Author Topic: Winter in Vermont  (Read 12446 times)

Offline 4905 doc

Re: Winter in Vermont
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 07:20:54 AM »
Tikvah, be sure you've got good winter blended diesel in the tank, or maybe even a heated fuel tank. We had a church group from NC  park up on the mountain one winter. 2 days later, when they wanted to leave, fuel had jelled. >:( We tried to tent the bus end and heat with salamander heaters, but, no luck. we ended up towing it down the mountain (no easy task... think triple axle tow truck and d-9 dozer hooked to it  :o) and taking it to the state garage where they put it indoors to thaw. took 2 days and you should have seen the white frost that covered the engine as it warmed up. Just remember, the temps are bad enough, but the wind will chill it a lot more.  :)

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 07:31:22 AM »
I remember living in the UP (Michigan's Upper Peninsula) back in the early 80s.  At the time I didn't have running water in my cabin, so I drew water from a flowing well and kept a bucket under the sink to catch the drain.  When the bucket was full I would walk outside and toss the water.

One morning, it was especially cold, I walked out (actually up because of the build-up of snow I would create steps in the snow to get on top) and tossed the water from the bucket - the water shattered when it hit the snow.  It was hard to read the thermometer, but it was someplace between -40 and -50.  

Southerners don't believe it, but you can go outside in a tee shirt at -40 and feel comfortable.  Now understand you would be dead in minutes, but comfortable just the same.   :)

We don't mind the winters, we actually enjoy the snow and bug-free weather.  Going south seems like something we HAVE to do because the bus is complicated to heat, and maybe for the first year, even a little unsure of the issues we could face.  However, we don't know where to go South.  We don't have any contacts or friends in the south beyond this group.  So, if you're in the south give me a shout.  Now when I say south I'm thinking of places like the Carolinas, or Tennessee, not Hell Fire and Brim-Stone like Texas or Florida  :P

We know we have to be in Vermont in Feburary and a short trip to Michigan in Feburary also.  We could leave the bus in the south and drive the car, but.....

Dave
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 08:49:52 AM »
Dave, Dave, Dave,.... Places like Az. NM. Tx. and Fl. may be "Hell Fire and Brim Stone" in the summer but in the winter they are very pleasant. In fact they can get snow or frost at times. Even way down in Yuma we have seen frost for a day or two, 3-4 years out of the 9 years we have spent there. Every now and then Fl. gets a freeze that damages the orange crop. My dad spent 5 years up by the arctic circle and told me how a time or two it would get to -70 and when it got to -40 they thought it was t shirt weather. ;D
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline Ralph7

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 09:22:33 AM »
          Ok! last winter I was in eastern Or. near Baker City, yes it got cold!  Near 0 and a little below, With 2 cube heaters in the bus and 1 in the water bay no freeze. BUT I had the use of a house that was kept at 45, so showers in the house, laundry in the house.
          And in Nov. of 2011 I was north of Chino Valley and on a 15 amp cord, and it snowed, that was cold. The bus is fairly insulated, no furnace.
          Pose your ??? on one of the forums Escapees, RV.net ,, or go to Hitchitch.com and look at their RV links page.   

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 09:57:44 AM »
This was last winter, but we weren't living in it yet.

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 10:13:49 AM »
He will be fine my point with no other heat but the cube heaters 15 or 20 amps is not going to cut it in Vermont and it looks like he has side windows unlike Scott which showed no windows on the sides
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 11:05:24 AM »
Well, on the upside, enough snow may be a pretty good insulation.  Like an igloo, the walls should be a toasty 32 degrees.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 12:47:18 PM »
Hi Dave, we will get down to 20 degrees in January, to us thats cold, here in LV, if you get here in November, you guys can come to Vans 2nd Dam NRG at Lake Mead RV park, when you live in LV you get more relative visiting you than you actually know! So your never lonely, lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 01:11:23 PM »
Okay, I give....
Where is LV ?
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!

Offline 4905 doc

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 01:24:10 PM »
Going out on a limb... I'd say Las Vegas ;D

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 02:38:26 PM »
Ahh... Las Vegas! 
If we were to make a list of all the places....

Interesting what we see in our minds when a place is mentioned.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 03:40:25 PM »
Dave you first need to thaw, LOL ;D

Dave5Cs
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 06:07:38 PM »
I would have the Aqua Hot double checked prior to the winter stay in Vt, of course I prefer warmer weather.  If I could handle the low temps, I would be in the Black Hills SD year round.  I spent a Thanksgiving holiday in Twin Cities, MN about 1973, lots snow, the highest temp was -15f,  I say never again.
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 06:33:25 PM »
Dave, you also mention that you don't know anybody down south other than here on the boards.  When you travel to new areas you will meet new people! It used to be that we only knew people from our home area, a few moved to other states and we kept in contact with them. From traveling and rallies we have met people from all over the US and Canada,.....it has opened up a whole new world for us.
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 06:54:08 PM »
Hi Dave, LV, LA, PHX, SD, SFO, SLC, just shorthand I guess coming from airports, Dave so many choices here in the capitol of the SW (south west), from $80 to $35 a nite, from expensive lots with casitas to impromtu mesa top boondocking overlooking a massive lake for free, lake side or poolside, wide open boondocking with no neighbors, to koa at circus circus off the Strip, 30 miles one way is a cool ponderosa forest, 30 the other is 2 lakes with great fishing. Th previous message has been brought to you by a vegas boy. Lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal