Author Topic: Commencement of Full-Time  (Read 12055 times)

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
Re: Commencement of Full-Time
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 05:17:36 PM »
Dave,

Glad you all are finally rolling. Good for you.

I totally hear you about the back roads. We take highways whenever possible, just because you have room.

Have fun, and take it slow. Buses are not the fastest vehicles. We feel slow sometimes, and that is with our setup.

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline jmblake

• Jason & Martha Blake
    • Creative Custom Cabinetry
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 06:10:24 PM »
Dave & Amy, Me and Martha wish the both of you the best of luck on your adventure. I would love to do the same thing sometime in my life if I can talk Martha into it LOL. We will have to get together when you come back and do some more bus chatting before you pull out. Have fun in Vermont and don't worry about the bus we are in a safe neighborhood. Jason

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 09:22:28 PM »
I'm a little apprehensive about the trip south from here through the mountains.  My 6V92 towing my Impala is under-powered and really slow on the hills.  What happens after first gear won't go anymore?  So far it's cool enough outside that the engine is running cool.  but once we get to Virginia those hills get even bigger.  I might need a push.

Dave -

Those hills in VA are speed bumps compared to what we've got out here on the West Coast!  From where I live, I've got to climb 6% grades to go anywhere out of this valley!

If you're concerned about the power output of your 6V92, I suggest you detour thru Luke's shop in NJ, or Joel's Choo-Choo Garage in Chattanooga, TN and have it checked out.

In the meantime, when climbing grades, downshift the automatic MANUALLY!  Don't let the Allison shift by itself, or you'll get no performance out of the coach at all.  Try to keep the revs between 1800 - 2000 on a partial throttle, that's where the Detroit's happiest when pulling.  Reading this might help - automatics are covered at the end:

http://busnut.com/forum/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=41

One last thing:  Remember Aesop's Fable of "The Tortoise and The Hare?"  Well, you're now driving a Tortoise, and if you try to drive it like a Hare, you'll be terribly disappointed.  So enjoy the journey - you've earned it!

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 09:50:33 PM »
Fjord Tortoise ?
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 02:39:09 AM »
Surprisingly, we've recently counted and I think we are on year 5 since we went full time, 4 since we sold the house.  No real regrets.  you should have told us you were coming to Ohio.  We have a minimal campground of sorts, parking lot with water, sewer and electric near a creek and acres of corn and soybeans.  And not too far from where you came thru if you went down 23 then caught the turnpike towards Vermont.

Hopefully, all will go well on your trip south. Watch the gauges, pay attention to the bad drivers in front of you and take it easy.  Go to the Bus Rally in Arcadia.  It will be an excellent experience, you'll meet many great busnuts, and make great and knowledgeable friends.  And we'll be there, God willing.

We leave in about 2 weeks.  my foot is already itching, and it's cold/wet here.  We'll go down i65 this year, but eventually, we'll make it to Arcadia by Dec sometime.  Lots of friends to visit going down.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline Bill 340

• rvwindshieldcovers.com
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 05:04:40 PM »
I know I will hear some flack on this  BUT, I have seen a tow car helping push a 4105 up a mountain,  Myself  My tow pushed my eagle 2 mi to a garage when I lost a drive shaft,  tow bar will hold, drive with care,  maybe see you both in Arcadia,   arcadiarally.com   Bill
Bill & Brenda Phelan
Lakeland florida..........Host of the ARCADIA RALLY

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 05:56:33 PM »
Bill,
Your not alone, I know of a bus company that uses a HD Ford Diesel pickup auto trans, to push their buses home when not too far out, they use an air compressor in the pickup bed for brakes and a William air throttle connected the the air throttle on the DDC. Not real quick but it gets the job done.  ;D
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
Re: Re: Commencement of Full-Time
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 10:49:20 AM »
Dave & Amy

Glad you made the jump!  We too are into our first 4 months of fulltiming.  It is only by Gods grace that we have been able to pull this off.  And it gets better every month.  There are still challenges but the rewards are amazing. 

Looking forward to meeting you both.  Let us know when you are headed south.  We plan to be tooling around the southern states and at Arcadia on the 26th.

We have a 6v92 Turbo and we pull a 8000lb van.  We have made it through the hills of west VA up to Boone with no issues.  Very slow at times but you just gotta through your hazards on and enjoy the ride.  Keep your RPMs up and watch your temps.

Keep it going and God bless you both!  Will be praying for you.

-Sean

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

Offline LowTide

Re: Re: Commencement of Full-Time
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 02:53:35 PM »
Dave & Amy

Glad you made the jump!  We too are into our first 4 months of fulltiming.  It is only by Gods grace that we have been able to pull this off.  And it gets better every month.  There are still challenges but the rewards are amazing. 

Looking forward to meeting you both.  Let us know when you are headed south.  We plan to be tooling around the southern states and at Arcadia on the 26th.

We have a 6v92 Turbo and we pull a 8000lb van.  We have made it through the hills of west VA up to Boone with no issues.  Very slow at times but you just gotta through your hazards on and enjoy the ride.  Keep your RPMs up and watch your temps.

Keep it going and God bless you both!  Will be praying for you.

-Sean

[url=http://www.herdofturtles.org]www.herdofturtles.org [/URL]
1984 Eagle Model 10S

Congratulations and the best of luck to you folks.....hopefully we will meet someday!

We plan on pulling the plug in about a year and it seems like forever.....

Mike and Lori
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"
"Just Misbehavein' "

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"

Offline TomC

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2013, 04:11:33 PM »
A good place to have your first winter is in Florida. It is very RV friendly with lots of RV types. Plus the weather is great with lots to do. Good luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Stormcloud

• FMCA#407220
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2013, 04:37:52 PM »
Fjord Tortoise ?
That's the Norwegian spelling of Ford Taurus.     ;D
Mark Morgan  
1972 MCI-7 'Papabus'
8v71N MT654 Automatic
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada in summer
somewhere near Yuma, Arizona in winter(but not 2020)

Offline travlinman

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 05:50:22 PM »
Wow

That was a really good story, thanks for telling it. Selling everything your own and moving into a wheeled home takes a lot of courage so congrats.

Seven years ago I did the same thing. Best decision I ever made.

Hope your road does not have to many bumps!

TM
Steve & Kristen Full time nomads since '06 - PD4106-674  8V71/V730
This bus is for sale - https://gm4106.wordpress.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal