Author Topic: starter was turnig real slow and now just clicks  (Read 37342 times)

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
Re: starter was turnig real slow and now just clicks
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2013, 08:18:20 AM »
That will do it.  The bus alternator will always somewhat overcharge a battery, and it will use water, if you are running it much.  Check level monthly if you drive it daily, is in the manual somewhere.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Dlsnow

• dave
  • dave
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2013, 09:49:29 AM »
The water was actually covering the plates.  Batteries are charging and I am cleaning every connection I can find.  One was pretty rough looking on the battery.  Looks like the battery door was rubbing on it and welding the bolt to the terminal.
1972 MCI7 8v71 converted - 1kw solar on roof

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2013, 02:05:52 PM »
WalMart always has distilled water. It is quite cheap.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline Dlsnow

• dave
  • dave
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2013, 02:16:35 PM »
I was really confident after cleaning all the battery cables.  I found this one and just cut it off and put a new 4/0 lug on it.

After re-installing the batteries (each passed a 1400 CCA load test and charged at the Oreileys for a couple hours).

I still have the same result - a click coming from the relay.

So I had my wife hit the starter button in the engine bay while I smacked the solenoid on top of the starter and I heard it release (it must have been stuck forward).  Still just a click when I hit the starter so I smacked it a few more times while she was hitting the switch and it did turn for a second then nothing.

I will remove it today/tomorrow and bring it into Grand Battery to see what they think.

This walmart is like an RV campground at night.  I hope they dont ask us to leave.

Offline Jriddle

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2013, 02:59:07 PM »
Help me out. I guess I confused as to what is clicking is it the starter solenoid or the relay?
Thanks John
John Riddle
Townsend MT
1984 MC9

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2013, 03:01:42 PM »
They won't ask you to leave if you are waiting on parts ,one thing if you like Mexican Food you are in heaven in that area we  always stop at the El Tejavan or Ruby Teguila's and the Tortilla Factory on 40 is not bad some good steak houses in that area also make the most of it drive to the Canyon Sun  
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Dlsnow

• dave
  • dave
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2013, 03:15:27 PM »
It is the relay.  The solenoid sitting on top of the starter as well as the started are silent when I hit the start button. 

Thanks for the recommendations I will check one of those places out now.

Offline TexasBorderDude

• Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society
  • Nothing simple is ever easy...
    • WheresDoyle
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2013, 03:16:20 PM »

You'll be developing those MCI7 hands with Detroit Diesel tatoos.  Have wifey stay way back or you'll be out the cost of a whole month of manicures!

She must be a real keeper, 'cause even after all these trials and tribulations, she's still "in the picture".  After you get this fixed, hope everything else is smooth sailing.
A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.

Offline Dlsnow

• dave
  • dave
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2013, 03:30:07 PM »
Actually in the background is my 8 year old daughter.  She was scrubbing the ends to get those copper terminals shining.  Kids and wife are all taking it real well.  It could be worse.  Like if we were on the side of the expressway.

I'm taking them out for Mexican.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2013, 03:30:33 PM »
Doyle didn't the starter on your bus start spinning slower and slower and you thought it was the new batteries ? I forgot why we changed it out
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline TexasBorderDude

• Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society
  • Nothing simple is ever easy...
    • WheresDoyle
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2013, 03:44:12 PM »
Yeppa.  I thought engine was just tight from the rebuild, but I took the starter to Kingman and had it rebuilt.  $4.00 per pound times 65 pounds so a rebuilt for $200 with core looks like a bargain.  When I moved the bus 2 weeks ago it faltered a bit but started.  The voltage gauge showed down a bit so I topped the batteries off and we'll see if it fires up when I head to Sonnie's next week.  I'm on my 3rd Schumacher 6 amp battery topper-offer in the last 18 months.  This one is a XC6-CA
A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2013, 04:22:07 PM »
I sure hope the you realized that when cleaning those batteries and contacts you should be wearing cloths that you really want to get holes in!
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2013, 04:36:58 PM »
As I said before, if it was me, I would put a momentary on switch back there, so you can start it with nothing else in the way.

I am trying to understand your situation. It spins just fine if you jump it. When you try to start it with the switch up front, it just clicks. The click is NOT coming from the starter solenoid, but from a relay that is close to it. The solenoid on the starter itself, does not click or do anything. Just is silent. Am I correct so far?

If that is the case, I am doubting that the starter is the problem. Could it be your start relay (if there is such a thing)? I am thinking that something is happening before your starter.

Here is what I would do, in your situation. I would go back to OReilly's and get a push button heavy duty switch. The kind that you push in, and it is on, let off, and it is off. Then wire that up from your voltage in, to your solenoid on the starter. Basically, you are putting a start switch right back in the engine compartment, cutting everything else out of the loop (except for the starter solenoid, of course). When you have that in place, turn the master switch on, then go to the back and hit your switch. If you installed it correctly, I am thinking that will start your bus. It completely avoids your other relay that is clicking, and you start it "manually".

Methinks, if your starter isn't the issue (and this will rule it in or out), that will get you on the road. Does my post make sense? It is at least another troubleshooting step for you, and the switch will be there for the future. Something just isn't adding up here, and this might help.

I know exactly what you are going through, and I feel for you. Clifford knows, last time our bus wouldn't start, we were in Boise. It wouldn't turn over, it wouldn't click. NOTHING. I thought no problem, and went back to my trust switch I had installed next to the starter, and hit it. The starter spun alright, but the bus wouldn't start. Long story short, we found our fuse for the transmission computer was blown. That wouldn't allow the bus to do anything, if it didn't hear from the transmission.

Anyways, does the push button make sense? If not, let me know, and I can explain in more detail.

Cheers,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline Jriddle

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »
I would double check the ground on the fuel pressure switch. I believe Clifford mentioned this earlier. I had the click thing one time and found the ground for the fuel switch bad. I ran a wire as shown in picture and my clicking problem went away.  :D

John
John Riddle
Townsend MT
1984 MC9

Offline Dlsnow

• dave
  • dave
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2013, 11:32:45 PM »
Thanks for helping everyone. 

A quick recap for all

The procedure...
Bus is on
Engine switch is set to run
master switch is on
Buzzer for low air pressure is going
I go to back of bus to the engine bay
I press the rear start button and hear a click coming from the electrical panel (I have isolated the relay there)
No sound or anything from the starter or starter solenoid

What I have done so far
used a voltmeter to verify voltage (at starter, on relay)
Verified that when the rear start button is pressed the solenoid does pass voltage through to the starter terminal
Turned the engine with a big wrench to make sure it turns (it does)
I have verified the ground on the starter goes directly to the frame not to the fuel pressure switch
I have cleaned all electrical connections at the batteries and at the starter/solenoid

I have not applied a 24v power source directly to the starter or solenoid

Tomorrow I am going to see if I can find the relay in the book and see if that is the issue. 

Thanks for the support.  You guys are awesome.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal