Author Topic: Air Compressor  (Read 5666 times)

Offline Danny

• 87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...
    • Personal Web Page
Air Compressor
« on: April 22, 2006, 09:16:14 PM »
What type air compressor would the group recommend to mount in the bus for aux air?

Thanks,
Danny
I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)

Offline pvcces

Re: Air Compressor
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 09:49:54 PM »
Danny, a half horsepower tankless airs our coach in about 10 minutes and it doesn't crowd the inverter. That's about 2 cfm at 90 psi.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Offline mred

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 04:03:50 PM »
What type air compressor would the group recommend to mount in the bus for aux air?

Thanks,
Danny

Offline jraynor

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 09:37:53 AM »
For those with an MCI 102 Series, Which is the best port to fill the air lines? I have tried from the back passenger side and got no air flow from the compressor. There is a line in the front that I haven't tried that is listed as emergency. I forgot about this one when I was messing around with it. I have been considering adding a compressor so that it would quicken the moving process
Jonathan
1986 TMC 102A3 6V92TA Currently Under Reno

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 10:24:31 AM »
I added a quick-connect to the ping tank drain valve, on MCI's the little pipe looking thing that the main hose from the compressor goes to first.  It fills through the air dryer, so the air governor has to be on a fill cycle for it to fill, if the air dryer is in discharge all the air falls out at the air dryer.  I also added a quick connect to the auxiliary tank beneath the driver (on my bus anyway) that I use to take air out of the system for any purpose, like filling tires.  The emergency fill valve is connected only to the parking brake system and will let you release the parking brake but nothing else.
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 06:27:17 PM »
This is a new item at harbor freight. I have a similar sears unit. It should work well and not take up much space. Handle can be easily removed. If you need more capacity or want an oil type compressor, they have them also.

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/8-gallon-15-hp-150-psi-oil-free-portable-air-compressor-64294.html
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline DominicM

• 67 MCI
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 06:51:40 PM »
I installed. https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/4-gal-2-hp-125-psi-twin-tank-air-compressor-62763.html.

I installed it in the area forward of the forward bay where the original AC blowers were.   I added an on off switch, oiler, air separator, and regulator as well as remote quick disconnects. 

It has come in handy to use to fill tires, operated air tools, and the air assisted jack.

67 MCI 5A
I live in Nashville,  and Reside in my 5A in Big Spring TX for work at the moment,  Will update as I move around.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 08:07:55 PM »
Airing up a coach is a big job.

Spend your money now, or over time?

The oil-less compressors will not last as long, tough duty cycle, but they are inexpensive.

Oil lubricated will stand up longer, and cost more.

I would buy as big CFM, oil lubed, as what will fit in the available space.

Adding some decent air filtration will greatly enhance the lifespan, most compressors have absolute crap for an intake filter.

Suck in dirt, kiss it goodbye.

Newbies, your bays are, and will be, dirty. Wait awhile, you'll see...

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 08:15:14 PM »
I installed. https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/4-gal-2-hp-125-psi-twin-tank-air-compressor-62763.html.

I installed it in the area forward of the forward bay where the original AC blowers were.   I added an on off switch, oiler, air separator, and regulator as well as remote quick disconnects. 

It has come in handy to use to fill tires, operated air tools, and the air assisted jack.
That's exactly what I also have.   It's noisy, but for the few times I use it who cares?   Being an oil-type compressor it should outlast the oil-less ones  -  and yes, I use straight 40-weight CF-2 in it!   Mine's plumbed through a small filter that takes out a surprising amount of moisture on even moderately humid days, then into the accessories tank.   This tank supplies three air outlets around the bus for tools, inflating tires, etc.   If I need to air the entire bus in an emergency I can open a valve between the accessories and wet tanks, and the compressor's tank drain next to my front door has an Amflo air fitting on it for when a tow truck has to connect its air to the bus to release the brakes for towing.

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline jraynor

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 07:01:06 AM »
Airing up a coach is a big job.

Spend your money now, or over time?

The oil-less compressors will not last as long, tough duty cycle, but they are inexpensive.

Oil lubricated will stand up longer, and cost more.

I would buy as big CFM, oil lubed, as what will fit in the available space.

Adding some decent air filtration will greatly enhance the lifespan, most compressors have absolute crap for an intake filter.

Suck in dirt, kiss it goodbye.

Newbies, your bays are, and will be, dirty. Wait awhile, you'll see...

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior

Is this the type you are talking about ?

If so, they are on sale now
Jonathan
1986 TMC 102A3 6V92TA Currently Under Reno

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 07:13:10 AM »
Yup, that's the style.

You can choose to leave it assembled, so you can take itout and do other things,

Or

Take the machinery part off the top and mount in the coach, coach already has enough tanks.

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 11:40:11 AM »
If you use the tank that comes with it, it will catch most of the water and any other crap.Just be sure to have an easily accessible drain on it. I dont think the previous owner ever drained my onboard compressor. I drained 8 gallons of water out of it.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Jim Blackwood

• Call me Doc, or call me arsehole, just don't call me late to dinner.
  • I'm 25% Farnsworth ;-)> 1996-MCI 102DL3
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 12:00:10 PM »
The nice thing about those direct drive compressors is that they are compact and cheap. The capacity is usually lower both in terms of pressure and flow, and the long term durability is questionable. But if you aren't using it every day... Just determine how much flow and pressure you need, add 25% or more, and buy one. If you plan to run air tools off it, your highest demand tool will probably determine your needs. Any bus already has an air tank and a filter/drier. I see no reason to take up space in duplicating what is already there.

Jim
I saw it on the Internet. It MUST be true...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal