye.  I also reviewed his posts for the last few weeks.  I could be wrong, but I think it likely that he did not mean it harshly.  I think that he was in his own way attempting to provoke further thought on some of the issues you are currently addressing. Albeit mixed with an attempt at humor that perhaps did not translate well in the flat media of text on the Internet, and probably was too soon on the heels of the recent fray.

The Moderating Team will be watching this thread very closely to ensure it does not turn into a flamewar.  And we already are keeping an elevated level of attention on posts for now till things cool.

You and Cherie are friends with many folks in the bus nut "real world", myself included, and are among friends here on the forum even if recent events call that into question.  It is my sincere hope that you will continue to share with us here and not back away.

Going to the dyno point brought to this thread from elsewhere - I definitely hope they do run it on the dyno.  You will be much more satisfied and confident long term doing that.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 04:14:22 PM »
Hann just has a way with words lol I know what he is trying to say and I don't have a horse in the race and plan not to enter one either 

I don't have a Dyno so I just give a fresh engine 1800 rpm not the 2450 rpm
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 04:19:47 PM »
Going to the dyno point brought to this thread from elsewhere - I definitely hope they do run it on the dyno.  You will be much more satisfied and confident long term doing that.

Agreed - but we will be given a full one-year parts/labor warranty regardless of the dyno run.

Taking short tidbits out of context from FaceBook has no place here - that comment about whether or not they can dyno it is old news now.

The shop initially had some concerns about setting their dyno up to run "backwards", and to deal with the tilted GM oil pan setup.

Both of those issues seem likely to be solvable, so the dyno run should be able to happen now.

- Chris

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 04:27:23 PM »
Damn, I thought I had a thread here about engine rebuilding techniques and measuring instruments, and it's just a thread about CnC's insecurity about their choice of engine rebuilder...  Oh well, I got to tell a nice story about building a race engine for a Cooper T-56 car.

Chris - your engine is going to be fine, your chosen people are taking good care of you.  All of the comments about what your shop is doing have made me believe that they not only know what they are about, they care about the quality of their work.  Nothing but the best will come to you.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 04:33:29 PM »
I would get that warranty in writing with bold letters the 1 year on parts is standard for all genuine DD parts the 1 year on labor I never heard of a DD dealer offering that all I know of are 90 days only on labor  

A 1 year warranty on a bus that is used maybe 15,000 miles a year is not much to began with it's common knowledge all failures happen on a 8v71 within the first 500 miles of service after a rebuild,dynos are good but not a necessity IMO 

I like the dyno at the wheels then one know what it is doing in the way of hp and torque the problem is most shops will not wheel dyno a old bus  
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 04:43:53 PM »
Many of the questions posed in this thread are EXCELLENT!  And we fully encourage others to look at what we're going through and create discussion points out of them. That's why we are willing to share about what we are going through - if we're going through it, why not help others learn too?  

That part, we fully concur with.. and are glad that others are able to learn from what we are learning through this process. Rock on with the conversations and learning.

What we are not keen to is the need to do so in a disrespectful manner.

Our words "quoted" at the beginning of the thread are from another medium and from two unrelated conversations. They were used completely out of context.. and strung together to sound like we were allowing the shop to plop a brand new rebuild engine into our bay and driving directly to Burning Man with undersized air filtration!

Wow, that paints us to look like complete idiots... especially when the poster follows-up using words like novice and childish to indirectly refer to us.

As Chris has already cleared up, the question about the ability to dyno is old news. And Burning Man is not for well over a month after we're back on the road - with many miles and adventure inbetween for us. And yes, of course we will be paying careful attention to the dust and our air filtration - including having brand new filter replacements ready to go right after the event.    The majority of the 2-strokes this shop works on go out into the oil fields, where they are regularly exposed to high levels of dust - this shop seems well aware of what they are doing, and we have a lot of trust in them. We have no insecurity about our choice of rebuilder. 

We are very concerned about the BCM forums and how they reflect on the BCM brand, and the community as a whole. The level of hostility that has become a part of the experience here is becoming less and less worthwhile to put forth energy.

- Cherie

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 05:02:51 PM »
I don't know, all I do is sweep the floor.

--Geoff
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 05:28:30 PM »
well that seems a wasted apology.
and I did try to address it off this board via your fb page and found that I was no longer able to comment.
you can choose to see the good in someone or not.
I have told you that I do not translate well via the cyber page.
feel insulted if you want.. you were not.
I am now sorry that this thread was reopened.
you posted what ifs and I reflected on what ifs...
good luck.
ps that really means good luck.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
well that seems a wasted apology.
and I did try to address it off this board via your fb page and found that I was no longer able to comment.
you can choose to see the good in someone or not.
I have told you that I do not translate well via the cyber page.
feel insulted if you want.. you were not.
I am now sorry that this thread was reopened.
you posted what ifs and I reflected on what ifs...
good luck.
ps that really means good luck.

Were you the individual posting under a woman's first name with no last name indicated?

We were getting so confused by those postings, as the comments were never in reply to the subject matter replied on, and were often very short and asking questions we had already answered on the correct thread. We had no idea who it was, and certainly had no way to tie it back to any individual here on BCM.  We have over 2000 FB 'fans', most of whom we have no real world context for.  It would be impossible to know all of their diesel histories when FB provides no profiles, and especially when people don't post under their own names here or there.

If that was you.. 'banning' was not singling you or your advice specifically out.  It was trying to keep the FB posts organized and on topic. We're fielding a LOT of comments there, from such a variety of backgrounds and it's quite difficult to keep up.

Our apologies if you that was you and you took it personally. I'll chock it up to the 'not translating well to the cyber page' thing.

- Cherie

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 05:56:11 PM »
in all of the confusion I had posted to fb when you accepted my like, that my wife Deborah has a FB page, and the PH was me...in that I am Donald P Hann and she being Deborah, and like you ( C&C ) we share her page because of her handicap , post traumatic brain injury aka TBI.
I realize you share your page for a different reason.
maybe I am too short and not to the point verbatim but my points and posts are all genuine concerns for your best outcome.
Best Wishes.
were I nearby and you in need  and neither knew the other cyberly you would never know who was there helping you...and I would.
And I have no doubt we would laugh about this and go... really that can't be you.
yup this is me.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 06:17:04 PM »
Again.. our apologies - the banning was NOT about you personally.

You actually joined our blog's public FB page - which is managed entirely differently than a personal one (we each also have)... FB doesn't even share with us when someone 'likes' our page, we don't even get the option of accepting likes or not. With interacting with over 2000 'fans' (plus all our blog readers, individual e-mails, chat requests, etc) - and FB giving no easy way for us to look up the history of what someone has posted before - it's very easy for the details to get lost in the shuffle.

You may have introduced yourself along the way, but it's not like we have a quick access contact card to refer to later. Our brains can only absorb so much information right now, and we are honestly operating in an overwhelmed state right now.

FB is not the greatest medium for some things, that is for sure. But we do enjoy it for sharing with a wide audience.

And we agree - most in person meetings are very different than online interactions :)  We do appreciate the positive energy and concern for the best outcome.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal