Author Topic: Work Pit  (Read 21459 times)

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
Re: Work Pit
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 12:43:43 PM »
Don also safety railings between 34 and 37 inches high  with cable to attach his safety belt while in the pit, around whole pit and next to the ladder which would never meet OSHA standards. Also a fume ventilation system will need to be installed. Lets not forget the both at the corner for 2 spotters just in case of an earthquake while in the pit.

Grant see what you started. Man this is going to cost us some serious money.

Dave5Cs
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline grantgoold

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 12:48:13 PM »
Just came back from Home Depot and purchased one 4x16x.5 piece of rough pine for building little concrete forms. I saw the cashier ring up my purchase and noticed a new fee! There was a .06% charge for labor? I was told that was to mitigate the impact of lumber mills in CA.  A new fee!  A "labor" fee on lumber!  Eight years and I am out of here!
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline Kenny

Re: Re: Work Pit
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 01:55:30 PM »
CrabbyMilton
I believe the rear end was replaced at some point in time since the front axel has 6 lug wheels and are not interchangeable with the rear. Plan on replacing the rear and front axel with newer 10 bolt hubs. Original engine was a straight 8 Buick. I got it with a Ford 427 FE engine. Tranny is original manual 4 speed. All in all runs great for now.
1941 and 1945 Flxible - South Lyon, Michigan

Offline Kenny

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 02:00:36 PM »
I do have boards to completely cover the openings while not in use.  Pit has lights, floor drains and ventilation fans to pull out fumes. Kenny

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 02:21:47 PM »
Kenny that really is sweet. We are just givin you a hard time. Just a little jealous. ;D

Dave5Cs
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

Offline CrabbyMilton

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 03:31:46 PM »
Thanks Kenny. You don't see many buses with those old "Dayton" wheels. They were popular on skoolies until about the late 90's into the early '00's. I've read that they are good in that they are easier to change since the wheels weigh less to lift them on to the hub as opposed to "bud" wheels but they are a pain to get them perfectly straight to avoid wobble. Those "dayton" wheels always looked interesting to me don't know why. :)

Offline Kenny

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 03:38:57 PM »
Dave, not a problem. There needs to be more humor in life.  I must admit though,  many of the comments made relating to local ordinances are not far off. Many times to protect those who have little common sense. Kenny

Offline grantgoold

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 04:11:42 PM »
Kenny! That is awesome! How nice! Put a few flowers around the pit and no one will every know what jewel you have.  I am seriously jealous!

Thanks for letting me vent! My therapist says I need to let a few things go and you have helped me tremendously.

Again, very nice work!

Grant
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline Miss Scarlett

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 04:39:40 PM »
Did anyone calculate the size of the runoff pond that will be needed to deal with the "oil spillage". If you install a Detroit it could be substantial!  ;D
Miss Scarlett is an Eagle 10 with a 6v92 and Allison 740
UPDATE: finished enough to use!!!- exterior will remain original.
-Dan

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 07:59:02 PM »
Kenny, is that a Michigan plate on your Jag? Where are you? Might have to drive over someday and check out your pit :-)
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline B_K

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 05:09:35 AM »
Kenny, is that a Michigan plate on your Jag? Where are you? Might have to drive over someday and check out your pit :-)

Scott his tag line says " South Lyon, Michigan "
So I'd guess your correct on his plate!
;D  BK  ;D

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 04:54:38 PM »
I am not a "pit" fan.  You could of spent a year working on your bus instead of the pit.  A couple of 12" X 8' ramps will get you underneath the bus just fine using a creeper.

--Geoff
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2013, 05:46:51 PM »
It would tough for a individual to comply with the OSHA standard for a pit I just read section 1910.23 on finished pits it is the PIT'S I'll pass on one thanks
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Kenny

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 06:15:14 PM »
Scott, yes were in South Lyon, Michigan.  Your welcome to stop by anytime. Give me a call ahead of time. 248 two zero seven 3 eight 4 eight. Ken

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2013, 10:14:26 PM »
Clifford we built one here in Lincoln, CA for a lumber company who took care of all their logging trucks and delivery trucks all 18 wheeler. Lots of county rules and then federal rules because of OSHA. 1 Guy slipped and fell into the pit. Was not hurt but the company had to report it. He hadn't put his harness on because he was working on ground level. He wasn't watching where he was stepping and where the stairs were there was open railing to the stairs. They didn't fine him for no hand-railing because that was ok at the stairs but because he didn't have a harness on? He would have had no where to secure it at ground level. They wanted to charge him and the company 44K. We asked where the fine schedule was. They said they didn't have one it was what they decided to charge as the severity of the accident. He wasn't hurt????

I wish I could use the ones at Sourthern Pacific just down the street from us. It is known as the "bottom of the hill". Roseville, CA pit yards. They bring the trains into these huge buildings with long pits ( football field length) and have hydrolic lifts that run on a track under the trains in the pit with 50 mechanics and all their tools. They drop those big motors down onto the cradle and off they go to get re-built 3 weeks and they put them back into another engine.  Right now there are probably 20 engines in line, that will be re motored and turned around in a week and up and over the Sierra mountains heading north and east.

Dave5Cs
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal