Author Topic: Super single driver wheels  (Read 18252 times)

Offline CrabbyMilton

Super single driver wheels
« on: October 28, 2013, 09:36:27 AM »
Hello. I just go back from a 6 day motorcoach trip from Milwaukee thru Maryland and W. Virginia and back. I had a nice time even though the weather was not always the greatest. Our bus was a 2013 PREVOST H3-45 with only about 34k on the odometer. That VOLVO engine had no problem going over the often steep grades. It was also nice to have an ALLISON transmission this time so no slow jerky acceleration that comes from an automated manual. The bus also had the super single wheels. The driver wasn't sure but my question is can this bus be switched back to duals? He thought that the axle may or may not be set up for anything other than what is there.

Offline HB of CJ

Super Single Rear Axle May Be Too Wide For Duels
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 01:15:50 PM »
I believe this to be true...some help here please.  Think the super single rear axles are several inches wider to mate up with the single very wide wheels.  I think a conventional rear axle MAY be convertable to super singles, but not the other way around. 

I was going to consider super single drivers on the cancelled Crown Supercoach conversion plans, but found that any conversion kit placed stress on the rear axles, bearings and drums.  Possibly you are stuck with what you have...super singles.  HB of CJ (old coot)

Offline luvrbus

Re: Super single driver wheels
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 02:22:33 PM »
Super singles are hub pilot there is no difference in the axle on Prevost with hub center wheels that I know of they run a combination of tires like the 365's on the tag and front with the super single or dual 315's on the drive

Prevost wants  the 365's on the front and tag when running the super single package some trucks are having wheel bearing problems on the drive axle running the super single my buddy at Volvo in Phoenix told me he is not much on the super single except on trailers
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline TomC

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 09:17:57 AM »
The original idea behind super singles was to be able to switch between singles and duals without modification. Many truck manufacturers found that running the 2" outset super single wheels put too much stress on the outer wheel bearings causing premature bearing failure. To combat this, the axle manufacturers came out with dual trac axles that will put the super singles at 96" wide with 0 offset wheels, but at 102" wide with tandems.
My guess is the bus has 2" outset wheels which means you can just switch to normal dual tires. Super Singles have been proven to have a reduced flat rate down 15% compared to duals since super singles are 20ply and duals are 14ply (typically). Personally-If I were running a big rig with my own trailer, I'd run super singles and carry a mounted spare. On my bus-always duals. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
Re: Super Single Rear Axle May Be Too Wide For Duels
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 09:27:50 AM »
I was going to consider super single drivers on the cancelled Crown Supercoach conversion plans, but found that any conversion kit placed stress on the rear axles, bearings and drums. 

HB -

While you were considering super singles for your Crown, somebody went ahead and did it!
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 10:04:31 AM »
Interesting - for the first time ever I saw a semi tractor with super singles on the drive axles, on my drive to Ontario last week.  I only saw them on trailers before.  Today I saw a trailer with super singles with a flat, getting a new tire installed on the side of the road.  Tire truck had two tires in the back, about took up the whole bed and hung out the sides...    ;D

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Jon

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 10:07:50 AM »
According to Robert Hitt of Prevost if you order a coach with super singles you cannot change back to duals unless you also change the rear end. The rear ends are a different width.
Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN

Offline lostagain

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 11:53:49 AM »
While super singles are rare in the US, and rarer in Canada, they are ubiquitous on trucks and buses in Europe, at least in France 5 years ago when I was there last. Is it simply a North American resistance to change, or is there more to it that that?

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline opus

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 12:07:25 PM »
Super singles......snow....hmmmm...
1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 12:43:21 PM »
 The new stuff must use the rear axle made for the super singles TomC was talking about, I had a H-41 that had super singles on the rear and 365's on the tag and front axles it wasn't a problem to change back to 315's  

RJ fwiw the tires on the Crown look to be 415/50 x 22.5 not a super single several Eagles running around with the 415/50 setup  

Prevost install those on our 97 trying to keep the new IFS suspension under the thing it didn't work lol I call those concrete truck tires they ride and drive like crap  

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 12:56:08 PM »
While super singles are rare in the US, and rarer in Canada, they are ubiquitous on trucks and buses in Europe, at least in France 5 years ago when I was there last. Is it simply a North American resistance to change, or is there more to it that that?

JC

This is only a guess but it may be because super singles are required for rear wheel steering to work, which most (or at least very many) buses and truck trailers here have. And of course fuel economy has been much more of a concern for much longer too.

Besides, single rear wheels just look so much better

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 01:20:56 PM »
They do look good but I can tell you first handed they are not good on a frame less 51 ft dump trailer I lost a brand new Mate aluminum trailer the first trip out when the front axle cleared the ground dumping over it came

I don't think Mate ever tried the super single again on their trailers   

Offline HB of CJ

RJ: Nothing New Under The Sun!
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 03:27:13 PM »
Or...everything has already been done before and everything will be done over again.  Thank you!  I also like the way that Crown Supercoach owner offset the roof A/C units to increase that low 75" of head room.  Last I was told, there is/was some auto glass outfit in central CA that makes/sales curved Crown Supercoach replacement windshields.  Too bad I threw all that contact info away.  DARN!!  I hate getting old!  HB of CJ (old coot) :) :) :)  Crowns Forever!! (haven't keyboarded that in quite awhile either!) :) :) :)

Offline Larry B

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »
This really has nothing to do with super singles but when I look at the picture of the bus wilh those ac units on the curve of the roof, will they work effectively on that much of an angle? It has been a couple of years since I installed my ac units. It seems to me they had to be within 5 degress of level, (both ways). Has my memory failed me again?
        Larry B
1977 MCI-5B---
8V71- 4speed man

Offline thomasinnv

• Derrick Thomas
  • I may be nuts, but only for buses
Re: Re: Re: Super single driver wheels
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 06:42:09 PM »
This really has nothing to do with super singles but when I look at the picture of the bus wilh those ac units on the curve of the roof, will they work effectively on that much of an angle? It has been a couple of years since I installed my ac units. It seems to me they had to be within 5 degress of level, (both ways). Has my memory failed me again?
        Larry B

When I put mine in three years ago the book said 15 degrees either direction was acceptable.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Some are called, some are sent, some just got up and went.

1998 MCI 102-DL3
Series 60 12.7/Alison B500
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal