Author Topic: Would this make a good conversion project?  (Read 3025 times)

Offline jmblake

• Jason & Martha Blake
    • Creative Custom Cabinetry
Would this make a good conversion project?
« on: September 15, 2013, 06:31:14 AM »
I really like the looks of the MCI E & J models and call me crazy but I would like to do another bus. This one is one ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-MCI-102-EL3-/221282079401?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true and has some problems but for the right price would make a nice looking conversion. Do these models have a frame or are they unibody because I would like to put at least 2 slideouts in the next one. Now that I got one under my belt we know now what we want and need in a conversion. I would get the power train I want and a 102 wide body to begin with. The brake and suspension problems don't bother me but the ecu and engine problems would worry me. So what do you think and what would be a good price to get it for. Jason

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
Re: Would this make a good conversion project?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 08:58:07 AM »
Here's one with a couple of slides, if it helps - doesn't necessarily mean anything either way about the body structure though

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline belfert

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 03:29:12 PM »
At the least the seller seems honest in the description and wants buyers to inspect before buying.  You better have $20,000 or more on hand to get this one roadworthy.  This one could cost $40,000 or more to be roadworthy.  Could you get a good roadworthy model for similar dollars?

You should search the archives here about 1998 MCI 120EL3.  A number of warnings to stay away from that year due to wiring issues.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline HB of CJ

Used Buses For Sale May Be Like Down Town Trolley Cars...
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 04:49:39 PM »
...In years past.  You miss one...do not worry about it....there will be another along within 30 minutes.  Since you did ask, and FWIW, why is the seller asking sooss $much$ money for basically a "almost" scrap value bus?  Is there something here that I am missing?  Some help please.  I think that you can do much better why just waiting a bit and spending the time learning up more on what exact donor coach you want.  IMHO only.  HB of CJ (old coot)

Excellent answer already given and thank you.  It may cost a ton of money just to get the donor coach up to road worthy condition.  Flagging codes...smokes...suspension?  Humbly posted.  :(

Offline jmblake

• Jason & Martha Blake
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 05:10:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, I'am in no hurry to buy one just curious about putting slides in one and what one would get into getting one that needs some $ work or paying more for a more road worthy one. I got about 20 years till retirement to get it done LOL  Jason

Offline akroyaleagle

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 05:10:59 PM »
This is the only item this seller has ever listed under the current Ebay ID. He has no feedback. Might be an old converter we are all aware of.

He has not posted any info, in my opinion, except that it is as/where is.

My advice is that unless you can physically inspect this bus and the Title, you should not consider it.

I would also be leery of salt water damage, especially because of the location.
Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Offline busguy01

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 05:44:30 PM »
If you are truely interested in converting one drop me a PM. I am doing one myself and can help. Mine has had roof raised, reinforcement done, slides done but not skined.
JimH
Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Sebastian, Florida

Offline jmblake

• Jason & Martha Blake
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 05:52:46 PM »
Busguy, Do you have any pictures to share? What kind and how many slides are you doing? Iam very interested in doing one just not sure on time frame yet. Thanks Jason

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal