Author Topic: Can I use drive tire on a tage axle?  (Read 3488 times)

Offline belfert

Can I use drive tire on a tage axle?
« on: September 06, 2013, 05:44:10 PM »
Could I use a drive tire on a tag axle?  I always thought they needed to be a steer or all position tire.  I've been looking for a good used 11R24.5 steer tire for my tag axle with no luck.  I think I would have better luck with a drive tire.

I'm starting to wonder if a used tire for the tag is worth it.  A used tire would need replacement twice as often.  A used tire is $200 to $225 plus sales tax mounted and balanced plus sales tax.  I can get a decent new tire for $425 plus sales tax mounted and balanced. 
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
Re: Can I use drive tire on a tage axle?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 05:50:20 PM »
Brian -

Tag tires on 40-footers are the "death spot," where older worn tires go to get scrubbed to death.

TTBOMK, it doesn't matter what type's on the tag - drive, steer or all-position, all it does is take the "wiggle" out of the coach while driving and help support the weight.

Even a decent recap will work there.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 10:10:45 PM »

If you get 2 new you can put them on the front. then rotate old front to one of the drives, and then old  drive to Tags.

Way to rotate without having to buy all new tires at once.
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline belfert

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 06:37:34 AM »
I'm not sure where I got the idea that tags needed to have steer or all position tires.

I just replaced the steer tires a year ago so I don't know that it makes sense to replace the steers again.  Shouldn't drive tires be replaced all at once on the same axle anyhow?
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 06:43:25 AM »
That is the practice for the bus people here but there is no need as long as the tires are the same height can you picture a truck driver blowing out 1 drive tire and replacing all 8 it's not happening 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 05:00:36 PM »
How about Bandag recaps?
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline B_K

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »
Brian a lot of the larger charter companies are telling me they have found out the best investment they have found is RECAPS for the tag axle!

Personally I don't like to even hear the words "recap" and "bus" in the same sentence.

However what they are telling me is the recaps are a harder composition of rubber and don't scrub off as fast as a "virgin" tire compound.

This combined with the fact that the tags don't support near the weight as the drives and steers do. They say they are seeing very little to zero problems out of the recaps as long as they are properly inflated.

Aren't you running a "Pressure Pro" or similar tire monitor?
If so I'd think recaps might be the answer for you too!
;D  BK  ;D

Offline belfert

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 05:28:41 PM »
I ended up buying another new Roadmaster RM185 tire like I put on the steers last year.  I paid $344 out the door with a $75 casing credit.  I finally gave up looking for a used tire as I figured I might need two used tires for every new tire so the price difference would be minimal over time although I didn't figure in a possible casing credit.

I have averaged about 5,500 miles for for each year I had my first set of tires.  I doubt I'll ever wear out a tag tire even with the scrubbing before they age out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal