Author Topic: Help Need somebody to look at coach in Benson, AZ  (Read 13343 times)

Offline Danr

Re: Help Need somebody to look at coach in Benson, AZ
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 01:54:13 PM »
So the lady with the bus says the batteries are dead. 

I can bring my batts up there to try to start it I have 2x 8D's in my MCI.  Is it 12 or 24 and will my 8D (1400 CCA) be enough?

Here is the kicker - I have never started, driven or even seen anything but an MCI 7, 9, 5...

Please tell me they are similar to startup.

I will take lots of pictures

I don' no if they are similar or not hope one of the guys will jump in and help out. and tell us what you need to do.

Danr

Offline B_K

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 03:00:32 PM »
Danr,
Lots of good people offering to help on this.
And I know it's difficult for you and the lady selling the bus to answer most of the questions about the bus.
But really to get you the correct information you need to make your decisions on we need to find a way to help the seller help us.

Now that said I can't tell you where to have her look for VIN at on many buses as I just have not had to look for them myself. (but I know others here can tell you!)

Older MCI's had info plates with the VIN and other important info directly over the drivers head above the window. (and I know older Setra's did too!)
Then in the 80's MCI started putting it in the stairwell on the left as you step in the coach.
Setra and even some newer MCI's now put them in the corner beside/behind the drivers seat.
I know I have seen a few GM's with a little tag riveted to the front of the dash on the right as you step in the coach.

These are the "simple" places to ask her to look. (there are other places on the chassis that are not so easy for the average person to find)

Also I know you said she had no way to take pictures. Is there anyway possible she or a friend could take pics with a cell phone and send them to you in a "text msg" (we do this all the time between my family and our driver to send pics when internet is not available)
Then you can either download the pics out of yer phone to a computer or email them to yerself an share them.

A few pictures (front, side, rear) will answer a lot of questions (not all, but many!)

Other than that you might see if she can have some one fax you a copy of the title so you can verify the info from it.
;D  BK  ;D

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2013, 03:28:04 PM »
   Very easy to get coach serial number. Just open outside door below driver's seat and read the number on the frame. Look straight in. You can't miss it. Good sized letters and numbers. Use a flashlight. There is a lever slightly protruding from bottom of bumperette on that door. Move it to the rear and open door. Hinges may be a little stiff but sturdy.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Danr

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »
Danr,
Lots of good people offering to help on this.
And I know it's difficult for you and the lady selling the bus to answer most of the questions about the bus.
But really to get you the correct information you need to make your decisions on we need to find a way to help the seller help us.

Now that said I can't tell you where to have her look for VIN at on many buses as I just have not had to look for them myself. (but I know others here can tell you!)

Older MCI's had info plates with the VIN and other important info directly over the drivers head above the window. (and I know older Setra's did too!)
Then in the 80's MCI started putting it in the stairwell on the left as you step in the coach.
Setra and even some newer MCI's now put them in the corner beside/behind the drivers seat.
I know I have seen a few GM's with a little tag riveted to the front of the dash on the right as you step in the coach.

These are the "simple" places to ask her to look. (there are other places on the chassis that are not so easy for the average person to find)

Also I know you said she had no way to take pictures. Is there anyway possible she or a friend could take pics with a cell phone and send them to you in a "text msg" (we do this all the time between my family and our driver to send pics when internet is not available)
Then you can either download the pics out of yer phone to a computer or email them to yerself an share them.

A few pictures (front, side, rear) will answer a lot of questions (not all, but many!)

Other than that you might see if she can have some one fax you a copy of the title so you can verify the info from it.
;D  BK  ;D

All that you suggest has all ready been ask. we are working on it her phone does not have a camera and she is computer challenged
I have Dave here that said he would god and take a look at it Fri or Sat for me and take lots of pictures.

Thanks
Danr

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 04:12:28 PM »
 Danr,, The Red Rider (AKA Mikey) and I will be in Benson probably in the middle of the week to pick up an 06 transmission, we are both GM guys and I have some MCI & Eaglet experience, we will be leaving Cedar City, Ut. Monday or Tuesday and drive straight thru 623 miles one way. ( One day down & one day back) We are both retired and have time to give that coach a good look see, fuel is going to be about $175.00 round trip so a little donation to the fund  would buy you two pair of eyes and some pictures.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline B_K

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 04:45:57 PM »
Dan that is just too cool that you an Mikey are going exactly where Danr needs someone to look a bus over for him!

Danr it don't get much better than this! AND MIKEY and DAN both know their GM's and can at least tell you what kinda bus it is if it's not a GM!

Huh ... who'd thunk it? Don't usually work out that smooth for me!

Shoot just wire Mikey & Dan $4000 and they can not only have a looksie for you but buy it, and drive home to you!  ;) (OR AT LEAST TO CEDAR CITY!)
;D  BK  ;D

Offline Danr

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2013, 05:04:46 PM »
Danr,, The Red Rider (AKA Mikey) and I will be in Benson probably in the middle of the week to pick up an 06 transmission, we are both GM guys and I have some MCI & Eaglet experience, we will be leaving Cedar City, Ut. Monday or Tuesday and drive straight thru 623 miles one way. ( One day down & one day back) We are both retired and have time to give that coach a good look see, fuel is going to be about $175.00 round trip so a little donation to the fund  would buy you two pair of eyes and some pictures.>>>Dan
Thanks for the offer dlsnow (Dave) is going to look at it on Fri or Sat if I need more eyes on it will let you no before you leave on Monday. I do not mind helping with the cost of fuel to have you look at it for me.

Thanks
Danr

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2013, 05:06:29 PM »
 BK, It gets better than that, we have to drive thru his back yard to get there and back!!>>>Dan         
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2013, 05:19:18 PM »
 Danr,  If this lady is selling this coach she has to have a title, that title will have the make, model, year, and serial number on it. It doesn't take an ITT graduate to look at the title for basic info.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2013, 07:19:03 PM »
 As an aside,, I got to wondering if my wife could sell my coach with knowledgeable info with out my help. I listed pertinant questions for her to answer, year, type, length, width, engine size, trans make & speeds, age of tires, odo miles, average mileage, where are manuals & service info is kept, legal paperwork and files, and sale value....  Yo mama, she hit all questions correctly, soooo... I guess I can die anytime now.>>>Dan ::)
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2013, 07:28:55 PM »
Good point Dan I had two Eagle owner friends that passed away and I saw what pressure that puts on a wife so I sold my beloved Eagle so she never had to face trying to sell the bus
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Danr

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2013, 12:57:46 PM »
Well Guys the gal sent me a picture of the bus in Benson ,AZ today and it is not what I want it looks like a transit bus here link to it.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/rvs/4127042493.html just in case there is somebody here might be. So it is back to the hunt for me.

Thanks to everybody that offered to help and go and check it out.

The Vin # is DFTA5019F2732R not EFTA

Danr

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2013, 01:35:48 PM »
That is a GMC Superior school bus 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2013, 01:38:35 PM »
Looks similar to the GMC Superior Super Cruiser that I once had.  They were mainly a school bus company but made ones like this for team buses, the military, etc.  It is their version of the road coach.  Very solid.  As I understand it, they had a huge former tank factory and dip galvanized the entire body-- great for rust prevention but not good for painting unless you knew what you were doing.  It would be built on a truck chassis, have heavy leaf spring suspension and good clearance underneath.  Determining the engine could be important.  A lot of them had GM Toroflows, which did not have the best reputation.  Mine, however, was trouble-free and dependable while we had it, ran 60 mph tops at around 3000 rpm, had a real stump puller of a rear end that could probably go up a vertical wall if you could make the tires stick, and consistently got over 10 mpg.  The MC5a definitely has more class but the Superior was much less formidable on maintenance.

The bays on mine were 2' high by 4'. The ones on this look shorter in the picture though.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline TexasBorderDude

• Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society
  • Nothing simple is ever easy...
    • WheresDoyle
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2013, 01:47:55 PM »
Hi all am looking for somebody in the Benson AZ area to go and look at a GMC coach for me.... The lady that has it does not know what the model is or to much about it.

Interesting all the drama... it was posted on Craigslist 2013-10-13, 10:38AM MST  but I guess she didn't want you to know that.  Naw, she's probably some nice old widow lady and her grandson put it on Craigslist and didn't tell her til now.
A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal