Author Topic: power steering fluid blowing overboard  (Read 18535 times)

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
power steering fluid blowing overboard
« on: September 05, 2013, 08:06:42 AM »
This problem has annoyed me for a long time.  When it's cold the the power steering system on my Eagle grinds and whines when making any turn and blows ATF out of the reservoir which gets all over my alternator and makes a mess.  After it warms up it is fine.  Why does it do this and how can I make is stop?  I keep the fluid level between the upper and lower level on the dipstick.

Offline akroyaleagle

Re: power steering fluid blowing overboard
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 08:10:20 AM »
David,
Have you replaced the filter in the bottom of tank?
Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 08:12:50 AM »
Have you changed the filter in the canister could be someone used the wrong filter or installed it wrong the number for the filter is posted on the EI board sorry I see Joe was on the same track
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline David Anderson

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 08:48:17 AM »
Have you changed the filter in the canister could be someone used the wrong filter or installed it wrong the number for the filter is posted on the EI board sorry I see Joe was on the same track
Possible.  I've been buying them from NAPA  filter #1487.    You say the correct number is posted on the Eagle board?

Offline David Anderson

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 09:43:24 AM »
searched and found this thread

http://www.eaglesinternational.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2693&start=0&hilit=power+steering+filter

1487 is the right filter.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it sure is noisy when cold.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 10:31:39 AM »
Ok in the canister you have the filter setting on a big washer and rubber seal washer same thing on the top with the spring on the top ? if that is in place you can remove the top run the engine and check for air bubbles you should have a vent is it clean

Offline David Anderson

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 03:00:14 PM »
Started engine, slowly removed handscrew from top.  When it came out all the way I promptly got a bath of ATF.  Quickly put the screw back in and cleaned up the mess.  Fluid is low which I expected since it was thrown overboard when it spilled during groaning turns while cold. 

I cannot duplicate the groaning here in Texas hot weather.  It only happens when it is  below 55.

The manual shows no picture of the nomenclature of the reservoir.  The parts I have are the handscrew, washer, cap, spring, filter, rubber washer and reservoir can in that order.  Am I missing anything?

Offline gus

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 03:30:36 PM »
My Sheppard system does that when i overfill it while cold and there is air in the system.

I now wait until it is warmed up a bit before I add fluid. Motor oil in my case.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 04:03:49 PM »
Check the suction line for restrictions they should not blow oil every where with the engine idling send me your address I will send my Ross manual to you

I remove the top with the engine running and never had one "knock on wood" blow oil out just a swirling motion of the oil inside the canister

Run yours for a few minutes shut the engine down remove the top and see if it is milky or has air bubbles   

Offline David Anderson

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 07:14:11 PM »
The eagle manual contains a detailed breakdown of the operation of the steering pump system.  Is your manual different than what I have? 

The lines are original as far as I know.  Maybe I should change them out.  That will be a big job replacing those front to back lines.  Yuk :-[

Offline David Anderson

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 07:17:32 PM »
Sent you a PM, Clifford

David

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 07:54:50 PM »
David do you have the Eaton or Vickers pump ? If you have the Vickers I would remove it and check to be sure the fiber coupling is still intact the Eaton is round  pump and is gear driven

Offline David Anderson

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 04:28:54 PM »
I'll check.  We got home last night 2300 total miles.  I will check sometime next week.  Got lots of catching up to do since we have been gone almost a month.

David

Offline David Anderson

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 04:44:48 PM »
opened up the reservoir and drained the fluid.  Couldn't find anything in the bottom at the suction end of the tank that would restrict flow.  Restricted flow on the suction side is my most obvious problem at this point since the pump is returning more ATF to the reservoir than it is taking out when its temperature is low.  Is there any kind of pressure valve or restriction valve on the suction end of the pump? 

I'll have to take the floor out of the bedroom to get to the pump.  I'll do that sometime later in the week.

Offline akroyaleagle

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 07:45:02 PM »
David,

The pump cannot return more fluid than it takes out.
It may be pumping air through a supply side leak and returning that.
Good Luck and let us know what you find.
Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal