Author Topic: Commencement of Full-Time  (Read 12025 times)

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
Commencement of Full-Time
« on: October 30, 2013, 07:07:22 AM »
There comes a time in every life, every journey where you feel like you can draw a line and say, my journey started here.  High school or college graduation is called “commencement” because this is the point where real life begins.  Does life begin after graduation? Or, does it start with that first new job?  Or, how about when you first move from your parents home into your own apartment?  Maybe life started long before graduation; it started your freshman year with new schedules, new responsibilities, new friends.  Although the starting point is vague, we tend to recognize that on one specific day, something changed.  A long awaited day has arrived, and after this day, everything changes.  The tassel moves from one side to the other and now my life is my own.

Today, was a kind of commencement.  Today is the day we have waited for and yet the day we feared.  When did the journey begin?  I guess that's a bit vague.  But today, it really began.  We started our bus and headed south to escape the cold.  It's been frustratingly cold and wet for many weeks when our desire was to get work done on the bus.  We're not ready.  We're not prepared.  But we have to go.  As we crossed the line from Michigan into Ohio on US-23 Amy and I were overtaken with the realization that we have “commenced”. 

Where do we go from here?  We're as lost as a couple kids just out of high school.  We don't know where the road might lead.  We have excitement, anticipation, and fear.  For three years we've wanted to build this bus and experience the freedom of living wherever the bus is parked.  For three years we invested too much money and too much time into big this rig, only to have problems that cost even more when we started moving.  Five months ago, we took a step to drive the bus to Muskegon to have a place to live while I worked.  Amy and I have both struggled with the words, “this has been the worst summer of our lives”.  Why?  Many reasons I suppose, some of them valid, some just emotional.    We weren’t ready.  The bus wasn't ready.  A week before I accepted the job, we still did not have running water in the bus, or electrical of any kind, or even a place to sit.  We worked our butts off getting the toilet and shower to work and set up some make-shift furniture, but those projects just proved all the more that we really we're not ready.  We drove to Muskegon, stayed at a run-down, over-grown campground and I went to work.  Amy worked at cleaning up the campground in trade for our stay and I worked at my job in a dark, filthy, factory in the heart of a dark, filthy city.  The owner was a good man, but nothing could have been worse.  We were separated as a couple for the first time in years by work.  The money was ridiculously low, and the financial reward non-existent.   But, Muskegon was, indeed, a stepping stone.  It forced us to test drive the bus life.  We found, even without the basics, that we enjoyed living in the bus. 

Money continued to be tight, so we sold the house.  That sale was nothing short of a miracle.  That's a story of it's own.  We sold.  We sold everything we owned.  The house, all the furniture, all our belongings, all our tools, every picture, plate, and broom.  It was all gone.  Not a profitable sale, but a sale that brought freedom. 

I left the job in Muskegon, the weather was turning cold, and we had much work to do on the bus before we could hit the road.  We left with no real heat other than portable electric heaters.  No real power inverter system and no real bus furniture.  We needed time before we commenced this life on the road to get the bus ready.  So, we headed to Grayling where my dad has a shop, tools, internet, and everything we would need while we work for a few weeks.  And it rained.  It rained, and it rained.  Cold, damp, constant rain.  Not one productive day – not one!  We decided to make one last visit to Cheboygan, get a few things moved around and say goodby to old friends.  And it rained.  It rained, and it rained.  Cold, damp, constant rain.  Not one productive day – not one!

Today we left Michigan!  Today was commencement!  Today the umbilical cord was cut.  We crossed into Ohio with the realization that today we are living in freedom.  Freedom from debt, freedom to go anywhere and do anything we wish.  Today our only home is the bus.  There is no turning back.  Today it begins. 

Where do we go now?  That is a question that I can't answer.  We have some thoughts, some ideas, but no real plans.  We actually plan to leave the bus with someone we met on the bus forum in Pennsylvania for a week or so while we visit Brian, Crystal and Ben.  He's so cute!   Then, we plan to return to the bus and head – south – we think.   But, we will go where the road takes us.

A foundation in our lives for the last five yeas has been to learn to trust the Lord.   That learning process has cost us our home, our business, our friends, and our identity.  The price is greater than I would have ever imagined.  It is greater than I thought possible.  And yet, the price is insignificant.  It's a price I've accepted, and I'm willing to pay.  In reality, the price is nothing.  It's a free gift that very few are willing to touch.  We have determined in our hearts to take the gift of trust and see where He leads us.  There is no doubt in our minds that He will lead us down paths that defy imagination.  But, this is what we signed up for.  Today is commencement!  Today it begins!

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline TexasBorderDude

• Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society
  • Nothing simple is ever easy...
    • WheresDoyle
Re: Commencement of Full-Time
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 07:25:26 AM »
Dave, congratulations and best wishes to both you and Amy.  You have found out, or soon will, that you don't own things, they own you.  Your outlook and faith will serve you well.  Enjoy every moment and do the things that will make a difference 100 years from now.  There aren't many that meet that criteria, but you will find the things that do.

God Speed!
A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.

Offline wagwar

• Mighty Bus Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 08:26:49 AM »
Thanks for sharing! Please keep us posted on your adventures. We hope to soon follow in your path - full timing commencing in 2014. We still have to sell the brick and mortar, stuff, etc. We also have the same heady mix of emotions: fear, uncertainty, doubt, exhilaration, excitement, faith and hope.

www.mightybus.wordpress.com

Jim and Wendy

Offline Boomer

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 08:40:09 AM »
The best of luck to you and your family.  What a story.  You might consider Arizona for the winter months.  Perhaps campground hosting?  You could work on your bus in perfect weather with little chance of rain and there are lots of places to pick up RV furnishings and supplies.
'81 Eagle 15/45, NO MORE
'47 GM PD3751-438, NO MORE
'65 Crown Atomic, NO MORE
'48 Kenworth W-1 highway coach, NO MORE
'93 Vogue IV, NO MORE
1964 PD4106-2846
Vancouver, WA USA

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 08:55:28 AM »
   Yeah, best of luck!  The Management has been reading the story of a woman who got rid of everything but clothes to take her between washing machine loads, one chair, one table, one plate, one fork, one spoon, one knife.  If she invites you to dinner, you bring your own plate, knife and fork.  This has really impressed The Management and she's "thinning things out".  When she retires (@ 60 - yeah, I gotta child bride) in five years, she'll be ready for bus living.
   As other people have said, it's liberating to get away from things.  And, if you do it right so that you don't have to do it again, the day after you're finished with your bus work (yeah, I can hear 200 people laughing down the InnerWeb wires right now), it's behind you.
   Best wishes with your journey and "your journey"! 
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 09:20:02 AM »
Hi Dave, what a wonderful narrative, heartfelt and we can all identify, on both sides of retirement, lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline challenger440

• Mountainstar video Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 12:50:24 PM »
Congratulations to both of you.  A very thoughtful story indeed.   Happy Trails.  John M
John M.
Helena, Mt
MC7  "under construction"

Offline bansil

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 12:50:44 PM »
Great read! good luck and God speed...enjoy your travels and each other...post adventures from time to time
Doug
Mnt City TN
 Member of:

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 03:47:59 PM »
Dave & Amy -

Great story, great theme, great adventure ahead!

You might consider attending the big rally in Arcadia, FL over New Year's.  Bill & Brenda have taken over what Jack & Paula started, and are doing a wonderful job.  Lots of fellow busnuts to meet, visit and swap stories with - not to mention getting ideas for your own rig.  Several board members from this and BNO show up, you can put names to faces.

Till then. . . Keep heading south, keep it under 300 miles a day, take the little blue highways and enjoy the journey!

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »
Everyone... Thanks so much for all the encouraging words.  The day has been successful.  One of our members has allowed us to leave the bus in his drive while we visit family in Vermont.  He offered without meeting us in person... very kind and generous!   Thank You Jason!!!

RJ, I like the little blue roads... until this afternoon getting to Jason's house  ;D
With all the hills, I realized I was leading a parade, then we had to do a little switch-back turn and this 40 footer with car and dolly couldn't make it.  Ever try to back up a car and dolly?  LOL

I'm a little apprehensive about the trip south from here through the mountains.  My 6V92 towing my Impala is under-powered and really slow on the hills.  What happens after first gear won't go anymore?  So far it's cool enough outside that the engine is running cool.  but once we get to Virginia those hills get even bigger.  I might need a push.

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park

Offline TheHollands!

• thehollands!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 04:28:32 PM »
Dave, great to hear you heading out. Don't rush those hills, evryone behind you can wait. I have the same setup as you and we just take our time, Bus does great. Look forward to hearing about your adventures. Craig
The Hollands!
1984 MCI-9
www.tillersandtravelers.wordpress.com
Musical Nomads

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »
I often wonder if my Turbo is working.  I don't hear it and it just seems really slow.  Would the bus run if the turbo didn't work?
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!

Offline bansil

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 04:35:28 PM »
I wonder the same questions everytime I leave home....mnts up and then down....1st gear from N.wilkesborro to boone.....I could never head far,far west....
Va don't have no mnts :D unless they head into other states....NE TN here if you need anything from here to Boone...let us know...we live on the "non colored" roads off the blue ones  ;D ....
Doug
Mnt City TN
 Member of:

Offline TexasBorderDude

• Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society
  • Nothing simple is ever easy...
    • WheresDoyle
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 05:06:46 PM »
What happens after first gear won't go anymore? 

Don't worry.  I pulled a 14% grade in my 8V71 N pulling a 35 ft. trailer, just under 50,000 lbs.  I didn't have full throttle, an air filter needing a change, but ran 1900 rpm with no engine heat.  Would have pulled that all day.  Oh, did I mention 4 mph?  Just take your time, and watch those rpm's and the scenery!
A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 05:12:24 PM »
Dave, If it looks like a stall have Amy follow you in the car until you get to a downhill. I have a 6V-71 and will pull a Buick Century, it will be slow but steady.
Congrats to you two and have a fun time.

Dave5Cs
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal