Author Topic: Have a friend with a no start eagle  (Read 1074 times)

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
Have a friend with a no start eagle
« on: September 23, 2013, 02:19:14 PM »
Hey guys,

Not sure if its a 6v92 or an 8v92, 1985 Eagle with auto, from the pics it doesn't appear to be a DDEC. Turns the key.

Click. pretty loud click actually.   He's redone the grounds, says his batteries are good, so??? Is it time for a new starter?

He has a master switch in back that he say's he's never touched, lotsa rust. I'm leaning solenoid.

What say the guys who have actually worked on an Eagle? Any quick diagnostic tricks? I had him move the shifter back and forth in case he wasn't in neutral, no luck. It is definitely getting at least some power back to the starter as he held the phone up while someone was turning the key and it was a loud click.

RB

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Re: Have a friend with a no start eagle
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »
Tell him to smack the solenoid and starter with a rubber mallet.
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline TomC

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 02:38:27 PM »
If he can reach the starter to jump the solenoid to see if it turns over-that will be the best answer. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Online chessie4905

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 04:24:20 PM »
   Has it been sitting for a long time or only a day or two? Day or two, see if the click is coming from starter or a relay somewhere. I wouldn't try a rubber mallet, I'd wack it with a hammer on the side of the smooth part of starter case while someone holds it in the start position. Don't beat Hel@ out of it, just give it a whack or maybe two.(make sure you aren't near any moving parts) If it starts then, just drive it like normal till it quits again, then repeat. Just kidding; if it starts, you should remove starter and check over or repair. Make sure you don't have bad or weak battery/s or one with open cell, FIRST. Do some diagnostic checking with a good voltmeter.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline akroyaleagle

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 08:31:30 PM »
Start with the easy stuff first. Removing a starter is a lot of work.

Find out where the click is coming from.

Remove the battery grounds from where they are grounded to the frame, shine them
and the frame up, reattach. If that doesn't work,

Put your finger on the relay in the rear electrical box. Have someone try the starter.
If you don't feel a click the relay is bad. Jump it with a 10ga or so wire. Try it again.
You could also test input and output of the relay with a multimeter or 12v tester.
That will eliminate the most probable cause IMO.
The relay is the same as a heavy duty solenoid used on winches, snow plows and Ford diesels.
Available at any parts store.

Put one end of a jumper cable on the starter solenoid, NOT on the input stud that
is connected to the battery switch.
Make sure it is the big copper stud that goes into the starter from the solenoid.
Ignition on, connect the other end of the jumper cable to the positive post on the battery.
If it starts, the solenoid on the starter is bad.
If it doesn't, the starter is probably bad.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:34:10 PM by akroyaleagle »
Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota