Author Topic: Bus Break-Ins  (Read 12020 times)

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
Re: Bus Break-Ins
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 03:12:12 PM »
Does or has anyone put locks on their back engine room doors and 2 side read engine doors. If so what kind. I was thinking maybe a hasp type with hidden screws or ?

Dave5Cs
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline belfert

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 03:21:53 PM »
I have key locks from the factory on my engine area rear and side doors, but why lock them unless you are worried about vandalism perhaps?  What would someone steal back there?  I suppose copper pipes if your coach has copper.  I don't even have keys to the side locks, but I do for the rear lock.

I do recall that Kyle lost a lot of metal that was sold for scrap, but I don't know if what was stolen was attached to a bus or not.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 03:25:56 PM »
I got my 4 6 Volt deep cycle Bats on a rack just to the right of the motor in the corner plus vanner some copper tubing and big battery copper wire.

Dave5Cs
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline 1willwander

• 1willwander
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 05:47:57 PM »
It amazes me how little theft occurs in relation the the value of some of the stuff in a motor home.  A satellite dish can cost 2k.  I have had some problems but they have been minor. My tow vehicle has been broken into a couple of time.  But when I lived in a house, my car was stolen three time.  I feel safer in a motor home.  If I don't like what is around me I can leave.  Bear spray can shoot a stream 30 feet.  That will reach your front door.  Just saying.
1960 PD4104 currently in Las Vegas

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 06:19:19 PM »
No one ever broke into my old bus, but they did break into my house.  After careful consideration, I decided to NOT call the cops ... the thieves were charging less than my wife on the credit cards, and I figured I was ahead of the game.

BCO-CTA

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2013, 06:42:49 PM »
Bear spray can shoot a stream 30 feet.  That will reach your front door.  Just saying.

You had better have fresh air respirators ready to go, if you activate bear spray in your bus. Otherwise, you will be out the back window, quicker then the bad guy is out the front.

We have yet to be broken into. I hope it stays that way. Graffiti could be more of an issue, but still haven't had any problems.

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 06:47:53 PM »
We had a problem in DC they didn't get into the coach but stole stuff out of the bays and the hub cap lug nuts ,we never knew if it was the street people or politicians there

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 07:16:51 PM »
We had a problem in DC they didn't get into the coach but stole stuff out of the bays and the hub cap lug nuts ,we never knew if it was the street people or politicians there

good luck

It couldn't have been street people. They have some ethics and won't steal what they can't use of sell. Politicians not so much.
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Jerry32

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 07:45:17 PM »
I have had the gas stolen out of my toad while parked overnight in searchlite but that is about it. I Did have and aircraft broken into and the eelectronics stolen on beech baron. Jerry
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2013, 04:33:26 AM »
Sean, we've wondered this ourselves. In nearly three years of full timing we've never had an issue. Remember where we were parked in Orlando? Our door latch failed while we were gone for 10 days and the door was open to the breeze that entire time. Not even so much as a squirrel came in our bus. Our windows are too small for someone to climb through and besides, they are 11 feet off the ground. We lock our luggage bays when we are gone and deadbolt the door. Closing the front curtain and leaving a couple interior lights on keeps people wondering. And, you and Angie know what kind of iron we're packing...and you've even seen it in action ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Clumsy fingers may contribute to mistakes.
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2013, 01:08:41 PM »
I think 5 years we've been full time, and no issues (knocking on wood).  a couple of those years, we put a fair number of miles on, and stayed in a lot of types of places.  We keep the bus deadbolted, even at night, and all bays locked.  we don't lock the windows, but they'd be a little hard to get into.  We are out in the country alone now at our "campground" (heading S to warmth soon), but i think the farmer across the street has a shotgun, and the electric co provides a nice free light on corner of our lot. 
We stay at Walmarts and truck stops while on our way.  We try to stay in the light, as others said.  we leave a light on, or a tv, when we leave.  the flicker makes them wonder if someone is watching it. If someone tried to break in while we were home, it would not go well for them.  We're not fans of waiting for the cops for rescue.

Sean, we'll be in Florida by Dec. message me on FB or send an email if you still want to meet up.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal