Author Topic: Hello to my new Bus Friends!  (Read 13545 times)

Offline Bryan

Hello to my new Bus Friends!
« on: November 18, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »
Hey guys. Brand new here on the forum. I just bought a 1967 GM 4107 and of course I'm excited. I've already learned a lot from you guys already, but wanted to go ahead and join and say hello. I'm going to be spending the next 6 weeks doing some work on the bus. I have some questions coming soon that hopefully you can help me out with! Thanks!

Bryan
1996 Prevost XL
1967 PD4107
Toccoa, GA

Offline bcbusman

• 1991 Setra S 215 DHD, 1989 MCI 102C3, 1972 Flyer D700A
  • NOT BOUGHT, " BUILT "
    • My Setra build
Re: Hello to my new Bus Friends!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 09:26:03 PM »
Wow, nice bus  :)

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 09:27:40 PM »
Hey guys. Brand new here on the forum. I just bought a 1967 GM 4107 and of course I'm excited. I've already learned a lot from you guys already, but wanted to go ahead and join and say hello. I'm going to be spending the next 6 weeks doing some work on the bus. I have some questions coming soon that hopefully you can help me out with! Thanks!

Yeah, do you know how to spell "6 weeks" in bus talk???  Try "The-Rest-Of-Your-Life"!  (It's a good thing that we love it.)
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline Bryan

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 09:38:40 PM »
    Yeah, do you know how to spell "6 weeks" in bus talk???  Try "The-Rest-Of-Your-Life"!  (It's a good thing that we love it.)

haha! yes, so I have heard! I'm sure we will always be upgrading it as we go. I have 6 weeks off the road to spend extra time now :-)
Bryan
1996 Prevost XL
1967 PD4107
Toccoa, GA

Offline muldoonman

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 09:42:58 PM »
Welcome Bryan. There will always be something to change, fix, or install and that's a fact. A lot of good ideas here for sure.  Take care and keep us posted.

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 10:34:48 PM »
Bryan -

Welcome aboard!  Nice looking 4107, appears that a PO invested some TLC.  Couple of things:

What's the VIN on your coach?  PD4107-XXXX?  I or JLV can give you original purchase history from that info.

Second, take a couple minutes to update your forum profile to include a signature line similar to mine below.  Simply click on the Profile tab above, then on the Forum Profile Info option in the LH menu.  Follow the prompts and you're good to go.  By doing so, we can give you more intelligent answers to your questions by knowing what you've got, and we can do a better job of directing you to local parts & service help by knowing approximately where you are.  Added bonus: You might just find out that there's another busnut in your neighborhood!

Third, there are other bus-related bulletin boards you might also be interested in, here are two links:  www.busnut.com (affectionately known as BNO) and the GMC BusNuts group on Yahoo (http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/gmc-busnuts/info).  Happy reading!

One last thing - if you've been reading some of the archives, you'll find that there's quite a cast of characters that haunt the bus bulletin boards.  Sometimes the flak can get pretty thick, however most is well-intentioned - at least in the mind of the character flinging the flak.  So take things with a grain of salt until you figure out who's who and what's what, then you can jump in and join the shenanigans!

Again, welcome aboard!

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Bryan

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 11:50:48 PM »
Bryan -

Welcome aboard!  Nice looking 4107, appears that a PO invested some TLC.  Couple of things:

What's the VIN on your coach?  PD4107-XXXX?  I or JLV can give you original purchase history from that info.

Second, take a couple minutes to update your forum profile to include a signature line similar to mine below.  Simply click on the Profile tab above, then on the Forum Profile Info option in the LH menu.  Follow the prompts and you're good to go.  By doing so, we can give you more intelligent answers to your questions by knowing what you've got, and we can do a better job of directing you to local parts & service help by knowing approximately where you are.  Added bonus: You might just find out that there's another busnut in your neighborhood!

Third, there are other bus-related bulletin boards you might also be interested in, here are two links:  www.busnut.com (affectionately known as BNO) and the GMC BusNuts group on Yahoo (http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/gmc-busnuts/info).  Happy reading!

One last thing - if you've been reading some of the archives, you'll find that there's quite a cast of characters that haunt the bus bulletin boards.  Sometimes the flak can get pretty thick, however most is well-intentioned - at least in the mind of the character flinging the flak.  So take things with a grain of salt until you figure out who's who and what's what, then you can jump in and join the shenanigans!

Again, welcome aboard!

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)

Thanks RJ!!! The VIN is PD4107-756

I'm excited to be here and thankful for people like you willing to help! I actually stumbled across busnut.com the other day and signed up, still waiting on approval to be a part of the forum :-) I guess it takes a while sometimes?

P.S. - updated my signature! thanks  ;)
Bryan
1996 Prevost XL
1967 PD4107
Toccoa, GA

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 04:51:33 AM »
 haha! yes, so I have heard! I'm sure we will always be upgrading it as we go. I have 6 weeks off the road to spend extra time now :-)  

At least you bought one already converted.  I am building mine and people always ask "is the bus finished yet?"  I tell them "there are three 'finished' --
Finished # 1)  When it has a kitchen, a bed, a bathroom and shower, a place to sit and it rolls down the road ...
Finished # 2)  After #1, and when it has carpet on the floor and curtains in the windows ...
Finished # 3)  After #2, when I die!"
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline rgrauto

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 05:49:04 AM »
Hello Bryan and welcome to the forum. I see that you are located in Toccoa Ga. I live in Demorest Ga. so we are not far from each other so if I can be any help or if you need to talk message me or Facebook me,Glen Rice,Demorest Ga.,also that is a good looking bus.

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 07:06:29 PM »
The VIN is PD4107-756

Bryan -

Your coach was delivered new in May of 1967 as fleet number 431 to Manhattan Transit Co, HQ'd in E Paterson, NJ.

So it's a Rust Belt car, which means you need to take some time down the road and carefully inspect the coach.  Look around the front roof cap and windows where the original Buffalo hump used to be, ditto around the rear window cap.  If you get a chance to run it over a pit, inspect the undercarriage really well, especially where all the suspension points attach.

This is not to say that the coach hasn't been well taken care of, more of just highlighting some of the concern areas with this model GMC that's been operated in the NE.

RE: BNO.  Sometimes it takes Ian a little bit to respond.  If you don't get access w/in the next couple days, send an email to bossnut@busnut.com and ask him to expedite your access.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Bryan

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 10:45:54 PM »
Bryan -

Your coach was delivered new in May of 1967 as fleet number 431 to Manhattan Transit Co, HQ'd in E Paterson, NJ.

So it's a Rust Belt car, which means you need to take some time down the road and carefully inspect the coach.  Look around the front roof cap and windows where the original Buffalo hump used to be, ditto around the rear window cap.  If you get a chance to run it over a pit, inspect the undercarriage really well, especially where all the suspension points attach.

This is not to say that the coach hasn't been well taken care of, more of just highlighting some of the concern areas with this model GMC that's been operated in the NE.

RE: BNO.  Sometimes it takes Ian a little bit to respond.  If you don't get access w/in the next couple days, send an email to bossnut@busnut.com and ask him to expedite your access.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)

Thanks so much for the info RJ!
Bryan
1996 Prevost XL
1967 PD4107
Toccoa, GA

Offline gus

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 06:10:03 PM »
Nice looking bus!! Mine is s/n 152. Except for the windows it looks a lot like mine.

Along with what RJ said, mine came from Vermont Bus Lines which is probably worse salt-wise than NJ, and, luckily, it doesn't have any real rust problems. A few spots, but minor.

What transmission and steering setup do you have?

I've had recent problems with my voltage regulator but no real serious problems in three years.

Let me know of any specific problems, maybe I've already been there.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline JohnVickrey

• 1960 PD 4104-4541
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 05:18:23 AM »
Hey, Bryan and RGauto.  Lets start our own Georgia Busnuts Club.  (See we have a name already.)  I know several people who would be interested.  If your bus needs some exercise we have water and electric, come and visit for a while. 

Glen, I still can't play it. :(

Bryan, Welcome to the madness.
John Vickrey   -   Dearing, GA
About 2 hours East of ATL on I-20 and 4 miles south of I-20.
Got Electricity and Water for 4-5 coaches.  Less that a mile to a
dumpstation.  Stop by and sit a spell.

Offline Bryan

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 08:22:16 AM »
Nice looking bus!! Mine is s/n 152. Except for the windows it looks a lot like mine.

Along with what RJ said, mine came from Vermont Bus Lines which is probably worse salt-wise than NJ, and, luckily, it doesn't have any real rust problems. A few spots, but minor.

What transmission and steering setup do you have?

I've had recent problems with my voltage regulator but no real serious problems in three years.

Let me know of any specific problems, maybe I've already been there.

Gus, glad to know that you didn't have many rust issues. It's a 4 speed manual. It grinds a little (which I've learned is normal in this model) I would love to have an automatic someday. I also would like to install power steering but don't know much about it. The POs already have a used unit from another bus, just the box, no pump, or lines. I've also heard about Shepard but don't know much about power steering at all. I actually posted another topic about this hoping I could learn more about it. Do you have any suggestions?
Bryan
1996 Prevost XL
1967 PD4107
Toccoa, GA

Offline Bryan

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 08:24:51 AM »
Hey, Bryan and RGauto.  Lets start our own Georgia Busnuts Club.  (See we have a name already.)  I know several people who would be interested.  If your bus needs some exercise we have water and electric, come and visit for a while. 

Glen, I still can't play it. :(

Bryan, Welcome to the madness.

John, I'm only about 2.5 hours from you. I may stop by while passing thru sometime.
Bryan
1996 Prevost XL
1967 PD4107
Toccoa, GA

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal