Author Topic: Other than Toad Transportation  (Read 7135 times)

Offline siberyd

Other than Toad Transportation
« on: September 25, 2013, 05:43:07 PM »
Ok, so what does everyone carry for emergency teansportation in their bus other than a towed vehiclr.

I have a tow hitch but no other than auto transportation.

Siberyd
1957 PD 4104-2240 Lawn Art

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
Re: Other than Toad Transportation
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 06:57:04 PM »
Well, lets think.  You could carry a bicycle, but it wouldn't haul much.  Same with a small motorcyle.

I think that is why we haul a toad and/or have road service.  I've only broke down once, and could not have made the repairs to the bus if I didn't have my pickup in tow.
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 07:32:30 PM »
Easy!   I now keep two of my six bicycles in the bus, if only because I don't have space for them at home.   I'll eventually keep just four bikes inside when I've finished my interior, but then I'll have to decide which are the chosen ones  -  they're all hand-made custom-builds, each set up to do a specific task very well, so it will be like giving up my first-born and second-born.   I'll also make a folding trailer to tow behind any of them, large enough to hold two or three propane cylinders or a large cooler of food, and it will easily store flat in the bellybin.   (This is something I've been wanting to make for many years, since long before I got my bus.)

So, that's my un-toad.
John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 05:33:49 AM »
   We have one of these that fits in our bay with handlebars folded down. Licensed for the road. Ours is a clone,with 125cc engine, semi-auto, and electric start.

Honda CT-70 Mini Trail
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline bansil

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 06:49:35 AM »
we carry coach net and if we need a car we just rent one, cheaper for us in the long run

last trip 11 days we rented a car for four days and then further down the road we rented another for two days, they will normally pick you up also

this works for us
Doug
Mnt City TN
 Member of:

Offline lostagain

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 07:06:06 AM »
If we pull anything, it is a trailer full of dirt bikes, or street bikes.

It is so much nicer to not pull anything, mostly for going into tight spots like shopping malls, or gas stations, or looking for a parking spot.

We've never felt the need to pull a car with us. I can drive the bus pretty well anywhere (35'). It only takes a few minutes to tidy up before moving.

Having said all that, we are soon going to start going South for extended periods. I can see how we would be parked somewhere for a few days, and having a towed would be convenient to get around. I have a Suzuki Tracker that would be good for that.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline TomC

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 09:09:56 AM »
This is why, on my truck, I have a garage for a small car like a Mini or Toyota Yaris, etc. Also in the garage will be able to have bikes and Segway. I have a hitch, but will pull a boat such as a Bayliner 246/266 or maybe a Ranger Tug to explore all the inland waterways-and they're alot of them. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
Hi All, I got rid of my motorcycle trailer awhile ago, I bought a " Motorcycle Caddy", a "J" shaped jack that fits in the receiver hitch, you jack up the front wheel of the motorcycle and strap down the bike, which rides in neutral on the rear tire, but turning was a major issue, with Vans advice I abandoned using it, just seemed to lean at a dangerous angle on turns, lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 07:53:51 PM »
Ok, so what does everyone carry for emergency teansportation in their bus other than a towed vehiclr.

I have a tow hitch but no other than auto transportation.

Siberyd
Couldn't you just hitch your dogs to a sled, and have the first bus conversion with its own dog team?   Who needs a toad when you have huskies?

John

PS  -  it was good seeing you last MemDay at Paul's.   How are you doing?   We need to see one of your buses at the next BGW.
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 08:06:01 PM »
I dislike towing our Jeep and would be happy to find an alternative.  Unfortunately, we have not come up with any.  Since we like going to National Forests and the like, there are always things we want to see in the area that would be too cumbersome or impossible to take even our 35 footer.  Can you image going to a place like Death Valley and not leaving the campground?

Tom's garage is a possible approach.  If we were only going to well populated areas, the rental car thing might work.  And if we did not care about being exposed to the whims of the elements, a motorcycle or scooter might be okay.  However, for now I think we are stuck with a toad in tow. 
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Geoff

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 05:24:18 PM »
My alternative to my pick-up as a toad, I have a trailer I put my Yamaha Rhino on.  Street legal in AZ and goes 55 mph (with mods).  If I break down and need go-for it works just fine, plus it is a lot of fun to drive off road.
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline siberyd

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 11:53:18 AM »
Thanks for the ideas. My wife doesn't want a trailer or toad.

Maybe go with a small motorized vehicle in the bay or a bicycle. John the husky tow idea has worked before. Unfortunately we won't have enough huskies to pull the bus.

I have RV breakdown insurance cell phones and an aircard for my laptop.  Add a cb and ham radio. Maybe we will have it covered.

Siberyd

Offline Geoff

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 05:04:47 PM »
I have never felt my wife had enough knowledge of what was going on having a bus conversion so that is my department.  She rules the inside of the bus, I make all mechanical decisions.

--Geoff
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline siberyd

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 05:43:48 PM »
Geoff,

Won't work with mine, we both have been driving buses for 29 years. School bus, transit, paratransit, charter. She has worked from driver to state trainer.  Me from driver to general manager. Both have the general knowledge stuff down.

Siberyd

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal