Author Topic: Pre buy bus exam  (Read 19691 times)

Offline luvrbus

Re: Pre buy bus exam
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 05:38:28 AM »
Have you checked with Kevin the azdieselman here on the board do like I told you buy the test kits from Empire pull samples on the coolant,oil,rear gear and,transmission ,check for cracks and welds, sloppily steering,uneven tire wear 

If the guy checks the turbo,pulls the air box inspection covers and checks the pistons and rings for wear that is about all one can do to check the engine,the jakes will be a minor problem, it's a roll of the dice Scott this is why I don't do inspections on 50 +year old buses.

A 1000 bucks may save you 15 to 20 grand on the engine alone but I would be sure he knows the 6v92

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 06:03:23 AM »
 Many of those questions can be determined by driving the bus for a distancing enough to warm the engine to operating temps. and check the overall handling, performance, stopping, and systems checks. >>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 06:34:22 AM »
Here's the best inspection your going to get IMO,
take your money and buy $500 worth of diesel and have the owner drive the coach at least 1/2 way to Prescott...then you drive it back to Phoenix....I think it's us 17 hiway ??
If the seller says no, then pass on the bus.

PS I would tell the owner to get the jakes fixed first if it is a simple matter...and you'll add that cost to what you'll pay for the coach.

PSS all my coach miles are without Jakes, Jakes are over rated, again my opinion...that doesn't mean I wouldn't have them, it just means that you don't need them.
I have done Tioga Pass and the Canadian/Alaska Hiway without and lots more....
pssss...by the time you get back to Phoenix you may not still want a coach....just saying.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 07:14:39 AM »
60 to Globe would be a better test once you leave AJ it's all up hill on a 2 lane road most places

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 07:18:08 AM »
here's another PS.. :)
When I bought my coach, in 2002 the place I bought it from (handling the sale for the previous owner, who also had maintained the coach in a lease fleet in San Antonio TX) insisted that 1/2 the money I paid be put in escrow to cover any repairs that needed to be done in the event of a failure.
That's how confident he was in the bus condition. he said this as I was putting on coveralls to go underneath....I never got the coveralls past my knees...he just asked me where was I going first, and when I would be back.
I have worked in the H. Equipment, construction business for 35 years.
after a trip to Alaska and back....they cashed my check.
Good luck whatever you decide. The coach you are looking at must be a hot rod... ;D
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline harleyman_1000

• My bus
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 07:23:51 AM »
Have you checked with Kevin the azdieselman here on the board do like I told you buy the test kits from Empire pull samples on the coolant,oil,rear gear and,transmission ,check for cracks and welds, sloppily steering,uneven tire wear 

If the guy checks the turbo,pulls the air box inspection covers and checks the pistons and rings for wear that is about all one can do to check the engine,the jakes will be a minor problem, it's a roll of the dice Scott this is why I don't do inspections on 50 +year old buses.

A 1000 bucks may save you 15 to 20 grand on the engine alone but I would be sure he knows the 6v92

good luck

Yes I have talked with Kevin. Kevin is friends with the bus owner and is who put me in touch with Ed(the owner). Kevin said that he really isn't that familiar with the bus. I called about the oil analysis, and the company said it is taking about 2 weeks to get the results back, and the owner will only be in town about a week to show it, so Im not to sure about how I can even get it done?
Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 07:26:48 AM »
60 to Globe would be a better test once you leave AJ it's all up hill on a 2 lane road most places

That would work too but it would not put him in the direction of Chino Valley... ;D
And I would want to go where CoachNet would go... ;D
Donald PH

Offline harleyman_1000

• My bus
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 07:28:59 AM »
 Does anyone have  Geoff's number?
Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 07:33:55 AM »
I don't post numbers ...but you can find it here...unless I am on your ignore list.... ;D
http://www.generaldieselservice.com/
Donald PH

Offline B_K

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 03:32:38 PM »
Oil sample testing can be done almost instantly these days @ your big rig oil change shops like "Speedco" and others.

(or atleast they claim they can when selling you the service while paying them for an oil change)

Just take them a sample and tell them you need it tested. ;)
;D  BK  ;D

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 05:11:53 PM »
I guess Empire doesn't want to fool with a 1 time deal I overnight my samples and they send me the results around noon by e mail of the next day I am guessing it takes a 4 hr turn around 

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 05:38:47 PM »
Harleyman called me today and I told him I would look at the bus and do a complete DOT inspection plus check out the engine, transmission, electrical and see how the chassis and hoses (underneath) look. 

I don't have a crystal ball to read the future but I can can tell if a bus is roadworthy...

When I bought my bus I was only able to drive it in a circle around the parking lot.

I advised that no matter how well you inspect a bus when it is 50 years old you never know what could go wrong.

--Geoff
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline sdc53

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2013, 12:10:31 AM »
Have you looked at many buses yet?  I don't think I'd hire a mechanic until you've laid eyes on it yourself, driven it, and make sure you like it.  I can't tell you how many buses I drove or flew to look at when bus shopping based on pictures, and was disappointed.  It still sticks in my craw how much time and money I wasted kissing frogs.  Pictures just don't show enough detail to really even let you determine general condition and workmanship like your eyes can.  Plan a second trip if needed, or stick around for an extra day...
Scott
Gladstone, OR
1969 PD4107

Offline Hobie

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2013, 07:21:42 AM »
Adding to sdc53:   good advice.  also must pass the smell test, literally.  Some really funky smelling units out there! 

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2013, 08:12:03 AM »
Hi Harleyman, I looked at 12 conversions of all sorts drove 4, 2 wouldnt start, ended up buying the first one, some you come away saying, what was that smell? Lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal