Author Topic: Weighing the Bus  (Read 25604 times)

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
Re: Weighing the Bus
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2013, 07:54:23 PM »
So, we live in our bus full time. It's our house. I use my computer inside my bus to take IT support calls and make money from them. Am I commercial? Are you kidding me? This whole thing has everything to do with revenue for the state and absolutely zero to do with common sense.
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline sledhead

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2013, 04:52:09 AM »
I looked at my ownership ( title ) last night and as it was put by the ministry of transport 
 M C I 102c motor home  . My insurance has the same name , is insured as a private motor home .               So I guess its not a bus anymore   :-*                dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
Re: Re: Weighing the Bus
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2013, 06:34:55 AM »
Scott you bet you are. It also comes into play if you take ANY business deductions such as electric gas or maintanance on your coach. Registration tires etc. If it helps you in anyway make a wage or living.
If I was to have rentals in another state and took the bus to live in while fixing them up.Then took a deduction for my fuel to get there.I would then become commercial even though the coach was not being used to haul anything to the site except me.
Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline Jon

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2013, 06:44:27 AM »
Let's take the words bus or coach or motorhome out of the conversation and insert the word car, which also happens to be privately owned and registered in your name. If you drive anywhere in your car in the course of your business or employment and take the allowable deductions it still does not make your car a commercial vehicle, so if that is correct how is it possible to change the rules just because our motorhome (coach, conversion, bus) is used in the exact same manner?

Does anyone seriously believe a traffic cop or DOT inspector is going to ask to see our tax return? And so what? I have deducted bus expenses when we used it to go to trade shows, just like I would if I was using my car. I use my bus so I don't have to use a hotel, or so I can have my own bed, coffee and toilet. Hardly a commercial reason.

I think the bottom line is if you put a company name on you motorhome, or tell a cop you are on a business trip or you tell the cop it is nothing more than you home on wheels you can expect to put yourself in the position of trying to convince someone it is not a commercial vehicle. The best way to deal with officials is to say as little as you can and think before you say anything. The more you say the more likely you are digging yourself a hole.
Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2013, 08:46:53 AM »
This seems to have gotten out of proportion and off track?  Subject: Weigh the bus?

Maybe some of you should start another thread about common sense, legally commercial buses, and what not to say catchwords.

back to weighing the bus.  so what happens at a scale in IA when i'm not commercial, but I am over my load plate gvw, for example purposes only, by about 2000, and on the rear dual axle.  since i'm not selling anything, do I just drive on?
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2013, 08:57:52 AM »
Just to be clear, our setup is titled as an RV, it is privately owned, and it did not have the name of any business on it (now it does, with our DOT number). We try to stay inside the law as much as we possibly can (lol, who fights the law and wins? not...). Not to mention, there is personal beliefs that cause us to try to abide by the law.

We asked the local DMV, and they said don't worry about it. You are a private RV. RickB posted his situation, and that caused us to dig a lot deeper into this. Of course, going commercial is not popular and is not nice. Each person can justify why they think they should or shouldn't be commercial. That is fine. However, when you are sitting on the side of the road, with a cop parked behind you, that is not the time to get educated. Vehicles have been impounded for much less. Is it really worth the risk of losing your bus and facing heavy fines? I really don't care about explanations about how somebody isn't commercial. Whatever...  The question is, have you done the research yourself? Have you called the highway patrol? Have you talked to the really high ups at the DMV? Ideas and justifications don't matter at all. What does the law say? Do your own research, not just what you read online.

FWIW

Back on topic....(sorry for the thread drift, but it really all works together). We weigh about 45K, depending on how full our tanks are.
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2013, 09:11:07 AM »
Let's take the words bus or coach or motorhome out of the conversation and insert the word car, which also happens to be privately owned and registered in your name. If you drive anywhere in your car in the course of your business or employment and take the allowable deductions it still does not make your car a commercial vehicle, so if that is correct how is it possible to change the rules just because our motorhome  (coach, conversion, bus) is used in the exact same manner?
 The more you say the more likely you are digging yourself a hole.

Does your car weigh over/under 10,000 lbs. ?

@ Scott, have you considered taking your calls in your car ?  ???
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline Jon

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2013, 10:24:23 AM »
My Freightliner 15 yard dump truck does weigh in excess of 10,000 but since I never do anything with it other than for my own personal purposes (mulch, compost, etc) I was told by DOT of TN to register it as a farm vehicle and I did not need a CDL or have a need to cross the scales.

I personally verified that at the Nashville DOT as well as calling the nearest scale house and talking to a trooper there and the story was the same.
Jon

Knoxville, TN

Offline muldoonman

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2013, 11:25:04 AM »
Have a small 100 acre farm here. Haul my own equipment/hay/cattle and whatever. Have been told different rules on my farm tagged trucks. Some (DPS Offices) say I need a non Commercial CDL and some say no. Yes I carry an Ag Registered card. They say the same on my Texas Titled Prevost Motorhome. 42,000 lbs on title. Had one tell me at a coffee shop down Galveston Tx.  way, as long as I had Private Coach tag mounted by door, No Problem. Go figure with the dps not knowing there rules.

Offline Jon

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2013, 11:28:47 AM »
That shows the difference between states. I believe TX requires a CDL for vehicles above 26,000, but for my 53,000 pound coach or the dump truck used non commercially a regular car driver license is all that is required.

I have a Class A CDL and current medical so the driver license requirements are not a concern
Jon

Knoxville, TN

Offline akroyaleagle

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2013, 08:19:47 AM »
I have no personal monetary interest in this outfit but for a little over $4, you can have your very own copy.

This is the top rated authority for most Operators. It is easily understood. I have issued a lot of them when I was employed. Every driver got their own. I still carry one in my coach which has the important, often questioned, rules high lighted.

http://www.jjkeller.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Federal-Motor-Carrier-Safety-Regulations-Pocketbook_10151_-1_10551_59244?PromoCode=32305&cm_mmc=Google-_-JJK+>+Trans+>+Srch+>+FMCSR-_-FMCSR+>+Srch+>+Ext+>+Txt-_-txt>888+url>150&gclid=COCNutTwk7kCFcdr7AodEEIAjw
Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2013, 09:45:01 AM »
So we will be weighing Sean (Seangie)'s Eagle tomorrow. Anyone placing bets on his weight? Single Axle 10S. Sean's been eating a lot lately, so if he's the one driving onto the scales, count that in too  :o   

And I know this has been discussed before, but if our coach tips the scales at around 33,000 lbs, (MCI 9) can we legally chain our tags in the lifted position? Not asking about driving characteristics or braking performance, etc, I am aware of those variables, just for my own thought process, just wanted to know if it was legal for me to drive with my tags chained.
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline belfert

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2013, 09:57:25 AM »
If you aren't over the federal limit for axle weight you should be legal.  I had to chain up one wheel on my tag axle once to get home.  Based on previously weighing each wheel I was transferring about 3,000 to 3,500 lbs to the drive axle.  I inflated the drive axle tires on that side to max and only filled the fuel tank half way to save on weight.  (Fuel tank directly in front of drive axle.)
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline TomC

« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2013, 09:19:15 AM »
The only time you are considered commercial is if you're carrying anything you can make money from. Computer doesn't count. Like rodeo people carrying their horses to the rodeo where they could win a purse. Or pulling a race car where you could win money. Take the money factor out, and it turns into a hobby. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2013, 09:38:56 AM »
The problem is now the entertainers are running on RV plates we just got back from the KS rally and they were pulling over bus type and  motorhome RV's outside Guymon Ok and Dalhart Tex we went through both checks points following the signs it said all RV's must exit I think the best is yet to come  ::)
Life is short drink the good wine first

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal