Author Topic: 98 prevost xl45 rt front wont air up  (Read 7657 times)

Offline Busnut83

98 prevost xl45 rt front wont air up
« on: September 07, 2013, 09:34:03 PM »
looks like too much in rear but it will level using the low level switch. leaks out if low level is turned off.  help

Offline Jon

Re: 98 prevost xl45 rt front wont air up
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 04:34:28 AM »
Can you be more specific as to what is happening? I'm not sure of what is happening but I can tell you that if you have a motorhome conversion shell (not seated) diagnosing suspension issues is pretty easy but to do so we need to know what conversion you have (Liberty, Royale, CC, etc) plus if the level low has been modified, such as Liberty does with their proprietary leveling or CC with an HWH over ride. Then we need an exact description of what you are pushing or turning and what the coach does in response to your actions.
Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 06:58:11 AM »
Assuming it is the XLE  there is no reason it should not air up in the drive position. Now in level low you need to check:  There is a stack in the compartment below the drivers  side front window lower compartment (level low  system)  I think your is one serial # newer than mine.  In drive position only problem for one side to be compromised could be blocked kinked line.  If I remember correct at the front Norgren Valve (located next to leveling valve) between front tires there is where in drive position the front two bags are balanced.  or split. when used individual for leveling.   So conclusion:  it is from the stack in the front compartment getting the wrong or no- signal  or is stuck.. The only signal to the level low stack should be to the center coil with key on and this should let your bus air up normal when your bus reaches normal air pressure.   Hope this simple answer helps.. I tried to make it as simple as possible.   Will give a better source or Jon Can to PC if needed.   Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Busnut83

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 12:47:22 PM »
Yes xle...  What should I do??? When aired up rt front is low... Switch to low level, Push level to raise and it raises rt front... can drive it while aired up but the red low level light stays on... Turn switch off and rt front lowers again????   What should I check or do???? Prior to this I didnt know the low level system worked/\?

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 01:09:54 PM »
What I would try for now.  In the front lower driver side compartment there is a bank of solenoids the center one is activated by the key switch  .  if you disconnect the other ones . your bus should operate as if the level low system wasn't activated. remember which ones the wires came off of for future use.  Try that first.. on prevostcommunity.com   up top there is a article section. click it then level low . and that may help.  little hard to grasp at first.  The system is a basic electric switch telling a air valve to open and close.  The center solenoid switch will allow you system to revert back to a straight air valve system like on a seated coach.(close to it -almost).   good luck.   Bob

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 01:26:08 PM »
Check the relay R43 the proximity switch is not seeing the arm of the front leveling valve at normal ride height when in kneeling or down the proximity switch gives a temporary ground to the R43 till the bus raises

good luck   
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Busnut83

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 01:54:32 PM »
Thanks going to try that now... Will let you know what happens...

Offline Jon

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »
I respect Bob and Clifford because these guys know their stuff, but before you get real deep into this just swap out the third solenoid coil on the solenoid bank in the steer compartment for any other one. Keep the center coil wires going to the center coil. Put the selector in the road or driving position and see if it goes to the ride height. That a three minute fix and I think that might be the problem.
Jon

Knoxville, TN

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 03:22:17 PM »
I am not asking him to change anything just make sure he is getting the temporary ground from the proximity switch to the R43 cost me 1400 bucks on a H-40 at Prevost in Ft Worth to find that out your method should work if the temporary ground is there 

It is a good system for the most part trouble free for years, like the guys told me at HWH Prevost should have copied MCI and made it very simple

I will never figure out why people that own a Prevost do not take advantage of one of the best tech programs in the business  ::) I am not ashamed to call  

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 04:25:48 PM »
center coil/switch control(electric  over air)- is key to normal ride height.  The rest of system takes much more time to explain. so I was thinking maybe your stack of coils was getting multiple signals =disconnect all but center one.  Jon is thinking maybe center coil is bad and is not doing it's job= not opening correct air passage.  So two things you can try.  Try them then we will go further.  too much info to quick will get you more confused.  Ground in system is basic flaw also if you see a black wire loose in the area please note this also.  Best of luck.   Ps will verify color of ground for sure tomorrow and post.  Bob

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 06:03:13 PM »
Sounds like Jon has the most likely repair, happened exactly like that to me only it was the driver rear - HTH and FWIW
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 07:28:18 AM »
black is ground    blue goes to center coil   black grounds all coils.   If you want to run without level low center coil must still be hot to bypass system.  hope this makes things clear.  If later you want  to fix your system we will trouble shoot it.  Since yours is prob of the same run as mine it should have 24Volt coils unless someone changed them.   FWIW to others  our coaches or 1 number apart. and both XLE     Bob

Offline Jon

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 03:03:17 PM »
Just so it's clear I was not bring critical of Clifford or Bob's advice. Both really know their stuff, but my simple brain just goes after the simple stuff first. The description of the problem is still not clear so my starting point may be in the wrong direction.
Jon

Knoxville, TN

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 04:31:17 PM »
No problem here... We prob read poster different.  I was under impression he doesn't use it under normal use and it just caused a problem.  Either way between us we can get it by passed or restored to operating condition. level low that is.  Little complicated to grasp at first site but prob solving is in steps.  Bob

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 04:45:54 PM »
I am differently one for the simple fix ,he must not have solved the problem yet no report back

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal