Author Topic: What brand of spray on liner for the roof is good?  (Read 13440 times)

Offline Miss Scarlett

Re: What brand of spray on liner for the roof is good?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 03:29:05 PM »
I used butyl rubber caulking around my windows. You can smooth it out using a finger dipped in mineral spirits.

Dan
Miss Scarlett is an Eagle 10 with a 6v92 and Allison 740
UPDATE: finished enough to use!!!- exterior will remain original.
-Dan

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 03:02:01 AM »
I'm thinking the best way to stop roof leaks once and for all is with spray on bed liner on the roof.  Can anyone recommend a good brand name that might have a dealer in the Minneapolis area? 

We had the bed of our Ranger sprayed at a place in Rogers. I think it's called ArmaCoatings. They did a great job. 2 hours. $428.
It's a little harder than Rhino. Not quite as sticky, but seems to be holding up very well though we don't haul much more than groceries in it.
They had a display of several different colors they can spray. No idea if they can do a bus roof, but I suspect they could. They have a pretty big
shop where they do the spraying.
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline belfert

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 07:31:59 AM »
I've been talking with ArmaCoatings.  Their rough estimate wasn't too bad.  To get a detailed estimate I need to send them a bunch of pictures or take the bus to them.  I simply don't have the couple of hours to take the bus for an estimate.  They do white, but it has to be top coated to protect from UV.  There are spray on products that won't yellow, but they said they have to have a complete separate system for spraying the other products or they have to spend hundreds of dollars cleaning their equipment.

I've also talked to Smith's Ultimate Coatings and David's Permanent Coatings (rvroof.com).  Both wanted $5,000 or so.  The good thing about rvroof.com is they replace all vents and do all the labor to remove air conditioners and anything else that needs removal.  They are more than I can afford and more than I want to invest in my bus.  The travel costs alone to either of these places would pay for most of the job at ArmaCoatings.

I'm still considering DIY, but I don't know that I would get a smooth consistent application that completely seals everything.  If I go the DIY route I would probably use Monstaliner which is UV safe.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 08:51:33 AM »
This stuff looks good Clifford.

http://www.smithsultimate.com/html/index.php
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 09:19:02 AM »
I hate to admitting mistakes, but i figure i could save someone else the grief.
I ordered the Henry's solarflex 5 gal bucket based on comments here.  I didn't ask to right questions from the folks that used Henry's, nor did i pay that much attention to where they were when they put it on.
Turns out, Henry's doesn't cure for 24 to 48 hours.  It REQUIRES absolute dryness.  i read the directions when we ordered it in but didn't pay enough attention to dew. We don't have dry days without dew in TN. 
i picked days that were excellent this week to apply paint.  no rain for 3-4 days, low 80's and high 50's to low 60's at night.  Great time to paint.
i put the first coat on yesterday starting at about 11 and finishing at 5.  The roof was well below the too hot to touch temp.  Perfect.
This morning, i thought i'd put the 2nd coat on, then noticed some ugly drool sections on the edges of the roof.  Climbing up the ladder, it was just a little water still on the roof.  But the center sections, where it was flatter, had goopy paint that was like watered down.
I called Henry's, after re-reading the label and realizing my error.  They said nothing you can do but hope the sun drys it out enough today, before the dew tonight.
now, i have to put the  roof back together, put the ac covers on, and maybe finish painting it under a roof next month when i don't have time to fuss with this, which is why i wanted to get it done now.

beware of Henry's and other paints that just don't dry well.  roof paint?  not unless you live where it's a desert or have a building to hide under. 
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal