Author Topic: Help: Need adhesive suggestion to hold spade connector on (fixed)  (Read 16909 times)

Offline belfert

We are on the road and the spade connector inside my generator that connects to the brush holder keeps coming off.  We crimped on a new connector and it still came off.  It is about a 90 minute repair we don't want to do every six to eight hours.

Is there an adhesive that we can put on the connector to lock it on so it doesn't come off?  Ideally I would like something we could get at Walmart.  I would I actually called Powertech the first time this happened today and they suggested Blue Loctite, but is that really electrically conductive?  I checked Loctite's website and they make a special electrically conductive Loctite.  My friend on the trip is thinking about putting Super Glue on after we reconnect the spade connector.

We don't need the generator right now as it is cold, but it will be hot in a few hours.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
Re: Help: Need adhesive suggestion to hold spade connector on (urgent)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 03:23:42 AM »
I have used safety wire to hold on spade terminals.  There is often a hole through the center of both pieces, and I just thread the .032" stainless wire through and twist it with aircraft wire pliers.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline TomC

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 03:39:17 AM »
I found that the single layered wire crimp on a spade connector is just not enough-especially now with everything getting thinner and cheaper. I used double layered wire crimp on my spade and eye connectors when I wired my bus in 1994 and none have come loose. You'd probably have to go to an electrical supply house to get the double walled wire crimp spade connector. Then you don't have to deal with adhesives that will probably come loose with the heat of a running generator. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline sledhead

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 04:41:34 AM »
try heat shrink over connector                   dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 05:18:22 AM »
Be sure to use the right spade connecter they come in all different flavors
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 05:29:28 AM »
solder it on
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 05:37:46 AM »
Brian,

They sell a spray on sealer adhesive called Plasti-Dip at most stores. Spray it on and a couple minutes later it looks like it was dipped in plastic. Say's on the can it's safe for all electrical connections. Gumpy's probably right that the most permanent way to fix it is to solder it. If you brought a solder gun you are a better planner than I am.

Be safe with those rockets

RB
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 05:41:49 AM »
Wow! it's starting to happen here on this site now. We are talking about soldering and electrical stuff and all the ads on the sides and bottom of our discussion just turned to 3M adhesives and an electronics supply store.

That's exactly why I quit Facebook. I don't like they way the internet has us pointed as a culture, Big Brother sucks.

Sorry Brian I know this was off topic but it's relevant.

Rick
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 05:43:51 AM »
  You should be able to slightly squeeze the female end of the connection to get a tighter fit; it should be resistive to pulling off easily. If doing this doesn't make pulling it off more difficult, go to an electrical supply store to get a better one. Napa sells Belden brand terminals, which I've never had issues with. Make sure that there is some slack in the wire. Is something moving some to assist in the wire coming off? Gorilla glue on outside of connection, nylon wire tie, the smaller, narrower ones, either around terminal or wire to hold. Heat shrink should work though. Make sure you don't cause the brush not to contact commutator properly, whatever you try. Oh, and maybe the terminal on the brush holder is the narrow male spade type, requiring the narrow style female end to hold together properly. Napa sells the narrow type also.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 06:07:56 AM »
Almost all adhesives use heat to aid release, Loctite especially. super glue too ( I THINK ).
I too always pinch the rolled part of the female twice per side to try and make them tighter on the male. with wire cutters.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 06:19:06 AM »
If you brought a solder gun you are a better planner than I am.

No solder gun needed. He's got rocket fuel on board (Hi NSA!!)  Just sprinkle a bit of rocket fuel on that connector and light it off! Problem terminals fused... unless you use too much :-)
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
JB Weld?

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 07:31:22 AM »
Soldering appears to be the obvious solution, and you could probably buy a cheap soldering iron from Walmart instead of adhesive. You can get small gas-powered irons too, if electricity is the problem.

Just to mention it - Plastic Padding do a product called Chemical Metal which might be conductive (I've always assumed there was no actual metal in it, but it's worth looking at if you you're stuck and can find some).

Wow! it's starting to happen here on this site now. We are talking about soldering and electrical stuff and all the ads on the sides and bottom of our discussion just turned to 3M adhesives and an electronics supply store.

That's exactly why I quit Facebook. I don't like they way the internet has us pointed as a culture, Big Brother sucks.

Sorry Brian I know this was off topic but it's relevant.

Rick

This is called Remarketing and happens on hundreds of millions of websites which use Google Adsense, so you can't really blame individual sites for it. Google are beta'ing a much more invasive form of Remarketing at the moment which recommends specific products to you based on what you've looked at previously (right down to specific product options and price points etc).

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
Re: Help: Need adhesive suggestion to hold spade connector on (fixed)
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 08:40:06 AM »
I have had cheap connectors that are so soft they can not be depended on.  Even if you crimp the female onto the male, there is no tension to hold them. 
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline belfert

Re: Help: Need adhesive suggestion to hold spade connector on (fixed)
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 08:51:38 AM »
I believe this is fixed for good now.  It turns out that this time the tab broke off the brush assembly.  Luckily, I have two spare brush assemblies with me.  We ended up putting the original brush assembly back in as it wasn't really broken after all.  The original assembly had holes in the tabs for the spade connectors to grab on to.

My friend ran a tiny piece of wire through the hole to lock it in place.  We also have a soldering iron so we could have soldered it.  The new spade terminals we got at Menards look just like the originals.  We don't have a way to get better spade terminals right now.  I made sure and tightened up the original spade connector on Saturday, but it still fell off.  The Menards pack of terminals had three widths and we used the right width.

Thanks for the help. (The ad thing has been on this site for some time.)
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal