Author Topic: Rubber roof, or metal and paint?  (Read 8669 times)

Offline Simy

Rubber roof, or metal and paint?
« on: August 04, 2013, 07:59:56 PM »
Ok so we are still mid progress in finishing the roof repairs as you can see here. http://imgur.com/a/Fn2UZ#0

I'm curious as to why people do rubber roofs instead of paint. I gather it depends greatly on how it will be used so here is what I would like and what I plan to do with it. I wan't it to be easy to maintain, and I don't want to worry about branches scraping my roof. I don't care if I need to to touch-ups but I don't want to do massive repairs if I park out in the sticks and knock around a few branches. I mostly plan to be away from trees though because I want to cover the roof in solar panels providing shade to the roof with an air gap, and of course power.

It was originally painted but I wouldn't paint it with automotive grade paint, I would paint it most likely with some type of paint I can use a roller brush with. I don't care how it looks provided it protects the metal. If I get something scraping the roof I can always do a quick sand and touch up. On the other hand rubber roofs seem to be all the rage. We were going to go with a one piece rubber roof repair, however this seems to be even more complicated as it would require a very smooth roof, or wooden panels over the metal to provide a smooth roof. While there is nothing complicated about its install at first I don't plan on going solar for a 12-18 months, the sub structure hasn't been built yet, and it won't be until I know exactly how I plan to go about doing it. There is also the roll on EPDM roofs but I don't like the idea of chalking and unless they provide a substantial benefit over a one piece and paint, I see no reason to entertain it.

I know a one piece aluminum roof is an option but we had decided to just clean up the steel we had as we were not sure on how to install the aluminum without going way over our time or budget... Not that we haven't done that already but that is besides the point.

I look forward to any insights and ideas on which option is right for me.

Tom

Offline luvrbus

Re: Rubber roof, or metal and paint?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 09:17:44 PM »
Nothing wrong with the EPDM system except the price it will last forever has a lifetime warranty here is where I bought the kit to do a rv roof www.bestmaterials.com it was around 1000 bucks for everything including the AC and vents hardware with a piece of EPDM 9 ft x 41 ft they will sell you any length 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Simy

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 09:51:26 PM »
Would it work best for me is the question. The more I look at just using paint the more I think it may be a better solution. Regardless I'll be using paint for now, but I'm just curious if I should be getting an EPDM roof at a later time. I'm not seeing any significant benefits other then the fact that it will last 20+ years. Seems to be maintenance free, but what if I get snagged on a tree or something, that is what worries me the most.

Offline belfert

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 12:45:16 AM »
One thing a lot of RV owners seem to hate is EPDM rubber roofs for various reasons.  Your roof is so rusty that maybe a rubber roof would be a good idea in your case.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 05:16:18 AM »
EPDM roofs have changed a lot it the last 20 years they will still tear but not as easy then they are easy to patch like every other thing the RV manufactures did it was a terrible job with them cutting corners so the roof took the blame 

Me I would prefer the bedliner material over any option  
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 06:02:27 AM »
   Take a look at Herculiner, also sold by Pep Boys. I used it to coat the inside of my house battery box. Appears quite durable. Goes on with roller; supplied. In your cost situation, it may be what you are looking for. I believe it also comes in white.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 06:58:34 AM »
After many years of RVing, why would one want a "Rubber" roof? Considering its long term hassles, never ending need for attention .
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline belfert

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 09:00:53 AM »
Herculiner is no available in white.  The manufacturer discontinued white a year ago and only sells grey and black now.  I've been considering Monstaliner for my roof if I do it myself, but I am also strongly considering paying the extra to have someone do the whole thing for me.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline LowTide

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 03:39:52 PM »
Hey Belfert,

It looks like they do carry white.
http://www.herculiner.com/questions.html#c

I am also going to be resealing the roof of ours in a month or so and am in the process of finding something that is durable and will last.

Mike
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"
"Just Misbehavein' "

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"

Offline belfert

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »
It looks like they do carry white.
http://www.herculiner.com/questions.html#c

I am also going to be resealing the roof of ours in a month or so and am in the process of finding something that is durable and will last.

The website is wrong.  I couldn't find anybody selling the white so I called them directly last week and they said they discontinued white a year ago.

Offline LowTide

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 05:02:24 PM »
The website is wrong.  I couldn't find anybody selling the white so I called them directly last week and they said they discontinued white a year ago.

Belfert,

Thanks for the information. It looked like a promising product, but in black that would be "not so good"

Mike
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"
"Just Misbehavein' "

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"

Offline Simy

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 06:29:42 PM »
As an update, for the time being I think we are going to stick with just paint for now, that way I don't have to worry about the roof being even, or having rough edges. I'm more or less just going to make sure it doesn't have any more pinholes in my welds ( a few more spots to fix up) and let the primer and paint protect the metal for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for all the tips and information though. Quite a few products have come up and maybe a site wide poll on how long everybody has had what product on in one thread would be a good place for those trying to decide on what to do.

Offline treeplanter

• the grey ghost,1971 GMC 5305A
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 07:40:02 PM »
Check out a product called Bus-kote, it's also designed to reflect heat.
Timothy

Offline Simy

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 07:58:04 PM »
I read up on that it seems likely to be my choice if anybody here has any real world experiences with it, I would love to hear about it, but I'm still not sure its best for our situation. As far as paint/roll on products though it is currently at the top of my list if we decided to go down that road.

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 09:06:14 PM »
Check out a product called Bus-kote, it's also designed to reflect heat.

I put it on ("full package" - primer, Bus-Kote, clear sealer) about 6 weeks ago.  I haven't done A/C install yet so I can't verify the difference there but just sitting in the sun while I'm working on it, it's notably cooler.  Of course, no way to know how long it will last.  And, as usual, it took about 10 hours to prepare (got sold some really cruddy silicone caulk a few years ago) and 5 hours to paint.  I did one coat (looked good) of the primer, two coats of the Bus-Kote, and one coat of the clear and I used only 1/2 to 2/3 of the amount that they estimated I'd need.  I hope I didn't get it too thin but it looks good now.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal