Author Topic: 1994 MCI 102D3 vs. 1999 Prevost La Mirage XL (Can't decide)  (Read 22340 times)

Offline michael11

Re: 1994 MCI 102D3 vs. 1999 Prevost La Mirage XL (Can't decide)
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 08:02:38 PM »
Thanks for the insight... I suppose that if the front has had work done to it.. The rear may not be far behind. Afterall, I am in a Canadian rust belt..

A few things about the Prevost that are nice - Driver's seat is an air seat. Disc brakes.

hmmmm.

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 08:11:48 PM »
Disc brakes on the Prevost? That would almost seal the deal for me. I really wish ours had disc brakes.
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline TomC

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 10:58:51 PM »
Since it is almost identical, if you do choose the Cat 3176, you can replace it with the C12. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline michael11

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 04:16:59 AM »
Since it is almost identical, if you do choose the Cat 3176, you can replace it with the C12. Good Luck, TomC

Good point! I hadn't thought of that...

Offline Jon

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 04:17:25 AM »
With the price of older Prevost conversions being as cheap as they are today I wouldn't touch either bus with a 10 foot pole.

With a little patience and some research professionally converted Prevost coaches are available for far, far less than you could convert your own, even if you valued your labor at $0. You cannot even acquire the parts for what some conversions are selling for. And if you want a project to express your inner creative desires buy one and redo the interior or systems to your heart's content. Even with a completed older conversion there is plenty to do on one.
Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2013, 04:49:59 AM »
I am with you Jon a low mileage Prevost motorhome built on a new chassis, without good documentation I would not touch that bus 

The 60 series is at the mileage where it is going to need work if that is the original B500 it is going to need work,one hasn't lived till he buys parts to rebuild the IFS on those,the Knorr brakes are like robbing a bank to rebuild great brakes but expensive to work on and don't think for a minute a Prevost won't rust 

There is just something about the asking price for the bus that scares me it could be a diamond or a sex stone he needs to look past the price and do a lot of home work before parting with his cash IMO
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2013, 05:28:50 AM »
 Some people are just BUSNUTS!!   ;D
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2013, 05:44:42 AM »
Again the Prevost if you must build. I understand the possible reasons.  Cost upfront--delay cash outlay..over time... personal pride of the build...the challenge... to be different..  look at my project!  Do you see anything normal about mine? Parts and tech support for your coach from prevost next to none!  visit prevostcar.com  look up under tech publications and you will find wiring diagrams for your coach by unit number. The wires have numbers tattooed on them every few inches. If you have 70 or 8o grand laying around you can prob buy a factory conversion of same vintage ready to roll.  Prob a home done one in the 30-40 range. if you lucky.  Just my opinion--If I wanted to be like everyone else well you finish that thought..........
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline michael11

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2013, 06:33:51 AM »
Thanks.. I don't know why.. but I do want to convert myself. Honestly.. I am not a fan of leather, marble and mirrors.. I know most do like that style, but it is just not me....

Some pros and cons:

Prevost -
Pros-
-Drives nice
-No restroom to tear out
-This was a GO Transit unit that was retired 2010. FWIW, I am sure that the coach was well kept at least until then.
-I like the Stainless exterior.
-I like the idea of disc brakes
-I like the idea of a seat with air
-Still has the LCD display (not sure why I like that..could be fun)
-Series 60 with an Allison B500R
Cons-
-Allison B500R haha...
-Can't say for sure how long this has been sitting.
-I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling from the seller..lol
-No recent history
-Coach has a wheelchair access door on the side. (although that might not be a bad thing..)
-Steel wheels have rust
-Body wrap that would probably take forever to remove
-will need a few patches in the luggage bays

MCI 102D3
Pros-
-Drives nice
-I feel very comfortable with the seller. Actually one of the owners came to my Wedding
-Full service history
-Cosmetically better. Cleaner luggage bays
-Alcoa Wheels
-In service until Oct. 31
Cons-
-not a series 60
-manual trans (although can also go in pros, because it is way cheaper to own down the road)

ERRRR...

Offline michael11

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2013, 06:34:47 AM »
Again the Prevost if you must build. I understand the possible reasons.  Cost upfront--delay cash outlay..over time... personal pride of the build...the challenge... to be different..  look at my project!  Do you see anything normal about mine? Parts and tech support for your coach from prevost next to none!  visit prevostcar.com  look up under tech publications and you will find wiring diagrams for your coach by unit number. The wires have numbers tattooed on them every few inches. If you have 70 or 8o grand laying around you can prob buy a factory conversion of same vintage ready to roll.  Prob a home done one in the 30-40 range. if you lucky.  Just my opinion--If I wanted to be like everyone else well you finish that thought..........

We are on the same page.. you and I..

I don't want payments..!

Offline Jerry32

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2013, 06:48:57 AM »
I would take the Prevost and not worry about the tranny as if it works ok now you may not use it enough to fail as an RV it won't be doing start and stop driving. No doubt you won't accumulate the miles that a commercial rig does. Jerry
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

Offline michael11

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2013, 06:55:12 AM »
I would take the Prevost and not worry about the tranny as if it works ok now you may not use it enough to fail as an RV it won't be doing start and stop driving. No doubt you won't accumulate the miles that a commercial rig does. Jerry

You know.. I was thinking that too. I will probably never even put 100000 miles on it in my lifetime.. :'(

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2013, 07:17:04 AM »
Michael - I wonder about your statement of not putting on 100,000 miles.  I think it depends upon your particular age and economic condition.  I was 30 when I bought our bus.  We have now put over 70,000 miles on it.  With diesel prices having stabilized under $5/gal I don't see us slowing down at all.  There is still so much of the country we want to explore.  There are many more places we want to take our kids.  So - just carefully weigh your view of usage so as to not make a short sighted decision now.

Have fun!  I still remember my feelings and excitement when looking at our bus.  The drive home from California to MN in November was very memorable with a non-working heater!

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2013, 07:23:42 AM »
Your best insurance is go to a CAT dealer and buy the sampling kit take samples from the radiator,differential, engine oil and the transmission then have somebody pull all the information from the ECU on both engines.

If the center bore is going out of the 60 series a sample from the radiator will pick that up I don't know if a oil sample will pickup the bull gear bearings wear maybe or maybe not  

I just have that feeling the Prevost seller is not telling all
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline lostagain

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2013, 07:38:33 AM »
I have some experience with a '95 D3 with S60 and 7 speed manual Eaton/Fuller, having maintained and driven that bus for a hockey team for several years. I don't know anything about Prevosts.

That D was all stainless. The only rust issues were on the side panels (galvanized) above the baggage tanks. Also electrical wiring was always a concern because of corrosion brought on by moisture and road salts: in the panel outside below driver, in the battery compartment, in the engine compartment (Webasto), above in and around the rad and intercooler fans. Otherwise a really good, solid, basic coach. Thousands were built, good support from MCI and independent shops and suppliers.

7 speed manual: if you have driven buses and/or trucks before, you know what you are getting into. If not here is my opinion: nice low 1st gear will climb up a tree. Plenty of gears for all conditions. Indestructible (almost). Fuel efficient. But straight cut gears: you will have to learn how to shift it, and even once good at it, you still have to pay attention every inch of the way and concentrate to shift it properly. It is fun and easy to shift for the first few hours into a trip, but coming home at 4 in the morning from a far away game, I wished I had an automatic, even though I have driven buses millions of miles with straight cut manuals. And neither your wife or friends are likely to be able to drive your bus, which might be necessary one day when you get hurt or become ill in the middle of a trip. Oh and reselling a bus with a manual some day will be hard. Most people will want an automatic. As much as I like manuals myself, autos are SO nice and easy to drive. Good luck.

JC

JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal