Author Topic: Weighing the Bus  (Read 25670 times)

Offline B_K

Re: Weighing the Bus
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 02:04:25 PM »
They are probably only using the signs targeting RV's in SD trying to catch all the people headed to Sturgis for the "Black Hills Rally" for REVENUE !
;D  BK  ;D

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 02:23:31 PM »
Having driven my coach ( not a bus conversion) on I-29 and I-90 Iowa & SD 3 trips, never noticed a sign like that, the only place a sign saying Bus Inspection  have seen was in NJ.
Would most likely drive by it, if the needed me, they know how to get me.  I am very able to miss an unusual sign  :D. That is an unusual sign in my world.
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline Jon

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 05:44:38 PM »
B.K. I failed to appreciate the fact there was a sign that said motorhomes. My bad.

However, we had a Prevost rally in SD and invited the state police to the rally to weigh our coaches and talk about the laws regarding our coaches such as weights, lengths, etc.

At their seminar they made two points. First, tourism is a very big deal for the state and as such recreational vehicles such as ours were off their radar. (their exact words.) They went on to say however, if we are stupid, such as speeding, aggressive driving etc. they will then likely go over our rig with a fine tooth comb.

But they made it clear we are not commercial and they have no interest in us.

The Montana LLC was questioned because the bus is registered to a business venture. The response was if they have no reason to stop us that is a non issue.
Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN

Offline akroyaleagle

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 09:07:50 PM »
Some confusion also may be that folks delivering new RVs are probably Commercial.
Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Offline TomC

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 09:08:48 PM »
You should weigh the bus by front axle, rear axle, tag axle. Then you'll know exactly what tire pressure to run and get the best combination of ride and longevity out of your tires. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline TheHollands!

• thehollands!
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 09:30:08 PM »
I know when we first purchased our bus I was not sure whether I had to pull into weigh. We do about 25,000 miles each year and I haven't seen a station that said a motorhome needed to pull in. Most troopers or sheriffs Iv'e run into in casual meetings have been more than encouraging that we converted a bus and hit the road with our family.
Craig
The Hollands!
1984 MCI-9
www.tillersandtravelers.wordpress.com
Musical Nomads

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 04:56:19 AM »
Where we live there are a few weigh stations on the main highways that require all vehicles registered for over 3,000 Kg (6600 lbs) to pull in if directed or the lights are on.  There is no distinction between commercial and non-commercial up here as far as weight laws go.  I always pull in, because my truck is registered for 4,000 Kg, but I always just get a wave and a thumbs up and go.  I asked my friend about it, he said he hasn't pulled in since the weigh stations were first built, and never had any issue.  I just figure it's better to be safe than sorry. 

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline 5B Steve

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 07:54:48 AM »
Steve, they have a weigh station on I90 near Rapid City too that doesn't state if the vehicle is commercial or not - Even though I have an RVIA sticker I went through - Still not sure if it was required - I guess your saying I did the right thing but it was still confusing -

Niles,

I also saw that scale but didn't enter, never saw a sign saying so.  What I think they were looking for were

people that might be selling things out of there vechicles. If that was the case I guess like  I mentioned "A

REVENUE THING" Lol!!

Steve 5B......

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
BK nailed it. If you are discovered to have anything that you are selling, the law considers you commercial. Can you skate by and avoid the law? Maybe, but lookout if you are caught.

We played it safe, and are fully commercial. Is it a major pain? Yes it is, but it just isn't worth it to not be commercial.

YMMV
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline Miss Scarlett

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 04:03:10 PM »
What would it cost someone to go from RV status to fully commercial? I would think insurance and DOT inspections would be the biggest cost and hassle.
Miss Scarlett is an Eagle 10 with a 6v92 and Allison 740
UPDATE: finished enough to use!!!- exterior will remain original.
-Dan

Offline Jon

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 05:01:30 PM »
I imagine if a coach is used for commercial purposes such as for hire, or as a display coach it would require all that is required of any commercial heavy vehicle. But there is a huge gray area in between full commercial and personal use only.

For quite a few years my personally owned coach was used to cover trade shows and we carried the display and product samples in the bay. As a result I was using my coach as a salesman would use his car in the pursuit of business. Just like the salesman using his car with a trunk full of brochures making sales calls has a commercial purpose, his car is still a non-commercial vehicle. That is a direct parallel to our use of the coach. At the end of the day it was our home away from home.

Jon

Knoxville, TN

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 05:36:08 PM »
My good friend using a Senicrusier, towing a 1 car trailer, frequenty drove from Va to Fl, buy upper end slightly used autos, all went well, many trips. One day he drove into Pa, bought a very fine upper end car, and headed home to Va, OH, the Pa state police had a road check, all would have been fine as a private operator who just purchased a new toy, problem was he bought the car in his business name, BINGO, they got him big time, now needs log book, fuel sticker, DOT inspections etc.  He gave up on that mode of operations.  Still cost a large bundle to get out clean.
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline TomC

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 07:17:33 AM »
Just like rodeo people-if they have a chance of winning a purse-that is a commercial vehicle hauling the horses. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Jon

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 08:25:20 AM »
I'm having a hard time getting around the premise that if I use my personal bus (you can substitute car, pickup, plane, etc.) to take me to trade shows or a rodeo it can be construed as a commercial vehicle.

It is easy to understand someone who is asked a question about the purpose of a trip to state they are going to a business destination, but that doesn't instantly convert the conveyance into a commercial vehicle unless that is the vehicle's sole purpose. I can understand how an owner can get himself in a jam if he is using a Montana LLC (and Montana plates) to avoid sales tax because at that point he has just dug himself a hole he will not likely crawl out of. But my coach has the same type tags as my car. And even if I go to a bus rally to sell helium filled tires, the coach is still my home on wheels and is not used solely for commerce. Its use to take me to a trade show is no more commercial than if I drove my car or pickup truck to the same trade show.

There has to be more to the horror stories some folks are telling that is omitted. I can easily imagine a guy with a Scenicruiser engaging in friendly conversation with the traffic cops who want to know all about it, and then casually asking him does he get to use it much. At which point he blurts out "oh yeah, I take it to all car sales and usually bring back cars I buy on the trailer." At that point he has opened mouth, inserted foot.
Jon

Knoxville, TN

Offline akroyaleagle

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 09:43:08 AM »
This is from the FMCSA regulations.

ยง 383.3Applicability.(a) The rules in this part apply to every person who operates a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) in interstate, foreign, or intrastate commerce, to all employers of such persons, and to all States.

To most folks these Regs mean nothing and they are rightfully unaware they even exist.
The problem arises in the interpretation of what constitutes a "Commercial Vehicle."
If interpretation were left up to the individual, we would never need lawyers.

Government regulations are written not by one person but by different entities in their own interests. They are then enacted by politicians with no knowledge of the matter. Most (including the FAA) end up being very confusing to the normal reader.

The burden of proof resides with the "Violator".

Having owned, driven, managed large fleets of trucks and busses and written entire safety programs including OSHA Rules for some of them, I believe the folowing to be the norm:

Except for the largest companies, there exists a "We've always done it this way mentality."
Ignorance of Requirements.
Inability to understand the complete regulations.
A tendancy to ask "someone who knows" instead of researching for themselves.
"It'll probably be OK."
Forgiveness is easier than permission.

These are just a few of the problems.

I am of the school that states: "If you have to ask yourself "Does this describe me?" it probably does.
Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal