Author Topic: DD3 Rebuild  (Read 1987 times)

Offline BlakeWright

DD3 Rebuild
« on: September 24, 2013, 11:21:08 AM »
I am rebuilding my DD3 brake chambers and I am not sure what grease to use around the rollers.  My old MCI manual calls for a Barium base Spec 204M grease, the Bendix data sheet calls for "Never Seez" lubricant (BW 404-M).  I don't know what the number in the bracket refers to, it doesn't appear to be a "Never Seez" number and the Bendix people didn't know.

When I took the chambers apart they appeared to have an anti-seize grease in them although it was starting to cake.  Also the seals on the main shaft were hard and broken (due to the anti-seize??).  One of the chambers was working OK, the other wouldn't release due to corrosion under the main bearing causing the bearing to tighten on the shaft (the boot on the output shaft had failed and allowed water into the chamber). 

The question is:  What is the best grease to use in the DD3's?

Offline chessie4905

Re: DD3 Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 04:04:34 PM »
   I bought barium grease for o-rings, and stainless steel never sieze from McMaster-Carr for the rollers. I think you could also use white Lubriplate.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Sam 4106

Re: DD3 Rebuild
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 05:05:08 PM »
I was told by a long time bus mechanic to use lithium grease on the DD3 rollers. I got lithium grease at NAPA, it's in a blue tube. He also said that when you grease the rollers during routine maintenance, use the grease sparingly.

Good luck, Sam
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal