Author Topic: Looking for rolling home  (Read 26750 times)

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
Re: Looking for rolling home
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 04:04:09 PM »
Post what stuff?  I just made an observation.  In years past I have seen posts where these "ministries" wanted someone to donate a free bus conversion for their cause.  Sorry if you are offended.  I'm not sorry for anything else.  Put me on your "ignore" list.  I'm down to three from five.

--Geoff

Geoff,

Sometimes it's probably better to walk away from your computer before you type that kind of stuff.

They're new here. (Probably not for long now) and there's no way on God's green earth that kind of post be construed as "Not trying to knock someone".

Of course I could say I knew when I saw the person's name that posted that kind of remark it didn't surprise me either. Anybody else have the same feeling? Not knocking anyone just 10 years or so on the board…
As a smart, talented mechanic I can't imagine that feels very good to read that. Well, imagine if you just walked in the door.

Having been in ministry, and with my own share of questions regarding "Christian" behavior, I have disagreements with folks in ministry but not on a bus blog.

I am halfway out the door of this blog and I'm sure there are folks here that would like to see me all the way gone from here. Soon, guys, soon.

Rick
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline scanzel

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 05:31:13 PM »
I think we need to get off the subject as to what they do or any of use do for a living and try to answer their original questions. They are looking for help and what better place for some good advice. I think they need to look at what their budget is. Yes buses and store bought motorhomes can all get very expensive if you do not have the resources. My thought is if they really want a bus type vehicle is to look at some of the rock band conversions. Those have multiple bunks for the four of them and are usually set up for most of what would be needed to be on the road. Only they can make the final decision based on their finances and needs. I wish them good luck and may the Lord guide them in their decision.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 06:15:19 PM »
    I think that they should...ahhhh....ehhh.....err........nevermind. :-X
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 06:57:21 PM »
Hi All, I have always believed in the safety factor of a bus conversions over S&S, especially with a family,without regards to anything else, lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 01:40:19 AM »
Ya gotta laugh I guess, For me, I never had the glorious opinion of myself that I could buffalo others into handing me money for talking and smiling, my world has been with my two hands and a brain, I can make a good living and have been lucky too, considering the last schooling I had was 8th grade, no regrets, am the hapiest guy you will meet today.  SO getta a life seems to fit some unhappy folks and move on down the road.
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 02:38:04 AM »
 My family, my wife, and two children are in search of a bus to make our rolling home. ...  

I'm glad that you're doing your due diligence.  But I'd encourage you to think wider -- I've been involved with my bus for about 7 years now and I've been amazed at how much money, time and focus that this thing eats up.  I happen to love it because it's what I do -- my career was in the light vehicle business and I'm continually amazed at how that seemingly-similar occupation poorly prepared me for the challenges.

For most people, the smart, cheap way to live on the road is to rent motel rooms -- you walk in, pay a bit of money, use what's there, drop the towels on the floor and walk out.  I can't imagine using a bus for a lifestyle where you've "gotta be someplace by 4PM tomorrow".  Between purchase price, maintenance, equipment, fuel, and breakdowns, a bus means that a LOT of money goes flying out of your hands.

If you're up for hours a day where you spend time checking batteries and with oil jugs and wrenches in your hands -- and that doesn't distract from your purpose in life (I'm not saying that's bad, actually it is my purpose in life, but I know it's not for everyone) -- then consider a bus.  But if the demands of a rolling house that's only 7 and 1/2 feel wide for a family of four aren't reasonably doable, you might want to think really hard about if this is what you want to do.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 04:13:13 AM »
? what is the type or model bus he is looking at in Nashville, some in life choose to follow a different path than others and have different beliefs that makes us all unique in our own way

A fellow man looking for a rolling home for his wife and 2 kids, why this just because he is a preacher what did I miss here !

I have dealt with preachers before some I have had good luck with some not so good the same goes for all people   
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 08:32:37 AM »
Legacy - Don't let the harsh words get you dis-hearted from owning a bus.  These guys are tough/thick skinned and have seen many a person get all excited to own a bus, only to find out right after they purchased that its going to cost them a lot of money and time to get it rolling and a lot more money and time to keep it going and it quickly goes up for sale again or sits and rots.  On this board when we see people stating they are in "ministry" most of the time (not all)  it means they have no money to afford a bus, no skills to repair a bus and don't really know anything at all about swinging a hammer, using tools...etc. 

I have met many of the people from this board and each one has their own personality and view.  Everyone of them is crazy.  And everyone of them that I have met are salt of the earth and have some amazing and incredible skills. 

We have no idea who you are, what you do, what your skillset is or your budget is.  For all intent and purpose - You could be a millionaire looking at a $1.5m  Prevost in Nashville just searching for a good mechanic to look it over for you.

So help us out a bit -

1. What is your name?  Or nickname that you prefer to be called by?  Most of us here are real people and are more willing to help others if they are straightforward.
     2. What is your budget for the purchase and monthly costs for fuel/repairs etc?  you dont have to tell us all the details but let us know enough that shows you thought this through and are willing to pay the piper.
     3. What is your skillset/background?  Military?  Mechanic?  Pastor? 
     4.  What type of bus are you going to look at in Nashville?  Do you have pics?  A price in mind?

My family and I had no clue about buses when we first started our adventure and we are learning as we go along.  We were blessed with a budget big enough to get us where we need to be and God amazingly provides each and every time we are in need.   I've learned alot from this board and its been worth every penny and moment spent on getting us rolling down the road.  It is not easy.  It is expensive.  You will cut yourself and bleed at some point and plan to be greasy just about everyday you live on the bus (Except for Geoff, word is he never gets dirty cause his bus is so clean :) )

Blessings and hopefully the guys haven't scared you away :)

-Sean
www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

Offline Emcemv

• 1973 MCI MC-7 Combo
    • Pictures
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 09:28:51 AM »
Sean

Very, very well said! Exactly what I was thinking but couldn't put into words.

Bruce
Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 11:32:03 AM »
Sean thinks I'm salty! I've always called myself a pepper! Lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2013, 03:49:49 PM »
Well it does seem like i tend to draw blood anytime i do anything on the bus although usually it is minor and a lot of time i don't even know how or when i did it. :)  As for getting greasy every day? I go for weeks and even months without getting greasy, but then again i have gone for a lot of days in a row where i am either greasy or dirty......today was day three and i have one or two more to go before i am good to go again. ;D
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline scanzel

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2013, 03:13:30 AM »
Great words spoken by Seangie. Here is some info when I bought my bus. $400 to fly to Reno Nevada to pick it up, $30,000.00 check to seller. 4 day driving it home to east coast fuel and hotels $1800, power steering pump blew on way home. Once home took it to local bus company for total inspection and replace pump and clutch and do brake work $5200. 6 new back tires $1800. Blew an air bag at rv park, decide to change all 8 air bags and fix power steering box leak $4200. Working on converting it since 2005, probably have another $20,000 into it right now and still not done. We do use it but it is not finished. New paint job when I am ready $10,000 quote. My skills are more electrical and carpentry than mechanical so you can see that it can get very expensive. Added fuel last month for rv park stay $460. If you have the money buy one already done, many good deals out there. If you have time and skills go for it by doing it yourself. Good Luck !
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline Legacy

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »
I would like to lead off in sermon style...Praise the Lord! I also will tell you that some preachers (people in ministry) have not done any favors to those seeking God in their lives, most of them are or have been on television, wanting you to send them money so you can have them pray for you.  It is a tough hill to climb when all you really want to do is help people that need it. We, as people, not just preachers, need to build relationships.  This board helps people do just that.  The mission that God has placed before my family and I builds relationships.  We have visited over 45 cities/communities within the US in the two years that we have been in ministry.  We are not sponsored, we do not get a paycheck.  Our story, for this board's sake is this:

Name - Daniel
Budget - $30K (We have seen some really good deals out there so we think that this is a great price point for our first go around)
The bus we are looking at is a 1984 Eagle 10 - redone in 2008 as a RV - two bedrooms, two bathrooms, 10K on the rebuilt 8V-71 and tranny.  The gen was redone at the same time.  It has the wash/dryer on board with the extra bay for the tanks.  Dual axle in the rear.  I went ahead and had the shop pull the oil and trans fluid and have it sent in, they sent me the results which went to a diesel mechanic that is in the family and he said it looked good.  He will be coaching me through repairs/maintenance and such as I go.  We are looking at other coaches that are in the area that we happen to be in right now.  I will be posting a bus for those who are in the area and might already know about this bus for sale. 

I value each and every one of your opinion.  You are the ones I have asked help from.  You might get to say 'I told you so'....but I am betting that just as I have seen and heard that the bus community is much more than a club, just like being involved in a church congregation should mean more than just showing up at church, that if I need help along the way I will be able to come back and get it. 

On the other hand, learning what I have so far about coaches and I will learn more when I have one, I will be able to help someone along the way too.

I thank each one - Please see this link and let me know if you have seen/know about this bus.  http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvs/4117237745.html

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2013, 10:25:15 PM »
Everyone of us has some sort of experience with what ever bus we bought into. For this COOL Silver Eagle, wile it looks OK in the picture, I would be very afraid of what is lurking under the skin such as massive rust. If I had the uncontrollable desire to buy this one, I would limit my bid to the $5,000.00 MAX, their asking price is in the Looney Tune area in my world.
Good luck
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline Legacy

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2013, 11:31:06 PM »
Thank you Dave - and when I go see it Tuesday that is one of the things I will be looking for.  I am asking a bus owner to come with me to see it, drive it, and ask questions.  Your advise is well taken.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal