Author Topic: Slides  (Read 14596 times)

Offline dukegrad98

Re: Slides
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 06:15:15 PM »
I bought one with slides, mostly because it had them.  I now wish it did not; it's the primary reason the thing is not finished.  For what it's worth...

Cheers, John

Offline oltrunt

• A fine BCM outting
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 06:32:48 PM »
Dukegrad98,  could you be a little more specific about why you wish your coach did not have slides--it could be very helpful to me as I finish up building my slide.  Thanks. Jack

BTW I'm also a DOOK grad, 1971 graduate program---what are we doing with busses?  Ha Ha!

Offline dukegrad98

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 06:40:16 PM »
Jack, there are a multitude of issues, some that are probably common to slides, but some which may be unique to my unit.  I'm a second-hand owner of some home-made slides in a Prevost chassis.  They are not stiff enough to work without interior rollers on the floor, even after significant structural welding in the box.  So they result in uneven floor heights.  They were built on a chain-drive mechanism that I would characterize only as adequate.  I'm no engineer, but rams or screw drives seem like they would be significantly better and take up a lot less space underneath.  Finally, the biggest practical concern is the leaking.  I have seriously considered replacing all the seal materials I have tried with a weld bead.  I understand why the prior owner stored this thing indoors...  There's about a 90% probability that I'm getting out of this business in the next few months -- a good chassis with a floor plan which I have greatly improved (you can now actually open the fridge without extending the main slide...) will be available to someone with more patience than I've got to finish it up. 

Cheers, John

Offline Van

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 03:55:46 AM »
I've had good results with http://happijac.com/index.php/products/slide-outs  03 XLII  3 slides  ;)
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 04:12:47 AM »
If you want to look at slides check out the Foretravel and Newells they got right and Prevost since 2004 has made head way but Marathon still does their own in the Prevost

Me personally with owning a 5th wheel with 3 happijac slides I'll take a 102 wide bus over one with slides any day my wife is a big slide fan but she is not the one that has to work on the things either  ??? 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Van

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 04:21:09 AM »
Clifford, I know you don't do FBook but for those that do there are some extensive photo's of some new builds here https://www.facebook.com/marathoncoach Clifford have Sonja pull the site up  ;)

Van
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 04:47:35 AM »
  I bought one with slides, mostly because it had them.  I now wish it did not; it's the primary reason the thing is not finished.  For what it's worth...

Cheers, John 

Hey, John, I hear the deep disappointment and frustration in what you're saying here and I'm just sorry about that.  I know that you had hopes for your bus and you put a lot of work into it earlier.  Sometimes a person can get a "second wind" and push through -- other times, the thing to do is to cut losses.  Whatever you decide to do, I hope that it works out for you.  But I feel a lot of sympathy for your situation there.

Best wishes,  "uncgrad72"
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 05:08:49 AM »
My home made slide system was that! It required the bus to be leveled to work best in rain conditions. I lived in it months in all type of weather. Heavy driving rain with little leaking--define== something that was just damp to touch small area.Chain drive-- Low cost to make and method selected was least apt to cause breakdown.  Everything has trade-off.  Decide what you can trade.. Will I retract the ones I just built in the 98 if heavy rain is forecast?  Yes  Have they been  in the rain --- yes   one had a leak   bedroom-- found problem  easy fix  so good to go now on them.  Haven't installed slide awnings yet and that will give added protection and keep leaves etc off top.  Life is Trade off and challenges !  respect to all and do it your way!!!   Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline sledhead

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 02:49:42 PM »
I to have had a home made slide which I installed in 2005 and have never had a leak or wind noise or even adjusted it even though I installed 5 adjustment points . It runs in and out with a belt driven to chain to solid axel very  very  simple . All parts are off the shelf from princess auto   ( like harbour freight )  except the drive cogs and track witch I ordered from a machine parts store        ( cost about $ 350 )  I have always used the KISS system . Would not have a r v with out one             dave   
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline bansil

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 12:08:54 PM »
not exactly slides but still pimp  ;D

2009 Barbie Pink World Glamour Camper Commercial

more flop down and spring up  :-*
Doug
Mnt City TN
 Member of:

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 03:10:28 PM »
Flop down:

Flop down and spring up:

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal