Author Topic: This is what I want... but the bus is in Israel  (Read 13581 times)

Offline SkellBell

• Solo looking for fulltime rig
This is what I want... but the bus is in Israel
« on: September 22, 2013, 04:29:33 PM »
http://tinyhouseswoon.com/converted-transportation-bus/

Huge windows, open floor plan, ninimalist and modern design.  If any one knows of a bus here in the States already converted please let me know.  I have two cats so I do not want carpet nor do I want to have to rip it out (unless I must).

Thanks!
Stacie

Offline wildbob24

Re: This is what I want... but the bus is in Israel
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 04:45:57 PM »
My mistake.
P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
PD4106-2546, 8V71, 4sp
Greenville, GA

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
You could use the round world atlas as a bowling ball.
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 07:04:38 PM »
Me too
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Offline Geoff

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 07:15:48 PM »
I remember years ago FF stated that when he died his kids would have to figure out a way of getting rid of his bus.  I guess he decided to try to sell it himself, but the FF electrical extention cord out the window and folding shower and interior holding tank(s)? isn't a bit hit-- now or back then.  But it has empty bays to haul garage sale items!!  It was (edit) such a "conversion" FF's wife would rent a motel room when they went somewhere in it.  Oh, but the bus is in the East Coast, closer than Israel.

--Geoff

Bob,

I don't think you are comparing apples to apples when you compare FF's bus with the MAN linked above. If FF's bus is such a great deal, why hasn't it sold? In my opinion, FF's bus is worth what an empty shell is worth, minus the cost of the labor to remove the interior. In other words, how much will he pay someone to take it. Just MY opinion, not to dissuade anyone from buying it.

Good luck, Sam
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline SkellBell

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 09:28:42 PM »
FF'S Bus would work if I wanted to do a lot of finishing work (and a real shower) on the bus.   I am still hoping to find something more "finished".  This link is to a bus builtout by the owner over the past 6 years. His price is much higher but much is done.

http://imageevent.com/reddog/1990thomasbuiltbusdogbus;jsessionid=xm4m38cqa2.eagle_s?n=0&z=3&c=4&x=1&m=24&w=0&p=0

Much thanks to all of you for taking timee to help me.

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 12:11:14 PM »
Wow Sam and Geoff, you really contributed to this thread. 

We each do things differently.  We really don't need folks like you to be the judge and jury.

Sure hope I don't get your kind of help if I decide to sell my bus. 

Another reason why I don't spend much time on the boards any more.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »
 For the average RVer, this coach would be worthless. Absolute minimum storage for any lodging purposes, all those windows would be a field day for anyone with a BB gun. No room for tankage and other needs,,, you can't get somtin for nutin.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline Geoff

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 05:31:40 PM »
What, Jim-- are you saying we should not talk bad about a bus that is
for sale to help out a potential buyer???

I have followed your Eagle engine conversion and I would not recommend anyone buying it.

I gave you the advice to keep your 6V92TA and you opted to go for a 4-stroke; and you had nothing but problems costing you so much money at several times you said you couldn't afford to keep up the repairs.

As far as I know you are still having problems with your bus, but you want everyone to keep quiet if they know someone's bus is not a good buy?  Are you ready to sell your "project"?  I wouldn't recommend it any more than FF's bus.

--Geoff

--P.S. thanks for dinner at the Caverns.
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 08:38:35 PM »
Well Geoff, if you are going to dump on me, you might want to get your facts straight.

First of all, I followed all of your good advice and had a pretty good running 6V92 until the folks doing the emission testing overheated the engine and I lost one or both heads.  I simply could not justify putting any more money in that engine, given the heavy demands of the bus due to the rather high GCVW and our mountain terrain.

I did a conversion to the Series 60 and it worked very well until I had an issue with the liners "sinking" in the block.  I got about 60K rather trouble free miles out of that engine, until the liner problem got bad.  I have been very open in saying, in print, that I made a bad decision on that engine (too many miles and was out of a truck that probably had marginal maintenance).  

I did a better job of due diligence on this engine and it has been a jewel. Plenty of power, great Jakes, perfect cruise control, etc.

I gave you the advice to keep your 6V92TA and you opted to go for a 4-stroke; and you had nothing but problems costing you so much money at several times you said you couldn't afford to keep up the repairs.

Where do you get the idea that I said I could not afford to keep up with the repairs?

Indeed, We have been enjoying the bus since I got it on the road in 2006 (with the Series 60) and have well over 70K miles and over 800 enjoyable nights in our cozy, plain Jane bus.  While we don't get to travel as much as we used to, we did enjoy our trouble free 2400 mile trip to the amazing Blytheville rally (with several other stops along the way) this year.  

In terms of expense, even with the two engines, I am still about about the same cost as a full DD 6V92 rebuild.  I am getting probably 1.5-2 MPG more and in 70K miles that really helps offset the cost.

Now to FF's bus.  It is fine to offer a potential buyer thoughts about why you judge a bus to be a bad value.  It is our duty to warn folks about a dangerous bus - but that was not your claim.  It is quite another thing to add comments about his wife staying in a motel and being so snide about someones work.

SkelBell is new to our forum and must have a great impression about our members.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 08:22:45 AM »
Jim,

I find it interesting that you accuse Geoff and me of being judge and jury about FF's bus, but don't have any hesitation in being judge and jury of us. Do you not see the hypocrisy in that? If you go back and reread my post you will notice that I said my evaluation of FF's bus was "MY OPINION", are opinions not allowed. You said nothing about Bob's OPINION about FF's bus being a good deal. I agree with Geoff that offering opinions about a bus could keep a potential buyer from making an expensive mistake.
Time for you to step down from your SELF RIGHTEOUS SOAP BOX????

Sam

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 09:43:31 AM »
OK Geoff and Sam

I was so upset that I did not really get my basic point across.  To make matters worse, some of the posts have been pulled.

Here was the basic thought on my part: 

It is the privilege of all members of this forum to make observations about buses for sale to help potential buyers make informed decisions.  My fondest wish would be that we do that in a constructive manner and do so based on facts as we know them.  I would wish that the comments would be objective. 

I remember years ago FF stated that when he died his kids would have to figure out a way of getting rid of his bus.  I guess he decided to try to sell it himself, but the FF electrical extention cord out the window and folding shower and interior holding tank(s)? isn't a bit hit-- now or back then.  But it has empty bays to haul garage sale items!!  It was (edit) such a "conversion" FF's wife would rent a motel room when they went somewhere in it.  Oh, but the bus is in the East Coast, closer than Israel.

Geoff made some observations that would help the buyer understand why he would not recommend the bus.  BUT he then went on to interject some rather personal comments including those about his wife.  That takes it to a personal level.

Quote from: Sam 4106 on September 22, 2013, 07:04:38 PM
Bob,

I don't think you are comparing apples to apples when you compare FF's bus with the MAN linked above. If FF's bus is such a great deal, why hasn't it sold? In my opinion, FF's bus is worth what an empty shell is worth, minus the cost of the labor to remove the interior. In other words, how much will he pay someone to take it. Just MY opinion, not to dissuade anyone from buying it.

Good luck, Sam

Your comments/opinion did not offer much to a potential buyer that he could get his hands around.  It really slammed the work of a member of this forum.  Maybe it is not your cup of tea, but it represents one person's attempt to build a vehicle in which he and his wife could travel in.  Your comment would paint a picture of a piece of junk that is worth less than nothing.  If I were FF, I would not be happy with your assessment - especially if you have not seen it first hand and toured it.

Several of us have been the brunt of some pretty negative and personal posts lately and I just hate that our hobby has taken that route.  FF has been the target of many "slams" over the years.  Yet, he tries to contribute to our hobby.  His marine background brings a different perspective to our hobby.  You don't have to agree with what he says.  But you could cut him some slack on his project.

Sam, if you have inspected FF's bus and feel that he needs to pay someone to haul it off, I offer a very sincere apology.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 09:54:23 AM »
Stacie, first of all, welcome to our bus world.

I really enjoyed the link you posted.

Please do not feel bad about the terrible thread drift that took place.  These "problems" have been brewing for a long time.  They have nothing to do with you.

I hope you will continue to post here as you do your research about buses for sale.  Virtually all replies to your questions will offer you opinions that can help you reach your goal.

Take your time and you will find a good value/fit for you.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 10:36:03 AM »
Stacie- I think Mr. Utah has some good points.  We are always looking for the best compromise between what we want and what is practical.  A lot depends on the type of usage you plan.  Although the panoramic windows can be great when parked on the ridge overlooking the Grand Canyon.  They would not be so good in a cramped campground, in a real cold winter, or hot summer.  So everything can be a hunt for balance.  FF's bus or similar, a GMC or MCI with completely uncovered windows could be such a compromise.  Of course, as some of the post have pointed out, FF did it his way which can be said to be very creative, but maybe a bit Spartan for many others.  That does not mean it could not be a good shell to start with.  That would depend on exactly what it is and exactly what you need to change.  I would assume the basic mechanicals are good, and he would let you know of any problems.

It is a buyers market, so if you keep looking you will probably find something close to what you want at a very reasonable price.  What the present owner has done will be greatly discounted while you will pay retail for whatever you do yourself.  Also, unless you have some romantic attachment to the idea of a manual transmission, I would only look at buses that have automatics.  If the coach you get already has one, you will get it for almost nothing more than a manual.  If you buy a manual, it could cost more than the bus is really worth to change over.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline SkellBell

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 12:29:34 PM »
No worries on what I think.  I understand folks get passionate. Btw... Do busses commomly have thier windows shot out?  My need for Windows is based on a need for natural light.  I am extremely Vit D3 deficient - lol.   I prefer an automatic but I do drive stick. My car is a 91 Honda Civic CRX Si.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal