Author Topic: Starter mounting gasket?  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Low Class

Starter mounting gasket?
« on: October 31, 2013, 08:07:16 AM »
My 40MT had a 0.010 inch thick paper gasket between it and the bellhousing.  Of course it tore up when I removed the starter.  Do I need to replace it?

Some farm tractors have wet clutches and I can see why they would need a gasket, but I do not see why it is needed for a dry setup.

Will the starter seating an extra 0.010 matter?

Jim Keefauver/1985 Wanderlodge PT36/6V92TA/MT654CR/East Tn.

Offline Scott Crosby

• Bus Grease Monkey Forum
Re: Starter mounting gasket?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 08:15:50 AM »
I don't know about the 92 but my 71 series will leak trans fluid is that gasket on the starter is bad.  So it's not a dry setup on mine. 
61 GM Fishbowl TDH 4516 102" 35'
1947 GM PD 3751
www.busgreasemonkey.com

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:17:50 AM »
You don't need the gasket that is a dry bell housing and the ring gear is on the flex plate on for the 600 series transmission no adjustment needed the gasket probably came in the starter box and somebody just stuck in on they are not supposed to have a gasket

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Low Class

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 04:23:04 PM »
The good news is that I did not have to buy a new starter.  I decided to take the solenoid apart.  The contacts were in remarkably good conditon.  What I found was that the little internal wire to the ground terminal was loose.  I cleaned the contacts and all the terminals with a scotch-brite pad and put it back together.  Checked brushes and they appeared to have very little wear.

I got the starter installed.  Turned switch to start and nothing.  No lights or buzzers or anything.  Went to checking and found the end of the wire that connects the starter to the battery junction laying down beside the frame.  (it was connected at the starter end).  I had disconnected the batteries at the junction and it had fallen.  Connected the wire and tried to start again.  Fired instantly (68 degrees here).

Took nearly four hours to reinstall and I estimate it will take another hour to wash the black off my face and out of my hair.

At this moment, I am one happy camper.
Jim Keefauver/1985 Wanderlodge PT36/6V92TA/MT654CR/East Tn.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal