Author Topic: Windshield wipers  (Read 2847 times)

Offline uemjg

• jerry
Windshield wipers
« on: September 24, 2013, 01:50:40 PM »
A few months ago i started a thread about replacing my air windshield wipers to electric on a MCI-8 and I now I can't find it.  However, some members suggested using replacements off of certain school buses and certain trucks, but were never model/year specific...and where to buy.

If you read this and can supply some information, please reply...Thanks!

Offline Emcemv

• 1973 MCI MC-7 Combo
    • Pictures
Re: Windshield wipers
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 04:01:02 PM »
I'm in the same boat.....the thread was about using the electric wipers from any flat front style school bus. Should be able to find these at a junk yard that has school buses.  I think Clifford was the one to point us in that direction so deserves the credit.

Bruce
Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »
If you can't find what you want used, here's three companies selling new parts for school buses:
http://www.schoolbuspartsco.com/WebPages/a_wiper_pages/windshieldwipers.htm
http://nationwidebusparts.com/images/20110127-wipers.pdf
http://commerce1.cera.net/tacbusparts/sections/catalog/catalog.asp?cat_id=118
I bought some wet wiper arm tubing whotsits from TAC, and their prices and shipping were good.

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline zimmysurprise

• "Flight Risk" Don and Charlie Zimmerman 1978 GM PD-4108 Chardon,Ohio
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 04:21:57 PM »
-I saw your request for suggestions on switching over from air to electric wipers but didn't respond right away because I was knee deep in swapping mine at the time and I didn't know if it would work or not. My right side air for my GM needed rebuilt, the only quote I got was 400 bucks that seemed to be better spent on a different plan. My father had a 1990 E-One fire engine that he bought for parts, so i stole the motors, hardware and switches to see if I could make them work on my 4108.
-It took me 3 hours to get the parts out of the fire truck so I wasn't too hopeful. But when I got home, I couldn't believe it. I pulled off the fiberglass cowl and held the wipers in position outside the bus. After checking the arc of the blade, I marked the windshield with a sharpie marker, then went inside the dash and measured down to where the motor shaft should be positioned. I only had to move one copper air line to make room for the new motor, and it was for the air operated control. I drilled 3 holes and installed it in 45 minutes. The bus is 24v, so I grabbed a spare 12v battery and hot wired the wiper. Worked like a charm.
-I did the same for the driver's side, but it was behind the dash so space was a little bit tight. I repeated the process, and had both motors and wiper arms installed in less time than it took me to remove the old ones. Obviously, I have some wiring to do to finish the job. I already have a 30amp 24v to12v converter that will run one, or maybe both. The firetuck wipers are 18", but I spaced them to accommodate 22" blades which will cover pretty well. I suggest solving your problem the creative way. Not sure what your MCI dash looks like but maybe start by looking there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal