Author Topic: Turbo Working?  (Read 6212 times)

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
Turbo Working?
« on: October 30, 2013, 05:18:59 PM »
I often wonder if my Turbo is working.  I don't hear it and it just seems really slow.  Would the bus run if the turbo didn't work?
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline luvrbus

Re: Turbo Working?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 05:24:26 PM »
If you are not blowing a huge amount of black  smoke it is working  ? you don't have a boost gauge on the bus  
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 05:27:51 PM »
No gauge, but never any smoke.  Runs good, runs clean.  Even cold starts are just a wisp of white smoke for moment then clear.  I've never seen black smoke from this bus.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 05:33:52 PM »
I don't mind going slow on the hills, but I worry about a stall.  This is my first experience climbing hills and at 25mph is was doing well, but it wasn't real mountain steep, just good hills.  Maybe there is one more gear down there... I don't know.  If I climb at 5mph and can keep the RPS high then I'm happy.

I'm not driving right now, and won't be in the bus for a few days... so remind me.  Is first gear lower than my 25mph at high rpm?
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 09:41:55 PM »
Dave -

As I said in the other thread, you need to swing by either Luke's in NJ or Joel's in Chattanooga, TN to have the turbo checked if you think it's not working properly.

If you've got a tach and you were doing about 25 mph @ 1800, you were probably in 2nd.  1st is usually only good to about 15 mph.

You need to find yourself a straight, quiet road to determine the maximum road speed in each of your transmission's lower gears.  Manually put the gearshift into 1st, then run it to the governor and check the speed.  Come to a stop, put it in 2nd and repeat.  Same thing for 3rd, (and for 4th, if you've got 1-2-3-4-D-N-R on the shift selector).  Once you've determined the max speed in each lower gear, put a dab of fingernail polish on the speedometer face at those speeds, so you'll know what gear's appropriate.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 05:06:08 AM »
   I take that fuel filters have been recently serviced...
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 05:14:55 AM »
Yup, new filters, new oil, new tires (not that tires are related, but for what they cost the deserve credit  ;D )

I don't have a Tach.. wish I did.  Was going to put one in but couldn't find the coil    :D  That's a some-day project
Yesterday, I drove with my foot on the floor almost the whole second half of the trip.  Never thought of manually shifting the automatic.  Figured that's why they call it "Automatic"

My other worry about the hills will be going DOWN.  So far that hasn't been an issue, but when the bigger hills happen....     I don't have Jakes.... just brakes and a car pushing.

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 05:23:28 AM »
Before you worry to much about it find out what the HP setting is on the engine that engine maybe set at 250 hp the 270 hp was the standard hp setting for that bus with the 6v92 with no heat build up along with no smoke it is probably a low hp engine    

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 07:05:16 AM »
How would I know the HP setting?
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 07:50:51 AM »
Look on the valve covers there should be 2 tags with info on how the engine is setup

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 08:18:36 PM »
All of the above is good advice. In addition, were I you I would find someone with a bit more understanding of the power and torque that your motor is capable of and have them test drive it with you, a worthwhile deal IMO,and might give you a bit of confidence. You say 25 mph.....that seems pretty good pulling a Impala.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline TomC

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 04:48:38 PM »
If it's a DDEC (electronic injection) either the valve cover tags will tell you or you can have the engine run at a Detroit engine dealer. If it is a mechanical engine, you can pull one of the valve covers to see what round tag is on the injector (like 9A75). We can tell pretty much what power you're putting out with which injector you have. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal