Author Topic: MPPT charge controller question  (Read 8645 times)

Offline Iceni John

Re: MPPT charge controller question
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 12:52:16 PM »
John, can you post a picture of the top of your bus?
If I can get the hang of posting pictures, sure!   However, I am photographically challenged at best.   If you ever in SoCal, contact me and I'll give a free tour to whoever's interested!

Remember that I have a bus with a very curved roof, similar to the GMs and other older 1950s-era buses, so I can have the panels sit about 20 degrees below flat when thay're stowed for travel, or for when that side is facing a high summer sun.   Folk with flat roofs will have an easier time of installing panels, but wiill lose the ability to have them much below level.

The walkway will be made from two 25 ft lengths of 2" 6061 angle bolted every 19" to the ribs, the 1/4" diamond-plate between them and 4" above the roof (to clear the junction boxes), and the panels hinged to the angle.   Very simple really.   I will include bracing to control any sideways or fore/aft movement, so the panels will be secure even in high winds when they're raised.   The bolts will be socket-head 3/8" stainless, inserted up through the ceiling from below and going through each rib's flange, with EPDM gaskets and lots of caulk or butyl tape to stop water leaks.

At least, that's the plan!

John 
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline Iceni John

Re: MPPT charge controller question
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 01:04:36 PM »
Jerry,

I chose a small 6-gallon water heater on purpose, to limit my use of water when boondocking.   Even though I have 220 gallons of fresh water, I want it to last long enough to make extended trips off-grid.   My criteria is that the bus should comfortably support one person for at least a month, or two for at least a fortnight  -  that means taking a reasonable shower every night, using the loo normally (my girlfriend doesn't pee or squat behind chollas!), and cooking and living a more-or-less normal life.   Having a 10-gallon heater could tempt one to take bourgeois decadent showers and use up all the water too quickly.   I want to have a batch-type recirculating heater, if that's not oxymoronic, to slightly increase the total storage quantity of hot water.   Anyway, all that's in the future  -  I have plenty else to obsess over for now.

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal