Author Topic: picture posting for dummies  (Read 10685 times)

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
picture posting for dummies
« on: July 29, 2013, 09:57:57 AM »
My camera lowest setting is 640 x 480.  That will not post most of the time to this board. But does  sometimes.  Does that make sense? Guess I'm not really interested in going much further in solving this problem as I went and spent $150 bucks on a camera I had no other use for already. Simple solution yes, but much more going to another web site etc.. not going to happen!  I copied to photobucket but my feeble mind finds that challenging also. Must be the blue collar greasy hand up bringing old age!  Simple answer?
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
Re: picture posting for dummies
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 10:52:14 AM »
Use a simple photo editor (I just use the Microsoft one) to crop the photo to a smaller size, and you get to crop out the excess background.  That usually works for me.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 12:36:32 PM »
IMHO the size of pictures allowed on this board is far too small!   So I would say it is not you but this site that needs an upgrading.

I cannot post a picture from the lowest setting on my camera.   I would think this is common in the community, so when members could post a picture to help someone, they give up in frustration. I know I have. I do not belong to a lot of sites, but this is the only one I have that problem with.      JIm
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 01:06:54 PM »
  My camera lowest setting is 640 x 480.  That will not post most of the time to this board. But does  sometimes.  Does that make sense? Guess I'm not really interested in going much further in solving this problem as I went and spent $150 bucks on a camera I had no other use for already. Simple solution yes, but much more going to another web site etc.. not going to happen!  I copied to photobucket but my feeble mind finds that challenging also. Must be the blue collar greasy hand up bringing old age!  Simple answer? 

I also ran into that problem.  I had some photos for my daughter and I had already set up a "photobucket" account.  It's free, so that means that they bombard you with ads.  But once you do that, you can transfer photos from your camera to your computer, then go to www.photobucket.com and make a file called "Bus Construction" (or what ever you want to call it).  Then click "Upload" and it opens a window, in that window, go to the photos on your computer and you can see the photos you moved from your camera.  Click the one (s) you want and it's stored there.   Just click on it in photobucket and highlight and copy ("Control-C" on windows machines - if you've got a Mac, you're on your own, they're far too fruu-fruu for me) and then paste (Control-V) into your post on this forum.

You get:  http://s45.photobucket.com/user/oonrahnjay/media/000_0288.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4 something like this.   I think that there is something like a way to put [IMG:   ] links up, too, but that's too complicated for me.

It's much easier than it sounds and you only have to do the registration thing once.  There are also similar sites like Flickr etc. but I started with photobucket a long time ago, it has always worked, and I just ignore the ads.

HTH,  BH   NC    USA
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 04:26:11 PM »
I did it by accident; had a resize feature on computer and a line for size.. no  idea what to enter???  so guessed  wrong several times.. then put 400 and the --- thing worked.

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 08:02:01 PM »
  I did it by accident; had a resize feature on computer and a line for size.. no  idea what to enter???  so guessed  wrong several times.. then put 400 and the --- thing worked. 

That works!  Nice job.   
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline Simy

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 10:08:56 PM »
If there is interest, and a requirement I can see about making a script you can run to resize all pictures in a directory.

I'm going to assume the people who are having problems with this forum run Windows OS's as most people do so I'll have to brush up on my Windows options, maybe an autoit script if all else fails.

Just let me know if there is interest in such a thing, also I would need to know the boards size and dimension requirements for uploads.

Offline somewhereinusa

• somewhereinUSA
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 06:01:10 AM »
MHO the size of pictures allowed on this board is far too small!   So I would say it is not you but this site that needs an upgrading.

I cannot post a picture from the lowest setting on my camera.   I would think this is common in the community, so when members could post a picture to help someone, they give up in frustration. I know I have. I do not belong to a lot of sites, but this is the only one I have that problem with.      JIm

I belong to a number of sites, and they all have picture size limits because of the cost of bandwidth. The best way around this is to store your pictures somewhere else. It keeps the cost of the forum lower and lets you post a better picture. The whole process is really quite easy.

There are some excellent programs that are free to resize pictures. There are also free picture hosting sites that let you store your pictures on them and then simply paste a link in your forum post.

I like irfanview

http://www.irfanview.com/ (download the program and the plugins)

for a quick resize (you can also do a batch resize)  I have been using irfanview for years, it's free and does an excellent job. I also use Photoshop but, that's a different ball game.

I upload anything that I want to put in a forum (already resized), to photobucket. If you do it that way your pictures show up in the forum post the proper size with no need to click on a thumbnail to see the picture.

Example forum page here.

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9827&start=135

about halfway down the page

If anyone is interested I can make a how-to video of how to resize a picture, upload it and post to a forum.

Dick

1991 Bluebird AARE
1999 Ford Ranger
Andrews,IN

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 06:53:57 AM »
What ever help would be greatly appreciated. I feel we are missing way to much input because of this.  I know it is simple to you to say go here to get it done--but that is a step that just rules some (me) out. I get confused easily! On some things this brain just doesn't work ,yet on others there is knowledge maybe I and others could share.

Offline Simy

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 06:42:34 PM »
I actually found this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/431120/flash-upload-image-resize-client-side
The dev's could use this to have the browser resize images before upload client side, this way bandwidth and server resources are not required (other then to host said images) I think this is quite possibly the best solution.

I would look into a way to automate uploading a folder to an image hosting service and then providing links but that is almost always against the TOS and doing so is considered "hacking" ala Aaron Swartz.

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 07:23:02 PM »
I can roll a set of bearing in a 2 stroke for a few hundred dollars in a afternoon. But didn't understand what was just posted in last post. 

Offline Simy

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 08:08:54 PM »
Sorry about that. Yeah sometimes when it comes to stuff like this I go off on my own little tangents without much regard to the audiences technical levels. That last post is actually more for the owners/maintainers of this board then it is for those having problems. I can explain it though pretty quickly I think.

Basically there are 2 ways to resize the image, your computer, or the server. Your computer uses a 'client' in this came a 'browser'. 3 examples of web browsers are Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome.

Now when you upload or download something you use bandwidth. Bandwidth is actually used incorrectly in this term, technically bandwidth is how many simulations connections you can have, but the term has been distorted to also mean how much traffic you have. This best works in terms of driving. Bandwidth as used is how many cars drove past a specific intersection. The actual definition of bandwidth is how many lanes of traffic (Or if your in India, how many cars you can fit side by side on the street)

Then there are resources, a computers memory, processor and disk space are all 'resources' just like oil, fuel, and tires are resources. If a computer runs out of free resources its like you knowing your going to use all the fuel you have in your tank on your trip tomorrow, you won't take a trip today because you can't spare the resources.

I'm a bit tired, and maybe a bit preachy but I hope I got the definitions in there for you :)

Basically if the powers that be use the information in that link they can have your computer do the heavy lifting, instead of their server which saves them from having to pay more money on resources and bandwidth.

The reference to Aaron Swartz has more to do with him being charged with MANY felonies for automating a task -- specifically downloading files he has a legal right to download, simply because he violated the terms of service of a website.

Offline Gary LaBombard

• "Rustless Money Pit"
    • "Inspection & Repair Guide for Bus Conversions"
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 03:10:45 PM »
I purchased a Lifetime software program for about $69 a few years ago from AVS that I just love using as it is so fast, so easy to use and as I said good for a lifetime.  If I get a new computer I just notify them and they re-install their software on my computer and I'm ready to go and they send updates when ever there are any.  I got it at: http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Converter.aspx  I don't think there is a limit to how many photos this program can reimige at one time, I have done maybe 20 or more within 30 seconds if that.  Anyone getting this program let me know, I will give you short tips to make it run quickly for you so you can get up and running within minutes and not get frustrated figuring it out.

You can research this site and see if it is for you to consider, the cost is great I think for a lifetime if it is still available for that price, it converts videos, pictures etc and just about anything to any kind of format made.  Go look for yourself.  Anyhow here is a result of a photo from my photobucket website I am anxious to see how it post on this bb'd.  On Eagles International it is full sized but here goes:

I like the fact you can have a large size photo to make it easy to have others to view anything.  To copy your photo off photobucket you have to enlarge the photo in photobucket to it's full size in photobucket, then a menu will open on the right hand side of the photo, then you just click the bottom selection of the menu (IMG) and you should see a yellow Highlight that says COPIED, then go to your post on this bulletin board and right click for a menu to show up on the screen, then select paste from this menu and the image address of your photo will show up.   To see what will actuall be seen on your actual bulletin board post just look at your preview at the bottom of the bulletin board page of your post and you should see your full size photo and not some little dinkly photo no can't enlarge or open to see.
Hope this helps.
Gary

Gary

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 03:33:48 PM »
When you copy in Photobucket [img] it will also include your photobucket library in the link [url].  If you do not want to "link back to your library" you need to delete the url portion and leave only the image link.  This way if you have something private in your library and do not want to share, it does not become privy to un-welcomed views and stays protected.

Click on Gary's photo above and you will see an example of what we are talking about here.

Just sayin ...

BCO-CTA

Offline somewhereinusa

• somewhereinUSA
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 04:55:34 AM »
When you copy in Photobucket [img] it will also include your photobucket library in the link [url].  If you do not want to "link back to your library" you need to delete the url portion and leave only the image link.  This way if you have something private in your library and do not want to share, it does not become privy to un-welcomed views and stays protected.

Click on Gary's photo above and you will see an example of what we are talking about here.

Just sayin ...

BCO-CTA

My question here is why would you put ANYTHING, anywhere on the internet that you don't want someone else to see, especially on a site like Photobucket? It's pretty easy to find whatever you want to see. 

Dick
1991 Bluebird AARE
1999 Ford Ranger
Andrews,IN

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal