Author Topic: Gas Struts for Bed  (Read 14173 times)

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
Gas Struts for Bed
« on: August 20, 2013, 01:57:36 PM »
I appreciate all the input on mattress types.  However, I'm also realizing that the weight of the mattress can be neutralized by adding a pair of gas struts to assist in lifting the mattress to access the space underneath. 

But, I have no idea how to measure the struts I need, what size, what length, what strength.  I have equally no idea how or where to mount them.  I don't know if the struts need assistance from an electrical load, or if they work like the hatch of a mini-van.  I don'y know where to buy struts, and I don't know what to ask for.  I'm not even sure they're called struts.

Come to think of it, I don't know much at all.... so, any and all advice and experience is welcome.

Dave
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline Jerry32

Re: Gas Struts for Bed
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 02:26:08 PM »
It has been a while since I built mine but you have to think of the hight  you want the bed when it is up. then just mount the bottom at the bottom of the bed stand near the top. and the other end on the bed frame at the closed distance of the ones you have. Jerry
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 03:09:47 PM »
Good luck on this one!   I have built 2 strut assisted beds. The info for determining size and weight on the internet is too complicated for a non engineer to understand.

The first attempt was rough but usable. The second attempt was almost but not quite OK. The bed takes a real effort to start pushing down, then drops the last few inchs.

For the 2nd attempt I went to the Lift and Store bed website and copied what they had as best I could. I ordered what I needed online, maybe Ebay?
                                                                                               HTH  JIm
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline TomC

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 07:18:39 AM »
I installed 2-100lb gas struts on my bed. Made it easier to lift, but still doesn't hold it in the opened position. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:35:17 AM »
I bought mine from http://stores.ebay.com/strut-your-stuff-here they are a 120 lb strut.  My bed is a king size made with 1/2" plywood, the mattress is a heavy hi tech foam. I guess the mattress is about 300lbs?

Columbia Struts CS2440-120 24.40 inch extended 10 inches stroke. 120 pounds force fully extended, force goes up 30 to 40 percent fully retracted . Snap on nylon composite 10 mm ball sockets to fit 10 mm ball. 8mm rod and 18 mm tube. Chrome or black our choice.

Tom's will not stay up, mine is hard to get started down. I suspect it is the improper placement of the struts that causes this? It is not bad enough to experiment with the placement of the struts.
                                                                        JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 05:10:45 PM »
Dave you can get them at CW with instructions.

We have a 12 volt lift. We just push a button for on and then push up or down. PO was Bus mechanic and made it out of an actuator with a wheel that rides a track under the plywood and an arm slides it along the track. As it slides it lifts the bed up within 1 inch of the ceiling.

Dave5Cs

"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 05:25:50 PM »
Another view.

Dave5Cs
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 04:23:41 AM »
I love the electric one...that gets my brain motor running...then that stupid practical side of me kicks in and reminds me that I'm not that smart. :)

Thanks for the help and pictures.

It seems from the responses that this is a guessing game and only a few of you have actually gone in that end of the pool.  I'll let you know if I succeed.

Thanks

Dave
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline trucktramp

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 07:00:45 AM »
I don't know what size struts you may need but I can tell you that the last time I was in Bontrager's  they had many different lengths and weight struts.  I don't remember the price but I don't think they were that expensive so if you had to experiment it could be done cheaply.  They also had actuators for slide outs that could be used if you wanted to go that route.

I just had a brain flash.  Couldn't you weigh the part of the bed that you want to hold up and use that as a starting point for the strut weight?  I'm just guessing here so I don't really know if it would work.  If someone had a large enough hanging scale like a produce or a fishing scale this may work.  Just a thought.
Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 07:26:55 AM »
   Those electric ones can be found on E site as linear actuators. Just look for correct voltage, length of travel and torque. Some are quite reasonable.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 07:44:04 AM »
Dave, try putting a foot scale between the bed frame and the plywood under the mattress, with all bed layers in place, if the scale readout is readable past your comforter, shouldnt that give you a ballpark weight? Lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 08:38:07 AM »
We used linear actuators that can lift 200lbs each side.  12 volt, with limit switch and toggle up/down.  we bought from an outfit www.firgelliauto.com some time ago, but they appear to still be in business.
swivel ends mounted on the mattress support board and on the floor.  The pic shows struts, but deleted them  after the actuators in.  I don't remember the size, but I think around 18" for our size pedestal.
we store a bunch of stuff under their in those plastic suction bags that make blankets about an inch thick by 2ft sq. parkas really shrink, too.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline wagwar

• Mighty Bus Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 09:12:23 AM »
Thanks to Cody (on the other bbs). These worked great for my queen size bed. Should work for a king too:

Jim, napa has a good lift for about 50 bucks each that you might like, the napa part number is #819-5539, from the hinge set the upper mount 33 inches and the lower mount 20.5, or adjust to suit yourself.

Offline Cary and Don

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 10:00:45 AM »
We have the electric lift in our Eagle.  That is one of my favorite things.  It makes using that area convenient. Installing it is really pretty easy.  It will lift high enough that you can actually get into the whole area without hitting your head or wondering if it is going to come down on you. It is lifting the 3/4" plywood platform, queen posturepedic mattress, and a 3" 5lb memory foam pad.

Don and Cary
1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 01:24:41 PM »
Plus all the bed clothes and 3 cats in our bus!.... ;D
This winter when the mouse got in it ate through the vacuum bags and they expanded. When I opened it up the things in the bags came rolling out and up.

Dave5Cs
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal